The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Unripped" at expertmagic.com (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Jaymz023
View Profile
Veteran user
Midwest
356 Posts

Profile of Jaymz023
Sean, I don't know if you have spoke about this yet--but what is the differenc in effect between Fusion and Fusion 2??
Creator of "Re-Attached" an easy piece by piece Torn and Restored card routine.

http://www.lybrary.com/reattached-p-250.html
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Quote:
On 2004-07-30 09:24, McScratchy wrote:
The fact that the card is not imediately examinable at the end does not make the routine a bluff

I see the comments made here about this effects examinable quality, from what I can decipher from the people here and from the creator him self is it’s examinable at some points and not at others. where and at what points is this effect examinable? The point of the signature being removed seems to be where the examinable part stops and is handout able, Am I correct?

Magically

Aus
McScratchy
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
114 Posts

Profile of McScratchy
Hi Aus
The card can be handed out after the 4th piece has been restored (This part is optional). After the creases have been removed and the signature peeled off..it can be examined.
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
Aus,

It can be handed out, examinability however differs. I prefer not to hand something out unless its examinable. Like I said, you just tore and restored thier signed card. However if they examine it, they will find out the secret, unless your really lucky. I suggest you do not hand it out.
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
McScratchy
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
114 Posts

Profile of McScratchy
Spectator Control plays a big part at this point in the routine. You only hand them the card for a brief moment while you continue with your patter that the card is still only half way restored. You don't give them the opportunity to find the secret. You don't instruct them to examine it. The timing is very important but it does work when done properly. I use this subtelty about 95% of the time. There are situations where it wise not to do it. I don't feel this hurts the routine becasue I still recieve amazing reactions when I do this trick. I also think that the less time you waste over-proving the trick the better it is to the spectator.

Let me ask the readers of this thread some questions: When you watched Copperfield perform "Torn Asunder" on TV were you fooled? Did you get to examine the card? Did Wayne Gretzky get to examine the card before the creases were ironed out? Was Torn Asunder not still a great piece of magic regardless of how it was done?

Anyway, just wanted to throw out some food for thought.

-Gared Crawford Smile
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
"When you watched Copperfield perform "Torn Asunder" on TV were you fooled?"

Yes.

"Did you get to examine the card?Did Wayne Gretzky get to examine the card before the creases were ironed out?"

Here is where your analogy falls. Even after the creases are ironed out, the SIGNATURE is still there. If you can give a method to iron out the creases and still have the signature there then you have a miracle on your hands. While the signature is there, I'm assuming he handed it back and the card is examinable.
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
McScratchy
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
114 Posts

Profile of McScratchy
Yes Neo....that would be a miracle!

Actually the card was never handed back until the signature was removed. Yes they did have a brief two second shot of the crease free card with Greztky's signature still on it. One thing we will never know is how much preparation was involved in Torn Asunder and if it was even practical for non-TV performances.

There were a lot of angle shifts in the broadcasting of Torn Asunder so anything could have been changed between takes. I would like to think that it was all legitimate. I am afraid Kenner and Copperfield got the best of us with that da%# trick and it may never be public knowledge to the magic community. However, thanks to this fact, we now have the motivation to keep trying.

The only reason I brought up Torn Asunder was to point out that it was a powerful piece of magic even though it was on TV and was very suspicious. It was not my intention to compare it to UnRipped.

-Gared Crawford Smile
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
Hi Gared,

Please don't my posts as hard feelings (I don't think you were anyway, however other posters may feel so). I am just bringing in some points, and I appreciate this discussion, as we can all learn from it. I agree with you on Torn Asunder, its a mystery what went on there. About Unripped, I do feel the routine is powerful. I just have this little voice in me that wants to to allow the spectator to keep the card while its signed. However your handling brought much ease. I also like your routine which actaully makes sense and brings motivation to a T&R.

Keep on creating,

Neo
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1982 Posts

Profile of The Mac
Okay I have a choice torn by daniel garcia (harder for me to get..or unripped..I'm looking for practicality..as well as astonishment..

if you were me../which would you get?
Jaymz023
View Profile
Veteran user
Midwest
356 Posts

Profile of Jaymz023
UnRipped--
Creator of "Re-Attached" an easy piece by piece Torn and Restored card routine.

http://www.lybrary.com/reattached-p-250.html
Michele
View Profile
Veteran user
Taiwan
301 Posts

Profile of Michele
Me too, Unripped.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
I do not own this effect or wish to, However a personal observation is that to even the most stupid person in the world if the signiture is removed from the card they signed then they know it is a different card!

It kind of blows the effect for me.
Phillip
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
I would choose TOrn.
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
dg magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston , TX.
350 Posts

Profile of dg magic
I say get which ever one you want...i would choose unripped...hehehe...either one is a good routine....it just depends on the situation you are going to be performing your effect...and what your personal preference on handeling, difficulty, and tequnique is ..... I'm going to be in Las Vegas lecturing at LVMI so if you are there you can pick a video up....also...Torn has a new handeling that is not released yet.....and will not be released for a while...where ALL 4 pieces are kept in plain view the whole time...and there is NO GOING TO THE POCKET for anything..NO COVER..and still not diffucult....if you attend the lecture...you will get a sneak peek of the handeling as well as a Torn and restored workshop for those who have purchased torn...but thawts then and this is now...so choose whichever you like and whichever maked you happy.

thanks
D. Garcia
-Truth is made up of two things... FACT... and the ability to believe it-
swiftshifter
View Profile
New user
Philippines
94 Posts

Profile of swiftshifter
So many versions...Got a few questions though. When was the efect invented, I mean, the one with the cards torn into pieces? And just how old is this? I am asking because I saw this on Copperfield's 15 Years of Magic wheren he used a small card that looks like a stamp or something.
multiply
View Profile
Loyal user
England (Olde!)
202 Posts

Profile of multiply
Hi.
I purchased 'Unripped' on DVD last week (I'm in the UK) and found this forum while searching for other people's opinions on the trick.
Firstly, what a forum! I'm amazed I haven't come across this before.
Anyway, I just wanted to say that I am pretty impressed with Unripped. Making the Gaff is a pain in the ***, and the trick itself requires a lot of practice. However, the end effect is fantastic and I would say is the best T&R routine I have used.

Speaking of which, I read about Daniel Garcia's Torn earlier in this thread, but it doesn't seem to be available in the UK. Does anyone know where I could purchase and download, or is it only on VHS/DVD?

Also, I will be keeping a keen eye open for Fusion2 which sounds very promising indeed...!
Gary B
McScratchy
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
114 Posts

Profile of McScratchy
Hi SwiftShifter,
The torn and restored card has been around for a long time. I am not sure of the very first in print.

The effect you saw on Copperfield's special was a creation of Chris Kenner. "Torn Asunder" can be seen in full on Copperfield's Fires of Passion special. Copperfield performed it with a Wagner baseball card valued at 1/2 a million dollars, it was owned by Wayne Gretzky. It was stunning magic!

I heard a story that Kenner sent this to Copperfield and some other people on a video tape and that no one could figure it out. What they didn't know was that the explanation was also on the tape at the end. I also stumbled onto Chris Kenner's highschool alumni newsletter and they vaguely described this trick as the trick that got him his job with Copperfield.

I don't know how much of this is true but it makes for an interesting story. After "torn asunder" hit the air it seems there have been new piece by piece T&R's every few years. Torn Asunder was the primary inspiration for both Daniel's "Torn" and my "UnRipped" effect. I also believe that it played a large role in Sean Field's "Fusion".

-Gared Crawford Smile
Sean Fields
View Profile
V.I.P.
Winnipeg
894 Posts

Profile of Sean Fields
It most certainly did. Torn Asunder fooled me so badly as a young magician, I was sure that Copperfield sold his soul.

Not wanting to sell my soul, I developed the original Fusion shortly after seeing the Fires of Passion special.

I performed Fusion for years, but had no ambition to teach it to anyone, but at the constant prodding from magicians for so many years, I finally released it.

During the years following the creation of the original Fusion, I developed many other T&R effects, some piece by piece, some not. The best of the best will be taught on the FU2 DVD.

Since Copperfield performed Torn Asunder, it is spectacular to see how many creative magicians have developed handlings of the now classic piece by piece restoration.

With handlings such as Torn, UnRipped, and Seamless, I can only look forward to seeing the evolution of this effect.

Sean
Paul Hughes
View Profile
Regular user
UK
123 Posts

Profile of Paul Hughes
Quote:
On 2004-09-09 08:29, multiply wrote:
Speaking of which, I read about Daniel Garcia's Torn earlier in this thread, but it doesn't seem to be available in the UK. Does anyone know where I could purchase and download, or is it only on VHS/DVD?

Also, I will be keeping a keen eye open for Fusion2 which sounds very promising indeed...!

Multiply, I ended up getting Torn from the US - IIRC Murphy's Magic Supplies. Its very similar to Yves' Ripped and Restored but Daniel's handling IMO is cleaner (and easier). Its a beautifull handling.

- Paulie.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2004-09-05 18:03, p.b.jones wrote:
HI,
I do not own this effect or wish to, However a personal observation is that to even the most stupid person in the world if the signiture is removed from the card they signed then they know it is a different card!

It kind of blows the effect for me.
Phillip

By that logic then if a card is torn and then put back together they 'know' it is a different card.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Unripped" at expertmagic.com (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL