The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Roger Klause In Concert (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
I just received my copy of this OOP book today before I left for work and I must say I'm very, very impressed. I had no idea what to expect but Lance Pierce did an amazing job with this project.

Thank you Mr. Pierce!

If you happen to come across this book, then I would urge you to pick it up. I'm going to read this treasure right now.

I will always try and remember "my essence."
Drive Carefully
KYTerry
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of KYTerry
Roger Klause is one of the most approachable and friendly of the "old" guard and he is more than willing to help. Really nice guy.
atrudo
View Profile
Regular user
New Hampshire
190 Posts

Profile of atrudo
Thanks for the praise. I was thinking of buying it. I probably will now. Could you give a few words on the effects in it when you are done reading?
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
Yes, I sure will write up a brief review. I'm off of working for the next couple of days. This book is gold!

I love the format as it is unique. There is a good variety of magic coins, bills, cards. The book is much, much deeper than just the effects however. I'll try to touch on all of that very, very soon.
Drive Carefully
MagicofDesperado
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of MagicofDesperado
To resurrect this thread this is now available in ebook format from llepub.com on sale for the paltry sum of $9.95.

Picked it up myself.

Dave
Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
495 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
These L&L ebook specials are really something. The QPR is off the charts.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Agreed.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
But nowhere near as good as the real thing.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2012-11-16 15:53, Feral Chorus wrote:
These L&L ebook specials are really something. The QPR is off the charts.

I know that I'm going to kick myself for asking, but..what does QPR stand for? Thanks a lot for the info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
495 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
QPR stands for Quality to Price Ratio. It is an acronym that is used a lot in one of my fields of interest. I posted without even thinking of its use in broader circles.

The L&L ebooks are neither better nor worse than the "real thing." They have advantages and disadvantages versus physical books and it is a subjective choice whether one prefers one over the other. What I do know is that over the past few months $70 would get me access to almost 2,000 pages of great, if not classic material including:

Classic Magic of Larry Jennings (Mike Maxwell)
The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley Vol 1 (Stephen Minch)
Roger Klause In Concert (Lance Pierce)
Award Winning Magic of John Cornelius (Lance Pierce)
Simon Says! The Close-Up Magic of Simon Lovell (Simon Lovell)
Spectacle (Stephen Minch)
LINT Pocket Stuff for Close-Up Magicians (John Luka)

That is some QPR and thanks are due to L&L for making each available at the special price of $9.95...

and no, I have no affiliation with L&L (LOL)
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I strongly disagree. The real thing is much better.
Oh, and be careful with QPR, as to at least 70 000 000 people it means Queens Park Rangers.
Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
495 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
Magicfish,

For QPR's sake let's hope 'arry is a magician.

-Feral (Spurs fan)
CdnAndrew
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of CdnAndrew
I agree that real books have a special place on the bookshelf... but (especially for folks living in the heart of urban cities with minimal storage space!) they do take up a LOT of space. When I moved, all (I mean ALL! magic, other hobbies, etc) my books did not make the cut to be in my place of living; just couldn't justify the space. They're in storage, in a box, and I can get them if I really want to dig. Otherwise, I have the ebook versions of many of my books on my computer. I can pull them up on my big screen and KNOW that the pages won't 'magically' flip around on me while I'm following along. I can bring them on my tablet / ebook reader with me and have something to read through while I'm waiting for the bus, to meet with an aquiantance, etc.

I guess I'm just echoing the idea that both have pros and cons. I have lots of books... but their digital counterparts are starting to find a place in my life and I don't miss buying physical books nearly as much.

I picked up Roger Klause in Concert because I have heard so much about it and at $10 it was more than worth the investment.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2012-11-27 16:07, Feral Chorus wrote:
Magicfish,

For QPR's sake let's hope 'arry is a magician.

-Feral (Spurs fan)

True enough lol.
Philip Busk
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Philip Busk
This was an awesome book.
Philip Busk
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
It is an awesome book! And available in ebook form as well.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Glen Guldbeck
View Profile
New user
Leesburg, VA
81 Posts

Profile of Glen Guldbeck
His dye tube routine "Red & White" is a thing of beauty....
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Yes Glen--"Red & White" is a thing of beauty, and there is so much more in this wonderful book like Klause's production of four half dollars from an empty purse frame. Klause's technique is so deceptive that John Carney incorporated several aspects of Klause's method into his version of John Ramsay's "Cylinder and Coins" effect. There's more:

The correct way to position an empty purse frame in your left hand before the productions is taught in "Billusion".

A great multi-phase routine called "The Operator" that begins with the classic "Two Copper and One Silver" effect that segues into a two bill transposition between a one and five dollar bill in the spectator's hand. This is all wrapped in an entertaining presentation about a street gambler that continually swindles the magician.

At the end of the book, Klause describes his first meeting with Michael Skinner when Skinner worked behind the counter at Hollywood Magic in the late 1960s. Skinner had heard of Klause but did not know what he looked like. Klause took advantage of this to floor Skinner with a practical joke.

Hats off to Lance Pierce for his clear and wonderful descriptions of the effects and for the essays about Klause's thoughts and philosophies on performing magic. I hope that one day Pierce will release Reflections. This book was supposed to be the sequel to Roger Klause In Concert.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Need to pick up the e-book from L&L. Sounds great.

And agree that e-book is no better or worse than hard copy. The information is the information. The packaging has nothing to do with anything.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
I have a deluxe edition of this book for sale if anyone should be interested.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Roger Klause In Concert (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL