The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Street Magic tutorial fee... pls give a suggested rate... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
I perform my street magic routines mostly on parties and people love it. Some people of my age were asking where did I learn all that. I told them I could teach them for a fee. More like a session on magic.

How much do you think should I charge them?
things included in my tutorial are:
-10 tricks on cards & coins
-2 card flourishes
-1 coin flourish
-tips in misdirection
-presentation and showmanship tips

The session will be for one hour.

I'd like to ask for your suggested rates on how much should I charge them..

thanks... Smile
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
Hi Dynamite Assassin,
it's nice that you want to teach, but I don't think that so much material in an hour is something that a newcomer would remember (probably not most adults either). Current learning theory is that the most you could expect adults to remember in a session is about three effects. These effects would have to them be revised over a few days to take them from short term to long term memory.

Anyway, I teach for a living and if I were to teach someone magic, I'd teach them three simple effects in hour, get them to practice them over another hour, show them the theory of angles and presentation during that hour and then follow up with a session in three days where the last lesson was revised (to keep it current in memory) for half an hour, the new one learned for an hour etc. The students would also have to practice for homework and respect the secrecy, otherwise all I'm doing is exposing secrets. It's tedious and laborious, but I believe that this would be a 'solid' way of teaching magic.

Therefore, if you're going to teach, just teach them to do three things competently in that first lesson and know that you're going to take a while to get them to a decent level of expertise. It's also useful if your students understand that also.

Price-wise, I have no idea. That really depends on your expertise not just as a magician, but as a teacher.
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
I charge US$25/hr/person for group rates and US$100/hr for individual lessons.

Obviously I am a performer and will teach only if pushed, but these prices avoid those just looking for secrets.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
prospero
View Profile
Special user
Elsewhere
572 Posts

Profile of prospero
Dynamiteassassin:

DO NOT give lessons if all they want to do is learn a few tricks. Believe me, when they ask you "where you learn all that" or "how do you do that," all they want to do is learn the secrets. One lesson is not enough, especially not for those who are GENUINELY INTERESTED--those are the only ones you can teach.

A single lesson to those who simply ask is exposure.
EvanSparts
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan
333 Posts

Profile of EvanSparts
I agree with prospero. this might sound harsh but I think magic should only be taught by those with experience. Now I know there are exceptions to all the rules, but look at it this way who would you take more serious a new teacher or one who has taught for 25 years? Both are qualified but one has seen a lot more stuff and can give advice on experience. My only point being when teahing magic be very selective on who you teach, between those who will take it serious and those who just want the secrets.
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
Thanks for the advice Whiterrabbit. These people I'd tutor are not those "I want to learn the secret" type. They too perform on occasions like parties, gatherings and events. 3 effects per hour is nice. Smile
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Just charge the city, write to the commisioner and say that they owe you money. with the right technical glitches and pure luck, you could make yourself a pretty big score ! Smile
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
I think with the teaching it's also going to take someone at least six months to get 'reasonable' with a reportoire (if they work like a maniac)and they need to know that. This will take quite a few lessons.

On the subject on teaching students, select them carefully. For example, next year, I'll probably be returning to my teaching work at university and I may have to supervise some students for higher study.

I'll only accept the people who impress me with respect to the field and as human beings (of course, there may be pressure on me to do otherwise).

As a private teacher, you too have that luxury and it is one that can only elevate the art...
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I have to agree with Prospero. Especially if these are young people. What they want is the same as my Kung Fu students, practice a week and be Bruce Lee. Then again, there is the rare student that is real and doesn't mind putting in the time and effort. The problem is identifying that student.

What I would do is teach a few self working tricks, maybe four or five. Make sure they require no skill. Then, if they come back you have a chance of having a real apprentice.

So how much? I'd pick out a number that was too high for the idly curious.

Actually, I wouldn't teach magic. I see it as like Kung Fu. You teach then correct, correct, correct, correct, then teach then correct, correct...
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
In line with what prospero and rikbrooks are saying, teaching magic should require a unique approach.

And, this is not asked in a condescending manner, just a realistic one- what qualifies you to teach these people magic? Can you give them their money's worth? Again, not asked in a condescending way, but rather maybe a path for you to consider as you can explain to them why and how you are qualified to ask for an X amount of dollars per session/lesson/trick.

What will you teach them? Are they your own routines or someone else's marketed tricks or routines that you will teach? Would it be more appropriate to instead have them spend their money on resources that would benefit the creator of the effect(s)? Do you want them performing tricks of their own choosing or cookie cuttter tricks laid out for them?

As well, when entering into a teacher/student relationship, you must identify or know your own motives. Is it money, extending knowledge, making a name, or maybe all of these reasons or none of these reasons at all?

Finally, if these people perform on occasion, one would assume that they already have knowledge of methods and application. What can you provide them that they can not acquire independently, and should you even charge them at all?

Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

Just things to consider.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Here's the bottom line. If you are going to teach magic then you are going to have to go beyond self working. For cards you are going to have to teach double lifts and false shuffles. You are going to have to teach misdirection. Your student might not appreciate paying $100 to learn to do a credible double lift.

Learning magic takes time and practice and a lot of skills that don't translate to teaching well.

If I were you I'd advise them to pick up Mark Wilson's book.
Thinker
View Profile
New user
Brazil
32 Posts

Profile of Thinker
Man, a think you should only tach if they are really interested, and you should not give them one lesson, if you're going to teach magic, them teach magic, not only secrets, I can talk about the price, because I live in another country, but I think it can be too expensive so they can take many classes and really master the secrets of magic, but it can't be too cheap, so they will vallue what they're learning.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Street Magic tutorial fee... pls give a suggested rate... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL