The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Harold Sterling (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

boboneO
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of boboneO
Anyone out there old enough to remember Harold Sterling's shop on John R Street in Detroit? I spent many a happy Saturday there when I was a kid just starting out in magic. I remember watching Harold's demonstrator, Karrell Fox, who at that time was only a couple of years older than I, working wonders. Frequent visitors to the shop were Milt Kort and whoever was in town playing the Shubert Theater, including Blackstone and Dante; and I remember the first few things I purchased with my paper route money: Time Flies (by Grant) and the Buddha Temple Screen; the Haunted Pack (which I still use in restaurant work) and Sponge Rabbits. There were no videos to learn from and only a small library of magical literature compared to what is available to today's beginners; so it was necessary to hang around the traditional magic shops to watch and learn from the professionals who hung out with us beginners on a Saturday. I'm sorry to see the days of the traditional magic shops drawing to a close but I am thankful for the new teaching resources available today and amazed to see so many young magi who could run circles around the best that were around 50 years ago.
MagicalArtist
View Profile
Veteran user
Hobart, Indiana
369 Posts

Profile of MagicalArtist
Don't remember his shop but I know Sterling did compile a section in Kid Stuff 6, and some of his show’s promotional literature is over on the Library of Congress’ American Memory website.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Sterling's catalog was my BIBLE when I started out... and Harold's Short and Long Rope trick is one I still do to this day. I loved his little catalog.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Harold Sterling (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL