The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Most valuable resources for your style of magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
Aside from Bobos and Coin magic by Kaufman what coin magic resources do you feel you have learned the most from?

I don't know about the rest of you but I find it rare that I find moe than 1 routine per book/ video/ DVD that I put into my repetoir. Do you have books which just seem to Gel with your style and that you have learned a great deal from?

For me this has been Totally out of Control - Chris Kenner and Jay Sankey - Revolutionary Coin magic as far as learning the routines. And learning Trio from Unexplainable Acts - Gary Kurtz for learning new moves and ideas. Finally Magic by Gosh for starting the journey into learning misdirection and timing.

I think an honarary mention should go to Unexpected Visitor by Doug Brewer....I have only just bought this book and love the routines in it. I will be learning most of them.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Seeing Slydini, Kaps, Tommy Wonder and Armando perform has been the most inspiring lessons for my (coin)magic. Nothing explained, little said. Just the real thing.

Maybe after the technical journey and challenges we should be put in the perspective of a layman again...as much as possible!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2317 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Michael Rubinstein, Reed McClintock, Troy Hooser, Corey Burke and David Stone have been huge influences on my coin magic.

Revolutionary Coin Magic by Jay Sankey had a lot of crazy coin magic that made me feel like a laymen for the first time in a long time.

And I can not forget about Paul Harris. His coin magic is very unique. I always refer back to the coin goodies in AOA.

Brian
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
Dan, I would have to agree with seeing the real thing. I had Bobby Bernard fool me with a few bits of coin magic, great experience. What stuff from those three greats would you recommend from a learning point of view?

Brian I'd have to agree, those are great teachers, I have yet to see David Stones material...I'll have to put those tapes on the wish list.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Tommy Downs - "Art of Magic" and "Modern Coin Manipulation"

Al Schneider - "Al Schneider on Coins" and "The Theory of Magic"

Karl Fulves - "Best of Slydini and More"

Albert Goshman, et al - "Magic by Gosh"

There's enough reading and required comprehension there to last quite a little while Smile

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I found much to consider in The Ramsay Legend by Andrew Galloway.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
I thought I was doing quite well on colecting coin magic stuff until I posted this thread. It seems that with every new posting I can see my bank balance diminishing. Just bought Al Schneider on Coins from his web site so that just leaves:-
Tommy Downs - "Art of Magic"
Karl Fulves - "Best of Slydini and More"
The Ramsay Legend by Andrew Galloway

Any tips on where to get a copy of "The Ramsay Legend" I have been looking but with no joy.

Can everyone ignore this thread now....not sure if I can afford it if there are any more good postings Smile
(tongue firmly in cheek)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
* a few more for the students:

Expert Coin Magic by Kaufman
Modern Coin Manipulation[i] by Downs
[i]The Stars of Magic
published by Tannen's
Slydini Encores
Greater Magic Hilliard
...to all the coins I've dropped here
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
John Carney has some nice coin effects in Carneycopia and in his Book of Secrets. Not a full book on coins mind you, but the coin magic in his books are strong.

Derek Dingle has some great ideas with a CSB gimmick, and his silver quick routine is spectatular.

Coins and Cylinder is written up in John Ramsay's Ramsay classics,

For me though, influcence for coin magic would be:

Deceptions in Paradise-Curtis Kam
Coins on Edge- Kainoia Harbottle
Cultural Xchange 1,2 Apollo and Shoot Ogawa
David Stone- vol 1,2
Palms of Steel 1,2,3
Reed McClintock's knucklebusters series
Albert Goshman

The last one especially.
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
Okay theres another 6 to add to the list Smile

Do the following have quite a lot in he way of coin magic?
The Stars of Magic published by Tannen's
Slydini Encores
Greater Magic Hilliard
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
Hmm....the most valuable resources for *my* style of magic would have to be my travels, the people I have met, my business, my adventures...etc, but if you wish books, then I would say,

Hemingway, Rand, London, Stone, Steinback, Conrad, Salinger...well the list would take quite awhile to finish, but you get the idea.

You asked for the most valuable resources. Mechanics are the *LEAST* important part of magic, and most "magic" books, are full of mechanics.
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
Mithrandir, can you elaborate on your list, I can't say I am familiar with many of the names. What makes them special in your eyes?

As for the mechanics being the least important part of magic, surely that is like saying to a musician don't practice scales they aren't that important. Surely by making sure you have a strong foundation in mechanics you can then learn about the subtlties which make magic magical? At least that way you can concentrate on the performance with out having to worry about the handling? However I do agree that mechanics aren't the destination merely the way to the destination. Watching people like Sol Stone or Goshman I would say that they were both "great" at the mechanics side of things so much so that their performance seems so natural the magic just seems to happen? What are your thoughts?
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
... ok, I can see why Hemingway and Steinbeck apply here, but I'm missing the Salinger connection Smile

Just kidding... point well taken.

Best,

Mike

Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
Are we talking Ernest Hemmingway?
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Finding books that fit your style is a tough thing to do. Know what's even harder...taking the books you already have and molding the magic in them to become your style!

Mike
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
Hi Mike,

That is really profound!! Never really considered that before. When you apply this to a routine though do you find that the routine has to inspire you in the first place? Or can you see that there is the possibility of a good effect and then develop it from there?

Chris
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Chris - Yes, Ernest Hemingway. The point that mirthrandir was making is that there is inspiration, resource, and style in all great literature... And my reply was a weak ironic attempt at highlighting J.D. Salinger's "cynical adolescent" character's kooky little romp into youth, mistake, regret, and consequence as a strange example of inspiration.

Now Steinbeck's Lenny character is a .... oh wait, there really isn't a lot of inspiration there either Smile

I kid.... I'm a kidder!

Mike

twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Goshman, Wonder, and Ortiz's Strong Magic have helped everything I do in magic...even coins! David Roth's Expert Coin Magic. Carl Cloutier on topit/sleeve work. It's not so much about the routines themselves but how and why they're done, and how much entertainment is put into them.
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
Humbling experience this forum!! Not only am I missing some of the classics of magic, I am clearly lacking in the reading of classics period...perhaps more books to add to the list Smile

I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance. Socrates
(and I only know that quote 'cos I looked it up on the internet) Smile

Carl Cloutier on topit/sleeve work...does he cover much coin specific stuff?
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
With cloutier's material you learn to topit/sleeve just about anything Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Most valuable resources for your style of magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.54 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL