The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Unripped" at expertmagic.com (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
I don't know about those guys, but when I do a torn and restored card, I like to let the spectator keep it, after all he/she did sign it.

Your better off buying Torn by Daniel Garcia, or Torched and Restored by Brent Braun.
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
If you want to learn a piece by piece restoration that will astonish, go for Hollingworth's original.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Sean W. Burke
View Profile
Loyal user
Washington D.C.
298 Posts

Profile of Sean W. Burke
Yves Doumergue's Ripped & Restored is also excellent and not as complicated as Guy's.

-Sean
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2004-07-23 15:28, marko wrote:
If you want to learn a piece by piece restoration that will astonish, go for Hollingworth's original.

Just to clarify incase you didn't know, Guy Hollingworth wasn't the first to have a peice by peice Torn and Restored card. I believe the first was Wesley James. Correct me if I'm wrong.
EricJames
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of EricJames
Hey Everyone,
Just wanted to say that almost everyone I've talked to that has actually TRIED Unripped LOVES it. It's takes time in the beginning to set-up but it well worth it when you can just concentrate on the performance value during the trick. I have some problems with what Neo was saying in his post:

First is "Four thin and separate pieces are shown." Yes, that's true somewhat. It makes it seem you really are using 4 thin pieces during the restorations, but you are not. I thought maybe this was a revolutionary concept, but its just a little misleading.

Please read your statement again all we state is that "Four thin and separate pieces are shown." We cannot be responsible for you misleading yourself.

Second, "Each piece is shown before each restoration, there are no "bluff" restorations." Pretty much the WHOLE routine is a bluff! The card is NOT EXAMINABLE. The instructor actually tells you to hand the card out, when its barley examinable. He says they wont notice, but give me a break, you just tore and restored a card, they will be examining EVERY piece of the card. And its not like a little bit is not examinable, pretty much 50% of it. In the video he hands it out to someone, and to me I thought "Wow, examinable right then? Cool!" When it really is not.

Please go back and watch the video again. This routine is a complete routine, if you stop half way then it does not function the same way. The card CAN be handed out once it's fully restored, we teach you how on the video. I watched Gared hand the card out numerous times with no problems. I personally believe in making magic as strong as possible. I can Guarantee that Neo has not tried this in a performance situation or his review would be much different. Why did you buy this effect anyways? Because you were fooled, or because you wanted a strong piece of magic to perform? Our demo and descriptions are based upon what the spectator WILL see while watching the trick. Imagine if Neo bought an ambitious card routine and never ever tired it. He would say he was disappointed that the card never really went to the middle of the pack and that the spectator would look at the card no matter what. I challenge you Neo to learn and perform this effect so you can move on from your attitude of negativity. I have several Review copies out right now so don't take it from me, please read the full reviews and make your decision based upon those.

I personally believe this is the strongest, most visual piece of magic that we have ever released so if I sound a little heated that's why. No hard feelings Neo I am just very surprised how quick you are to judge something you have not tried.

Thanks,
Eric James
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
"Please read your statement again all we state is that "Four thin and separate pieces are shown." We cannot be responsible for you misleading yourself. "

Really? It seems you should read your ad again. You do not use 4 thin peices when restoring. Please tell us when you can only show 4 thin peices. A more appropriate ad would be "You can cleanly show 4 peices. No False Counts"."

"The card CAN be handed out once it's fully restored, we teach you how on the video. I watched Gared hand the card out numerous times with no problems."

Oh, you do? Do you teach us to hand out something non examinable and hope the spectator doesn't find it? Heck, I might as well hand out my invisible deck for examination!

"I personally believe in making magic as strong as possible."

Then you should know, when dealing with something such as a T&R, examinability is a big issue. Like I said, when I have a spectator sign something, I like for them to keep it as a souvenir. I believe that is strong magic.

"Imagine if Neo bought an ambitious card routine and never ever tired it. He would say he was disappointed that the card never really went to the middle of the pack and that the spectator would look at the card no matter what."

Wrong. Your saying I'm dissapointed because I really didn't rip the signed card, just like we don't put in the middle. That's not the case. The case here is, parts of the ad and video are misleading, and you should change it.

You can bet this is the last thing ill be buying from you guys.
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
James Watkins
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of James Watkins
With the peeling of the signature, it sounds like Sean Fields' Fusion to me. I really like this one, so I think I will stick with it.

Later,
James Watkins
levitate
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of levitate
I dunno about this one. Looks impressive, but I can tell its gonna take some set up. How are the angles?

Michael
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
Peeling off the signature was invented by Dave Williamson, correct me if I'm wrong. He did a torn and restored card effect at one his lectures. Not only did he peel off the signature, he also wrinkled out the creases.

I cant give much comment on this effect because I don't have it. One thing they could change though, is the demo. I did not see much of the effect. I hope they will shoot a new demo, but I doubt they will. All I saw was the spectators reactions.

If anyone else has this effect, please post a review.
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
The angles are just like any other t&r.
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
I know, and thank you for that. I would also like to hear other peoples opinion. Im not trying to be rude.
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
Hey Tor, I misread your post that's why I edited it. Hehe. Sorry 'bout that.
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
Zach Allen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Zach Allen
Neogoblin,

Aside from your dislike of the deceptive ad and the setup - does the effect appear to be clean? That is, if you were to perform the effect for a spectator and not pause at any point until the conclusion of the effect, would it still be a strong effect?

I don't care about methodology here or false advertising, just the effect.

Thanks in advance,

Zach
Check out all 6 of my e-books!
The Magic of Zach Allen

Also, here is a free PDF of ideas:
Starlit Circles
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
It is clean, but so are the rest, the ones by Yves Domergue and Torn by Daniel Garcia, and Torched and Restored. The ripping in this particular effect is a lot better than the rest, but of course its costs you the examination of the card afterwards. Its not a bad effect, I just wont use it.
And to also make it clear, I didn't buy this because I was fooled by the demo. I barely even saw the effect on the demo. I bought it because I was hoping this was a better solution to the plot.
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Although this version does look pretty decent I still prefer Guy Hollingsworth T&R....now that looks *** good but takes a bit of practice.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
eebie376
View Profile
Elite user
415 Posts

Profile of eebie376
Purchased. Downloading. I will post a review once I have performed it a few times Smile

Ian
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
Looking forward to hear your opinion.
James Watkins
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of James Watkins
Quote:
On 2004-07-23 18:31, Tor Egil wrote:
Peeling off the signature was invented by Dave Williamson, correct me if I'm wrong. He did a torn and restored card effect at one his lectures. Not only did he peel off the signature, he also wrinkled out the creases.

Hey tor, you are correct on that. The peeling signature IS Williamson's idea, and a great one it is. Smile It is also used in Sean's Fusion, which I think I will stick with because of its simplicity.

Later,
James Watkins
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Would definitely like to hear your review eebie376.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Wesley James
View Profile
V.I.P.
Hazlet, New Jersey
372 Posts

Profile of Wesley James
Quote:
Just to clarify incase you didn't know, Guy Hollingworth wasn't the first to have a peice by peice Torn and Restored card. I believe the first was Wesley James. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are mistaken, Guy Hollingworth preceded me by almost a year, but I believe David Regal, in Star Quality, preceded him methodologically. Moreover, a number of earlier versions, including one by Kirk Kirkham and another by Karrel Fox were precursor to this line of development. Finally, elsewhere in this thread someone suggests that David Williamson was the first to peel off the signature and remove the creases from a card at the conclusion of a T&R sequence. While Williamson was, to the best of my knowledge, the first to peel off a signature, I was the first to do so at the end of a T&R routine and the first to remove the creases, in a routine I released a number of years ago, titled "Pristine." All that said, the history of the T&R plot is a long one with many contributors. I have no desire to recieve credit for elements that were not my contributions.

Wesley James
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Unripped" at expertmagic.com (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL