The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Vanish from "Spectator Space" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
589 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Hi folks,

I'm trying to develop a routine that would be enhanced considerably if it was possible to create the illusion that a coin that is under the control of a volunteer (likely a child) disappears.

Besides a "rattle box", are there other options?

thanks, Doug
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Retention vanish and a switch Smile
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
589 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
A switch is a fall-back option, but it would be far stronger if the coin disappeared.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Under a handkerchief?
in a glass of water?
switched for a button?

classic options
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I have a routine called "Premonition V" coming out in my second manuscript that involves both coins and cards, and creates the illusion that the spectator is not only magically able to find the selected card themselves, several times under "impossible" conditions, but also that the coins transpose, vanish, and reappear at their command as well.

It's more of a perception thing than it is a "let the spectator handle all the props" thing. Not to say that the spectators are not able to touch the cards and coins, they are, and are encouraged to do so. But the right words and actions can lead people to believe that they are more in control of things than they actually are.

The manuscript will be out next month if you're interested.

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
Okito/ Boston Box?
Use a see through half dolar and have it "half" dissapear. It would be great if you could get the see through coins cheaply and give them away as souvenirs.

Look forward to seeing that routine Mike and the rest of Tavern 2.

Chris
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Okito would work too Smile
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Uh...put more than one coin in the spectator's hand? One disappears, you know the rest.

But consider this instead: a coin application of Devant's "The Ghost" vanish. A halfdollar is placed into the spectator's hand along with a few copper coins. The silver half vaishes, leaving only the coppers.

I have been told by reliable sources that, at least when trying this on stage, the minimum number is 6.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
There was a great vanish from a handkerchief for use with the Lippincott Box...

John has already mentioned a glass disc - One Armed McDonald had a good routine with it...

There are some interesting handlings with the venerable Coin Fold - Marlo had quite a bit on it in "Coining Magic"...

There was a very cool container for a coin that was Japanese, I think, and can be bought in any novelty shop. Two flat squares of plastic and a thicker colored square with a hole in it for the coin. The three are assembled like a sandwich and rubberbanded together. Placed under a handkerchief, and still the coin vanishes...

If you don't mind making the coin "vanish" while letting everyone in on it except the "victim", you might consider the old trick of placing the coin on the spectator's forehead. If you can work the joke into the magic this could be great. Don Alan had some great lines for this when he did "Knicklehead"...

I'll think of more, I'm sure. Hope these help...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
589 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Thanks Folks,

I think I'll try the "2 as 3" approach that Curtis mentions...

The whole business is a for a "different take on the Miser's Dream".

I first make three coins appear a la Rune Klan, then I do the Kam/Vernon "Silk and Silver" (where three [child] spectators throw invisible coins at a folded handkerchief -- what an awesome routine that is!) [when done, I place the handkerchief down on the edge of the bucket].

I "notice" that one of the spectators "needs some practice" with throwing his coin. I attach a big sticker to one of the coins, and have him sign it with his initials. I now place the marked coin between the other two and place the stack of three [really two, using that wonderful "sandwich" card switch with the coins to palm off the marked one] into the spectator's hand.

[Now, needing the bucket, I remove the handkerchief and place it in my pocket, ditching the palmed coin, and retrieving a stack of coins] I take the bucket, and have the spectator throw the coins into the bucket, and (hopefully) catch only two. I take them out, showing the number, and tease the volunteer about keeping the signed one. This gives me a premise to "find" a number of coins on the spectator. Of course, none of them are the "signed" coin, so I keep going back for more.

Finally, a coin lands with a "thud" rather than a "klang", and I retrieve a big chocolate coin with a sticker on it saying "your initials". This is given to the volunteer, who returns to his seat to hearty applause.

:)
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
A switch, and a "flipper" coin might allow a visible vanish here...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Doug,

That reads quite well. The interaction is the key, and the "2 as 3" approach does fit the moment well, since you've just done the S&S routine with the three.

I'm not sure what you're planning on the toss and "hopefully" catch of the two coins. I'd suggest having the child mime taking the marked coin out of his closed fist ("It's the one in the middle") and tossing it to you. You then have a nice reaction when he opens his hand to find only two unmarked coins in his hand. For clarity, have him drop those two singly into the bucket.

From there, press onward as planned.

Maybe it's just the magician in me, but I have the strong urge to do something with the marked coin. I admit the kids will probably be happier with the chocolate coin, but still. All that said, trust your instincts on this sort of thing.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
589 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Quote:
On 2004-07-30 06:07, Curtis Kam wrote:
Maybe it's just the magician in me, but I have the strong urge to do something with the marked coin.
I'm with you there, but wanted to save the reveal of the marked coin for much later in the program.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I think that, for adults anyway, the signed coin rejoining the effect would have a greater importance than it would for children. The chocolate coin may pack a larger punch for little people, especially those little people with a sweet tooth Smile

The parents will appreciate the cleverness of the switch instead of the reappearance of the coin.

Best,

Mike

Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
If you did the old gag of whoops I smudged the writing can you put your initials down again on another sticker you may have the opportunity with enough time delay during the routine to bring out the chocolate coin with the initials on it? Would that work in the real world?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The glass with stuff over the mouth that you put over a coin on the table... umm like in the OLD books?

the matchbox/Penney thing where you make a triangle on their hand and cover with a card and a matchbox perhaps?

The thing sewn into the corner of a hank?

* it's okay folks, I was very young when reading Dunninger's book Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
RE: "If you did the old gag of whoops I smudged the writing can you put your initials down again on another sticker you may have the opportunity with enough time delay during the routine to bring out the chocolate coin with the initials on it? Would that work in the real world?"

I like Sankey's take on that oldy but goody. He "demonstrates" how the marker can be wiped off with a piece of tissue paper, unless you blow on it to "dry it" first. I prefer intentional sucker moves over "whoops" moves.

Any way Chris, I think that it could very easily work in the real world, especially with kids, who are more used to doing what they're told ("write you initials again") without thinking or reading too much into it. Also, kids are used to smudging and messing things up, so that wouldn't be as big of a flag as it would be for a savvy adult.

Best,

Mike

Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
You know, when working with kids on stage, it's certainly natural for you to simply ask the child what his initials are, and you write them on the sticker. (allowing for double writing, later duplication, and other nefarity)

Of course, then you lose one of my favorite lines for older kids. I look at the initials and add, "Nice--hey, I recognize your work--you did my bus stop!"

I'm back to liking Doug's original plan. Have the kid verify that those are "your initials" on the sticker, and give him the chocolate coin with a wink.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Vanish from "Spectator Space" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL