The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Chinese coin uses (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Chinese coins have the advantage over other coins because of their hole in the middle. Are there any other uses for these coins besides a Charming Chinese Challenge? Obviously they can be used for regular coin work, but I would like a cool routing using the unuiqeness of the coins. I have a set of 5 coins plus a jumbo coin.
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
Linking on to a rubber band?

I also use a patter line for a one coin routine using old chinese magicians and a chinese coin as a theme. Basically how they used to enchant their coins so that they wouldn't be stolen and if they were they would always jump back to the magician etc etc.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Sounds interesting. Do you have the coin already attached to the rubberband or do you use sleight of hand to give the appearance of it? I think it would be cool to produce a jumbo coin on the rubberband.
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
I have to admit to not trying the rubber band thing but I would imagine the ring on rubber band routine would give you the same effect. In fact I have just this second tried it and it works fine. It's sleight of hand.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Using Chinese coin in place of an English penny in almost any standard C/S routine, IMHO, adds a degree of "What the ...?!?" to the effect, that is directly related to the center hole. It makes an improbable looking effect appear impossible. I frequently use a ChinaTown half (customized to use in the hand instead of against or above a white envelope), a regular Chinese coin, and a half-dollar to do various transposition and metamophosis effects. I had Todd L. make me the same thing in dollar size, using the Morgan dollar and Schneider dragon coin, and use it, or the half-dollar set, literally, every night that I work... for an effect that I created called China Changed.

The dollar set works well for groups, half-dollar set for one on one's at the bar.

To use an entire set of five... I would look at the potential for matrix or coins across routines, perhaps a Chinese Miser's routine. But if you want to use one or two, a matching e], the jumbo, and a Chinatown half that matches, you'd have unlimited potential for some very cool C/S stuff.

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
John bannon does a chinese coin off of a shoestring in the spectators hands, looks very very nice Smile
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
How many phases is the John Bannon trick and where is it published? Right now I'm trying to do the same, a charming chinese challenge but only with "one" coin so the spectator is a little more involved (when working with one spectator that is). And for the end the jumbo chinese coin is on the ribbon.
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1677 Posts

Profile of mystre71
John's "Revolutionary Penetration" can be found in his book "Impossibilia" also on his video. I believe it is just a way of getting the coin off a shoestring.

Also might want to look up Dan Garrett's "American Ninja Spellbound" his routine makes use of the unuiqeness of the hole in the Chinese coin. This routine I think was in one of his lecture note and on his video 'Close-up Connivery"

Best
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
How many phases is the John Bannon trick and where is it published? Right now I'm trying to do the same, a charming chinese challenge but only with "one" coin

Then you should try and get ahold of Harvey Rosenthal's "Melt Through"...it is a 5 phase routine with every phase getting progressively better. Be warned though, it is very technically demanding! But once mastered...you have a great effect to do!

Mike
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Sol Stone's work involving magically and visibly stringing a holed coin onto a chain or string is brilliant. I believe he called this "Strung" and "Strung, Too"? One version is in COINMAGIC.

Someone, (Jay Sankey?) published a completely visible assembly in which the hands are waved over the coins (about a foot away) and the coins are seen to move together into one corner. Guess how the structure of the Chinese coins comes into play.

I have a modest bit at the end of "Palms of Steel" vol. 1 in which a 5" jumbo Chinese Coin is produced. The revelation makes use of the hole in the coin.

Giovanni published an interesting routine in Genii or Magic in which half dollars are pulled through the hole in a jumbo Chinese Coin.

Doug Brewer has a devious bit that he hasn't tipped yet involving a specially distorted Chinese Coin.

Chuck Smith, in his lecture notes "What If..." describes a funny bit with, not the hole, but the characters on a Chinese coin. (you get to tell a spectator whereas you are a dragon, alas, she was born under the sign of the "Magpie". This kills me...)

And, an absolutley unprecedented use of the holes appears in Stephen Minch's "Spectacle": David Roth's "Limbo in China" in which three coins are slid onto a chopstick, and then made to repel each other as if magnetic. It's novel, and quite eerie.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
Fred Kaps had a Chinese coin/ring on string effect that was published originaly by Ken Brooke. I can't remember the exact name of it however. It is in the Book Anthony Brahms put out on the Brooke marketed items.
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
747 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
I second Randy's suggestion of using the coin (jumbo) with a string or ribbon. Another suggestion for a routine comes from India and is called the Yoga Coin. You could easily use your jumbo Chinese coin instead of the coin that is supplied or somehow switch between them to accentuate the storyline that is supplied. I like most of the moves used in the routine. A description of this routine and a link for it on Daytona Magic's website follows:
"The Yoga Coin is a different type of coin effect that uses a large Oriental style coin. The coin has a hole in the middle. The coin penetrates off and on a ribbon. The effect includes a three inch brass coin, ribbon, gold embroidered bag and a booklet of illustrated effects."

http://daytonamagic.net/customer/index.c......tId=6384
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Ben721
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of Ben721
Quote:
Someone, (Jay Sankey?) published a completely visible assembly in which the hands are waved over the coins (about a foot away) and the coins are seen to move together into one corner. Guess how the structure of the Chinese coins comes into play.

I love this. I have only recently started playing with it, and it looks downright spooky! You can even set the coins on the ground, walk back, and be about 5-6 feet from the coins and wave your hands and they assembly. It is very cool, and something that the owners of Sankey Pankey should try.
Check out my new effect "As Good As It Gets" a gimmickles pencil or pen through bill effect. It closely mimmicks the slow motion phase of "Misled." About "As Good AS It Gets" for no gimmicks and everything being borrowed.
http://www.magic-notes.com/th
MICKEY SILVER
View Profile
Elite user
Boston, Ma.
442 Posts

Profile of MICKEY SILVER
Hey , DAVID RANILLI ......How are you !

" SPEAKING OF CHINESE COINS "... DO YOU REMEMBER HOW I PUT THE CHINESE COIN ON THE RIBBON ? I believe you are the only one I ever showed it to ....LOL... .."LET US KNOW IF YOU REMEMBER "

Your friend ,

MICKEY
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1677 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Quote:
On 2004-07-30 21:59, Ben721 wrote:
Quote:

I love this. I have only recently started playing with it, and it looks downright spooky! You can even set the coins on the ground, walk back, and be about 5-6 feet from the coins and wave your hands and they assembly. It is very cool, and something that the owners of Sankey Pankey should try.

Curtis, Ben721, Shhhhhh try to keep this routine a secret..lol

I've also been playing with this routine and hoping most have forgotten all about it Smile
So everyone please ignore their post concerning the Sankey routine. Smile

Best
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2004-07-30 22:36, MICKEY SILVER wrote:
Hey , DAVID RANILLI ......How are you !

" SPEAKING OF CHINESE COINS "... DO YOU REMEMBER HOW I PUT THE CHINESE COIN ON THE RIBBON ? I believe you are the only one I ever showed it to ....LOL... .."LET US KNOW IF YOU REMEMBER "

Your friend ,

MICKEY

I've actually been experimenting with that move for the coin on ribbon routine I'm trying to make, I liked it a lot.
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Curtis,
I've seen Giovanni do the routine you referred to. It's very strange to watch as he pokes the half dollars through.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Chinese coin uses (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL