The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » self levitation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cardician
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Cardician
I am looking for a good self levitation to purchase. I think Balducci is good ,but I've heard the angles on ground zero are better. Right now I'm looking for one that allows a completely surrounded audience. Could you point me in the right direction? All help is greatly appreciated.
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
502 Posts

Profile of Corey K
Zero Gravity is probably the only one that's going to allow you to perform it surrounded, unless you want to spend $600 on an In-Flight, which will allow for surrounded levitation. But remember, ZG can only be performed in certain conditions.

-Corey
Corey King
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
295 Posts

Profile of davekilpatrick
King Rising is another self-levitation that takes the Balducci to new heights (pun intended). It too has angle problems, but if the angles are right, it is like the Balducci on steroids. Zero Gravity I've had for 2 years and have yet to construct the special "props." Like Corey said, you need the right conditions. I'm interested in In-Flight for my kid shows, but I never shell out $500 impulsively. I'll get it eventually.

Take some time to search this site because there are many self levitations discussed. No need for a new thread to answer your question.

By the way, Cardician, the guy who answered your post is the developer of the King's Rising.

Dave
Lesault
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Lesault
Anyone know where I can see a demo of In-Flight? I'm intrigued to see how good it looks.

Lesault.
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
502 Posts

Profile of Corey K
Hocus-Pocus.com or einhorn.co.uk

They both have online demoes of In-Flight.

-Corey
Corey King
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
295 Posts

Corey,

You've become the unofficial magiccafe consultant for self levitation illusions! Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.

Dave

P.S. Corey, I think if you put a www. in front of the addresses you cite, this website automatically turns them into hot links so that all you have to do is click on them to go to the site.
Here are the sites you mentioned. I copied what you wrote and pasted them here, and put the three w's in front of them:
http://www.hocus-pocus.com or http://www.einhorn.co.uk

Note the change in color. Click on them and away you go!
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Guys, I gotta tell ya. Self-levetations are not only angly, but they are also CONDITIONAL. You can't "just do them". The spectator's cannot know what is going to happen before hand. Lighting is a factor as well. a darker atmosphere is better than a brightly light one.

I have "seen 'em all" (or close to it anyway), and the best one, IMHO, is still the Balducci. A common mistake that guys make when performing this effect is that they try to go as high as they can. Only go about one or one and a half inches off the ground. Height is a non-issue. I mean, ask any one else to lift themselves off the ground even a half inch. Besides the spectators memory will embellish the effect, and a week later they will swear that you were a foot off the ground, and that they saw both feet in the air, etc.
Smile
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
502 Posts

Profile of Corey K
dpe66,

That posts looks awfully familiar lol.

Dave,

No problem! Glad someone appreciates the information Smile

-Corey
Corey King
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
A quick comment on In-Flight the video shows itpretty clearly. But it is nothing compared to a complete live performance.

I saw it in June at the FCM International, and Toby Travis did it twice. He did it once without announcement to show me. The the plan was that I would go gather a crowd and he would do it again.

But by the time he finished the first performance of it. The crowd had grown to overflowing the common area where he ws performing on a stage. And after teh first taste, they begged to see it again.

It played incredibly well. You can do it totally surrounded, and there are no bad angles.

After I got back, I looked at the Hank Lee video, and said "no...it was much better than that!" And I think it was. He appeared to go much higher than he actually went. But that is the what almost everyone said. I asked a few others how high he went afterwards, and the most common answer was "2-3 feet" (Rembember that is the audience reaction it. Not necessary the reality.)

All in all, I cant see other "transportable" or balducci variation type of levitation playing that big.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
502 Posts

Profile of Corey K
As much as people pan In-Flight, I think it has great potential. Only problem I see is coming up with logical patter than won't bore the audience.

-Corey
Corey King
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2002-08-08 23:32, Corey K wrote:
dpe66,

That posts looks awfully familiar lol.

Dave,

No problem! Glad someone appreciates the information Smile

-Corey

LOL. This whole thread looks awfully familiar! How many threads are we going to have on self-levitations?!
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
295 Posts

Link
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Link
Is there any self-levitation were they can look under your feet? Smile
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1357 Posts

Profile of bekralik
>Is there any self-levitation were they can
>look under your feet? Smile

Yes, but then the spectators can't be looking at your hands ...

... or notice the jungle gym above your head ...
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Is In-Flight examinable?
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Quote:
On 2002-09-08 01:58, bekralik wrote:

That is, unless you're willing to deal with 100,000 individual strands of Kevlar thread.

Quinn
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
Couldn't that risk glimpsing the thread?

Jakks
rmbrannon
View Profile
New user
Georgia
32 Posts

Profile of rmbrannon
Where can you purchase in-flight?
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Quote:
On 2002-09-08 07:12, Quinn wrote:
Quote:
On 2002-09-08 01:58, bekralik wrote:

That is, unless you're willing to deal with 100,000 individual strands of Kevlar thread.

Quinn

Magicbuilder came up with a way to do the levitation while people are even looking under your feet, if I am not mistaken.

As for In Flight; It may be good, but why would a "magician" carry with him a curtain and a box to levitate. Besides there are other versions out which avoid such things. I would prefer to sacrifice some angles and have no covers. That is the closest one can get to real magic.

And, also, many people have seen David Blaine do the balducci, nowadays. It would put you down if they see you using a curtain and a box to levitate, when Blaine just did it. We magicians have to move with the flow. The era of covers to levitate is over, no matter how good the methods may be. Magic is like with computers... Today you have the best machine on the market, tomorrow you have a piece of scrap.

Well those are my thoughts. Smile Going to sleep now, as it's already midnight here in Malta.

Ivan ZZZZZZzzzzzzz........
Yours,

Ivan
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
I'm waiting on RETRO-GRAVITY to be released.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » self levitation (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL