The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Serial number memory (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
There's a great pseudo-memory effect in Karl Fulves' "Self-Working Number Magic" called, "Dollar Bill Poker". Someone brings out a dollar bill and reads the serial number off for you to memorize. They then cross out any non-zero digit, and repeat every number except for that one digit. You can then tell them which digit is missing.

I like the idea, but the trick seems to short. I came up with a way to make the effect a bit more dazzling.

After your first routine, you ask 5-6 people to take out bills at random. One at a time, they each read the serial number of their bill, and are then told to keep their bills handy for later.

As a light moment near the end of the show, or possibly as a curtain call, you tell the 6 people to bring their bills out. You remind the audience that the serial numbers of these bills were read way back near the beginning of the show, and asks how many people can even remember one of those 8 digit numbers (obviously, very few). You then ask each of the people with bills to cross one non-zero digit off on their bills. Each person, one at a time, is then asked to read the remaining digits on the bill. You can give the missing numbers on each of the bills!

You use the same principle taugh in the original trick, but with a modification. The information you need is still used as in the original trick, but you have to quickly use standard legitimate memory techniques to associate the required information with each person's face. Once you get to the end of the show, assuming your associations were properly made, the rest should be easy.

Performed this way, the trick has many advanatages:

1) The time element and the increase in number of people used increases the scale of the effect.

2) It also seems less like a bluff trick. Legitimate memory techniques are employed, but you get credit for remembering more details than you really do.

3) It's a good, simple "rapid acquisition" type of memory trick (Thanks to M.A. for the term).

M.A. - that reminds me, this could be done with UPC codes, as well!

Hmmm...I'll be over here in the corner pondering other possibilities.
David de Leon
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
417 Posts

Profile of David de Leon
Thank you Scott! That was very nice! I’ll have to dig out Fulves when I get home.
Sniper
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Sniper
Excellent routine Scott! I've found audiences are really impressed by memory demonstrations - as long as they are presented quickly and humorously.

Sn!per
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Nice presentation...Very interesting idea....
Thanks for sharing....

take care

kuffs
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Serial number memory (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL