The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Another question about back palming (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
Do you think backpalming really looks amazing to an audience (I've only tried it on kids so far) A magician friend of mine starts out his closeup act by just tossing a card up and catching it a few times (like a boomerang) and then back palms it, and reproduces it a couple of times.) I liked it, but I'm a magician (the first time I saw his show though, I did not know the back palm) How do you think it looks to regular people? Do a lot of you use it in your acts? Thanks for any advice.
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Card manipulation is typical stage magic. Try to watch master manipulators like Lance Burton, Jeff McBride, Channing Pollock, Salvano or Cardini. Then you get an idea how first class card manipulation is supposed to look like. There is A LOT of work involved in such acts, more than most are willing to do.
Joe S.
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
233 Posts

Profile of Joe S.
Great Palming looks amazing no matter who your audience is. Poor palming (due to lack of practice) impresses nobody.

The question is... are you willing to put in the work (in hand coordination, scripting, timing, etc.) in order to pull it off?

As for me, the answer is... nope.
Joe Skilton
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
To kids it looks great, but if your trying to perform on the street, than it doesn't really work Smile
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
I don't agree.Check out jeff sheridan.

He is a street magician.

I think you mean close-up magic.Thats the thing, most are calling close-up magic on the street ,street magic.

Yes its magic on the street.But Real street magic is or used to be about earning money and drawing a crowd.

jeff sheridan is a real street magician.And he does back palm productions.

Walking up to someone and doing a trick is close up magic.
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I can't say that the backpalm stuff EVER impressed me as magical. I do recall being surprised at how many cards/coins could be put back there, and being surprised when I got the idea about split fans.

To be blunt, I recall that stuff as clever, and not ever magical.

I suspect the work does impress folks, and I doubt it registers as MAGICAL.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
I remember when I first bought the jeff McBride videos. I had been doing back palming a while but never seen anyone else do it.

There is a clip of McBride on a stage with the cards in a perfect production palm with the back of the hand toward the audiance. He does a pivot beautifully and shows empty hand then produces a fan.

That moment and his pose was very dramatic. It enhanced his magic. The presentation.

When I saw that I thought it was the most amazing and magical thing I had ever seen. And this is coming from someone who was doing backplaming and knew the method.

But I have also see manipulators producing cards and it doesn't seem magical.

kukram
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
Thanks for all the help everyone. Jonathon, what is a "split fan"?
Dark
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Dark
Split fan is a technique to produce and discard multiple large fans of cards. When done correctly it looks like you've produce a whole deck (or more) of cards out of thin air.

I do a small amount of back palm stuff as a quick production of selected card or vanish. It can get quite a bit of reaction when done sparingly.

That being said, I think card manipulation can be quite angly and it requires a lot of work. You have to develop your muscle strength, speed, and coordination.

If you want to learn more, check out Jeff McBrides Card Manipulation Series. After practicing the pivot and split fan the first few days, my hand were so sore that I couldn't close them. lol Smile
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
I use the back palm quite frequently to remove a card from sight. I mostly have a BP on my right hand with the deck in the palm to cover the corner flashes.
Or If I want to produce a card from silk as the production I use BP with the silk as cover.
I also tend to get into back palm with my arms in a standard standing deal/shuffle position. ie. hands just above waist level, slighly out from body.
I hardly ever back palm with my arms out like a stage peformer.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
Does Jeff McBride teach the split fan in his videos? Thanks again.
Dann
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
There is a section on split fan producitons on Volume 2 of McBride's series.
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
Thanks. I'll look into those tapes
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Marlo wrote a book on card manipulation. It addressed a lot of the problems that are associated with back palming.

Sometimes card manipulation looks more like an athletic event than magic.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Remember the saying; "You never get a second chance to make a first impression."?
Think back... were you impressed the first time you watched a magician pluck cards from the air? I was.
They're called effects for a reason.

Kregg
POOF!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Another question about back palming (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL