We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Completely Cold" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ace216
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of ace216
Does anyone have this trick? The majority of my effects are mentalism, and from the description I read of this trick, this trick sounds perfect.

Can anyone recommend or comment on this trick?

Thanks.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Umm...if you are talking about Knepper's Completely Cold manuscript, it's not a trick, it's a system. It's how to structure your reading dialogue to increase perceived hits, and how to follow the dialogue trail to get at stuff to reveal.

I think it is well worth every nickel IF you do readings, and don't know the system. You can study Sylvia Brown and see her slopping all over with these techniques.

If you DON'T do readings, you will find it intellectually stimulating, lightweight and overpriced.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Bambaladam
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Bambaladam
In fact, it is not very popular among readers either. The people who seem to have found most value in it are speed seduction trainers.

It is not entirely without merit, and it is worth a read, but there isn't enough useful stuff in it to warrant paying that much for it.

/Bamba
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
I've heard that it's overpriced BS, which is usually expected from Kenton. Smile Try to search for some cold reading material over at Hocus-Pocus.com Smile
Bambaladam
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Bambaladam
OR actually learn to give real readings instead of buying into the "cold reading" thing. It's easier, more efficient, and above all more honest.

Oh, and your books will be SO much cheaper,

/Bamba
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2586 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I'm not sure how you can say the majority of your effects are mentalism, and then refer to everything else as a 'trick'

Completely Cold is a way of appearing to know things about someone as if you were a 'psychic reader', etc., but by using a simple method. It can be fairly convincing, but like most people, if you really want to convince people that you 'know' about them, read some of the good stuff

To do that, do a search on the Café.

Completely Cold is not a trick. It's a method for appearing to be a real 'reader', albeit a shallow one. This kind of thing is interesting and can be used with certain other effects - but used on it's own and out of context I'm not sure from what you said it's something you want to bother with.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3380 Posts

Profile of Looch
The guy's a weak alias. Delete this thread.
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
xtreme_mixers
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of xtreme_mixers
Bambaladam, define real readings for me?
Matthew 7:5
You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Quote:
On 2004-08-02 11:31, xtreme_mixers wrote:
Bambaladam define real readings for me??

"Real Readings" are far different from "Cold Readings", as they are recognized by the magic world. Plain and simple, find one primary divination system like Palmistry, Numerology or Tarot and LEARN IT! Ignore all the horse pucky the magic world has filled your head with and actually learn how to use the esoteric sciences associated with a given mode of divination.

Trust me, you will be surprised in relatively short time just how hard your hit and how accurate your readings will be, IF you learn the system and everything around it.

Most readers ultimately become familiar with several systems that they can use in tandem, sometimes in ways not obvious to the sitter. For an example, many "Psychics" do little more than basic Numerology on someone's name and possibly toss in some rudimentary Astrology. This is a typical "show off" technique when it comes to the novice.

The Pro, however, will not voice the obvious but rather, weave in information of this kind, as part of the spiel. They may do some Palm Reading and at the same time, pay attention to involuntary muscular reaction as they talk to the client (Muscle Reading). The list can get rather extensive, but I can assure you, only a very minor (less than 10%) amount of what the Real world Reader does, comes anywhere close to what magician's claim they do, use, etc.

Ignorance is only bliss for those that haven't the guts to do actual footwork and get their hands a bit dirty when it comes to specific issues of debate. It's that simple.

I've been involved with magic for over 35 years, 25 of those years I have worked as a Reader (my "Day Job"), so I think I know just a little of what I'm talking about.

Best of luck!
Bambaladam
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Bambaladam
I'm with Osiris on this one, perhaps also extending my definition to include "true" clairvoyance and psychometry, etc. For instance, if practiced and learned as suggested by McGill and Butler.

/Bamba
psychic
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of psychic
Now really I must salute Kenton on this. It is a system where you do not need to have any knowledge (be it stock reading cards, numerology, etc.) but yets allow you do deliver a reading.

Let me repeat: DO NOT. It is based pretty much on this Wonder Words works. This booklet will teach you some words to use to convince people that you have just given them a psychic reading - you know what's troubling them.

As I said earlier (and you could have implied) don't expect to learn any stock reading lines from here. The system will prove useful if you combine with what you already know and perhaps amplify the accuracy of your reading by the use of words.

How practical it is its best you judge it by yourself.
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I happen to like this, though I use it mixed with other techniques I've learned.

Anabelle
RenzIII
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of RenzIII
Annabelle,

You need to put up a site of your own. Your Avatar's are all nice to look at.

Why not a Mentalist/Photo web site to promote yourself.

You have it going on, girl.
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
Hello.
I recall when I first purchased "Completely Cold".
It filled a huge gap for me, as I was just beginning to transition from sleight-o-hand trickster, to mentalist.
All I needed was something to allow me to give a quick and modest reading, during the performance of an actual effect.
Well, Completely Cold worked perfectly for this, and I think that this is what most are forgetting.
It is NOT designed to make you a "reader", but rather, to give some BRIEF readings within the framework of something bigger.
I must also add that, when I finally got around to learning how to do a full "read", it was much easier, having built a little confidence and experience using Knepper's little system.
I hope this will help you. I felt like it was money well spent, and a perfect segue into deeper aspects of this art.
PS: I second Renzo. I don't know about putting up a site, sounds a bit crude, but I have have been a secret admirer of Annabelle for a while too. Definitely not hard to look at, and a woman that has been cursed with the same love for this art as I myself, is terribly fascinating! LOL
Cheers,
J.Warrens
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1843 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Quote:
On 2004-08-04 06:13, J.Warrens wrote:
It is NOT designed to make you a "reader", but rather, to give some BRIEF readings within the framework of something bigger.
J.Warrens

Whilst I fully agree with you it has to be pointed out that this is NOT how Completely Cold was marketed. I have no idea how it is marketed these days but when it was first released it was very much marketed as all you'd ever need to do readings, which I think was slightly naughty and largely what has contributed to the controversy over the product.

Regards,

David.
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
Hi, David!
Nice to see you again.
You are absolutely correct about the type for the marketing.
I was just making sure that I was giving an absolutely honest answer to the gentleman who made the original inquiry.
I believe I have been thoroughly honest.
Notice the usage of "ly" words- - LOL!
Cheers,
J.Warrens
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1843 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Hi J.W,

Yes, and you know your honesty will lead to better solutions for us all!

Regards,

David.
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
LOL.
Thanks, David. LOL
Cheers,
J.Warrens
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
I learned cold reading the more triditional way, like some of the guys have said,I know the real tarot systim, palmestry and astrology, when I turned to mentalis I bought some cold reading books out of interest, Ian Rowlands knocked me flat, every thing he said I was already doing even the statements I gave were with in his frame work and I was sure I had come up with those myself, like asking people if they had been to other readers. I have ordered Kentons work, to add to my archive of knowledge, I'm a *** good cold reader and I want to be the best there is.
I'm sure Kentons work can only add to my skill.
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
RenzIII
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of RenzIII
J.Warrens,

I didn't mean anything vulgar. Just a site to
get a better look at what Annabelle does.

If you're going to be a pro, you need to promote yourself, and the web is a great
place for clients to go look what it is you may do. I'm working on a new site as
we speak.

I promise J, no nude pics. LOL.

Oh, yes.

P.S. I am falling in love, so shoot me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Completely Cold" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL