The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Help for kids show!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

xtreme_mixers
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of xtreme_mixers
Doing a kids show in 4 weeks ,I don't do kids but I couldn't turn down my girlfriends 5 year old and he asked me himself couldn't say no to his face too cute, I have a bit of kids magic ,what would you guys sugest I can learn in 4 weeks to fill 20 min? I have about 3 effects that I can use for kids but do need a few more ,any sugestions?
Matthew 7:5
You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Have you got the colouring book? ypu don't really wnat to spend lot of money for a one of show so I suggest that as penguin magic have them very cheap. Where are you?
Matt
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
What kids magic do you have? What other magic do you do that might be able to craft into a form that children would like?
Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
xtreme_mixers
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of xtreme_mixers
Lincoln england, I'm pretty stuck for money but I have sponge balls n silks ect.. and I have a few kids coin tricks I picked up a long time back when I started coin magic these are the things I have for kids shows so far and I'm currently learning cut and restored rope but that's it so far.

Also I have a gimmick that can move things with my mind or however you wish to present it do you think that would be any good??

also tommmy cooper style wands (cant remember the name) you pull a string on one wand the other wands string goes up I think you know the one I mean.
You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Penguinmagic.co.uk have colouring books for under £4 5year olds may not understand the tasell sticks.
A good sponge ball routine will be fine. Ill think of omething that you could possibly make up yourself. Are you doing a stage type show?
xtreme_mixers
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of xtreme_mixers
Well id call it more a close up show its fro a small party of kids in their house so id would definantly call it close up.

So far I think ill use sponge balls , wand s with rope,maybe a silc coin production floating gimmick and thst as far as ive got at the moment more ideas would be aprecated.

it amy need to be somthing good and flashy I don't know never done kids before Smile
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
There are plenty of rope routines to choose from that kids enjoy. Rope is cheap and adults enjoy rope magic also. Sponge balls always go over well with kids, as well as adults. If you do adult shows already, many of the effects you already do will probably work for kids as well with a little bit of adaptation.

Hope this helps.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Curmudgeon
View Profile
Loyal user
Iowa
245 Posts

Profile of Curmudgeon
What about a ring off rope effect and I am sure that penguin.co.uk has slush fairly cheap. My 4 year old son loves rope tricks,and they go over pretty well for his friends and cousins. Good luck on your show.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Go to the young people's section of your local library and you should be able to find plenty of young people's magic tricks there.
The decimal number is 793.8.
A word of warning: Don't try too much new, since you only have four weeks!
xtreme_mixers
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of xtreme_mixers
Yer I think ill try and aadapt some stuff I have and also learn a few rop tricks I think that will settle them thanks guys
macmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
MA
400 Posts

Profile of macmagic
Look don't see is great for this! and this is nice and cheap, find a flashlight, tell the kids that when they see the light turn on they have to yell out hey(your name) say ok pay attention I'm gonna turn it on now you get ready to yell but remember ONLY when you see the light come on!(pretend to turn the light on a few times and nothing happens, smack the side, one of the kids will yell out "the batteries are dead" say ohhhhh yes no problem I have extras in my case one second let me put them in) now when you turn around to get the batteries put the light under your arm while really turning it on(your back faces the audience and the light is under your arm facing the audience) they will start yelling HEY(your name) pull the light out from under your arm shutting it off as you turn around(if you do this right the kids will never see you turning the light off and on) look at the light that is now off and say no,no you misheard me I said you are only supposed to yell when the lights on now let me get the batteries and we will get started(do this 2 more times until you finally notice the light is on) stop wait till the kids get quite then say"why didn't you guys tell me the light was on?" then ask them to help you blow the light out! and your done
cheesy yes but the kids love it!basically the same idea as a blooming bouquet but I think it works better, I have only once had kids saying your just turning it off and on and those were some older kids that were not really supposed to be there, in fact I actually have a lot of the younger kids lately say"now that's real magic" LOL
Greg
"Its a magic thing...........you wouldn't understand"
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1616 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
If you have a thumb tip, you could do wonders with it.
How about the torn and restored paper, using tissue paper? Wont cost you an arm and a leg.
Use the thumb tip to switch the torn pieces.
You could do the card on back, just a deck of cards that you may have already.
Richard Lyn
xtreme_mixers
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of xtreme_mixers
Tell me more Richard I do have a thumb tip.

Thanks mac I will use the flashlight gag for sure Smile thanks again guys keep em coming I've almost got an act.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7437 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Don't forget to read the older threads here in the Little Darlings area. You can also use the index pinned at the top. It's very helpful.

Your question about being new to children's magic, is not a new question, and has been answered before on several threads. (I can even recall one before where it was for a girlfriend's child's party!)

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
My first show I was in the same boat. Did my normal adult type close up and it worked fine.

One thing though, establish a magic line. Mine I did not and I was surrounded most of the time, kids underneath my hands etc.
stu-di-doo
View Profile
Regular user
Cumbria, UK
160 Posts

Profile of stu-di-doo
Hi Xtreme

If you are doing a cut and restored rope, Practical Magic have a cut and restored skipping rope called "Skip n Snip". This is so simple yet goes down a storm

Hope it helps

Stu Di Doo
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
At 5 years old, the children will not have a tremendous attention span and they will not be able to follow complicated plot lines. Therefore, keep the effects short and simple with lots of audience participation. Try some of these effects:

1. Appearing Cane (Production) - Easy to do - very visual - good way to quickly establish that you are the magician
2. Magic Colouring Book (Transformation) - Easy to do - very visual - allows for lots of audience participation
3. Silk Vanish (Vanish) - Easy to do - very visual - use a volunteer.
4. Silk from Hanky (Production)- Easy to do - very visual - use same volunteer.
5. Chameleon Silk (Transformation)- Easy to do - very visual - allows for lots of audience participation if you perform it as a sucker gag.
6. Professor's Nightmare - - Easy to do - very visual
7. D'Lites (Production) - Easy to do - very visual - go into the audience and penetrate the light through the heads of various kids.
8. Milk Pitcher (Vanish) - Easy to do - very visual - use a volunteer.
9. Dove Pan (Production)- Easy to do - very visual - allows for lots of audience participation as you "Bake a Cake" but accidentally produce candy instead.

This would be about a 20 - 30 minute show and, while another adult is passing out the candies, you can quickly pack up your stuff. Hope this helps.
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
stu-di-doo
View Profile
Regular user
Cumbria, UK
160 Posts

Profile of stu-di-doo
Just my opinion but don't hand out "candies" or sweets, there are too many allergies these days!

Stu Di Doo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Help for kids show!!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL