The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Does David Roth perform fulltime? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1311 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Hi.

I've always wonder if David Roth is a fulltime professional magician. I know, hes capable of doing so, but his repartoire (sp) seems a bit limited. He only do coins, and most is sitting down material. I mean what could he perform if he was hired as a walk around magician?

Can anyone fill me in?

Thanks,
Daniel
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2004-07-26 14:27, Magic-Daniel wrote:
He only do coins . . . .

David Roth does magic with more than just coins. I've been to a lecture of his in which he was demonstrating (and teaching) magic with other objects.

If you read Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table the author refers to his Hitchcock Aces as the favorite card routine of "coin man David Roth".
KidMagic87
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of KidMagic87
I heard his card stuff is unbelievable from a friend who saw him live (I forget where though)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
David does perform using materials other than coins.

I see no point in discussing his professional repertoire, and suggest you contact the man to properly start this discussion.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
David is an outstanding cardman!

Mike
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3027 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Yes David is a full time pro.

By the way, you can do a lot of David's coin material standing. Just get creative - use your spectators hands as impromtu tables if need be.
Click to visit:
Chris S
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of Chris S
The reason you only think he does coins is because it takes an extraordinary lecture audience to see past their assumptions of the great man (that he only does coins) and allow him to lecture on a wide variety of props. His skill and creative thinking span almost all the genres of close-up, but its not what people demand to see when they see a David Roth lecture (their loss).
May your moral compass guide you true - South West is where the honourable man fare. Pity those who lose their way...
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Have you ever seen his 3 ball routine? The double steal is amazing. Even when he was explaining it...it still looked incredible!
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4914 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I saw David Roth on a David Letterman show and he was incredible. I think there is a video on the internet with David on Letterman show.
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Does dave do a lot of sleeving and topiting ???
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I saw David Roth on Letterman, doing a coin matrix. David Letterman was extremely rude, grabbing coins and generally making a pest of himself. David Roth talked about it at a lecture I attended. He said that he was extremely happy that he decided to eschew a shell, and that he likely will never appear on Letterman's show again: his choice.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Anyone have a link to that clip? Please post the URL.

Yes, Letterman was a bit gruff.

The faxing line was good.

The double ball steal is a Marlo thing, right?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13387 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I have that clip somewhere.

Yes, letterman was rude but probably only from the standpoint of a magician. The audience probably didn't think so and certainly Letterman would do the same thing again.

Damn spectators.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
589 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
I have the clip, can I send it to you?
Letterman was actually very polite.
His reputation alone is sufficient to creep out any magician, however.
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3027 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Click to visit:
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2683 Posts

Profile of Tom G
David is really well rounded, I've attended a number of small workshops and taken private lessons. Among some of the things he performs is Chop Cup (funny story he has,too), Cups and Balls, color changing knives, fast and loose chain, and cards. At one workshop he killed everyone with a card trick that Slydini showed him.
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2004-07-28 12:51, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
The double ball steal is a Marlo thing, right?

The original move is Oscar Pladek's "Pop-up Move" (Pallbearer's Revue, April 1973, "A Modem Chinese Marvel," page 611).

Ed Marlo worked with that and came up with "Double Rollout," a variation on the move, using two balls (Linking Ring, Vol. 37, issue #4, "Silver Spheres," page 82).

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
Someone told me once that the double pop-up idea with balls came from Charlie Miller.
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Not that I'm aware of.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
Of course not...you weren't there when he told me that. Smile

He was probably full of it. I'd ask Charlie, but I can't afford the long distance charges...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Does David Roth perform fulltime? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL