The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Shrouding the ideas of Mental Magic with Mentalism » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DJP
View Profile
Veteran user
London
391 Posts

Profile of DJP
Dear All,

I've been reading posts of late regarding the Mental Magic vs Mentalism debates, and that one should solely perform one exclusively.

At the moment I perform effects from Luke Jermay's 7 Deceptions- The 7th Deception being my final effect (note: this is not table hopping or presented in a light manner rather than in an intimate setting with candles and a mystic tone). However I have also been performing Pyro Perception card revelation effect too (as my second effect) through mental contact and physical contact. I have received strong reactions from this but has occured to me that this is deemed "mental magic" and thus should not be performed within a set like this.

Another idea of mine is use 4" x 3" black and white photos of people in a character test- I don't have an effect yet but would this be deemed mental magic as I'm not exclusively reading the person's mind?

Where does the line stop for one and the other start?

Another side, I'm not insecure about my performance rather just wish to have thoughts on the matter.

Thanks in advance

Dave
David
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Personally I'd go with whatever suits you personality wise. because if you start doing something that just doesn't fit your 'style', than it's going to be extremely obvious to the spectators that your uncomfortable with it. So be yourself no matter what Smile
Eight Spades
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio (northwest)
482 Posts

Profile of Eight Spades
I do both mental magic and mentalism, but I find straight mentalism somewhat predictable and boring. It's great to hear someone else loves 7 Deceptions so much. What an excellent and underpriced collection of gems. I'm a big fan of "A Darker Dai" and the 7th Deception.

-Christian
"Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained." -S.H. Sharpe
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
This is continued at:

Mixing Magic and Mentalism
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Shrouding the ideas of Mental Magic with Mentalism » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL