The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How Young? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jizmagic
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Jizmagic
I recently got a call from a parent who wanted a magician for his daughter who was turning one (the children's ages at the party would range from one year to five years). Do you set limitations on the ages of the children that you perform for (I usually perform for 6-12 year olds)?
May the magic be with you!
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
No limits on age, just change the effects you'll be performing for different ages. I wouldn't do a torn and restored card effect or a mind reading routine for a 2 year old Smile go back to your easy stuff. cups and balls, ball and vase, etc...

Enjoy ! Smile
AragorntheMagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Metro-Atlanta
304 Posts

Profile of AragorntheMagician
I always tell the booking party that I can handle from "2 to 105". I do get a lot of parties for 1 year olds. However the entertainment is always for those older.
Yours,
Aragorn TM
aka: Bob
aka: I used to be BOB (It's Cellini's fault)
"All Right, Who's Volunteering to be Turned into a Frog???"
www.aragornthemagician.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
A 1 year old is not going to enjoy a magic show. However, if you explain this to the client and they're ok with it, then go for it. Since there will be some older kids there, it should go over fine.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Jizmagic
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Jizmagic
Hey Aragorn, who do you gear your effects towards when they ask you to do a party for a one year old?
May the magic be with you!
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
I would suggest your limitations (or lack of limitations) on age ranges, can sometimes be influenced by business necessity. We now just do the girls 3 to 7 birthday range and boys 4 to 6 birthday range. This suits us fine, we can trade sufficiently on this. Anyone just starting out, or anyone who's work is 'thin on the ground' may of course need to expand upon this.

By the way, is there ANYONE out there who ENJOYS doing 1 or 2 year old parties? Could a good trick for one year old parties be to suspend yourself from the ceiling dressed in bright colours playing a harmonica. Have someone twirl you round and then place the child in a pram underneath you?
Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Tyler_Magician
That is really young to perform for. Would she even understand what you were doing?
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
I only perform for school age children, mostly due to the fact that I don't enjoy it as much when they are younger.
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I always inform parents about the child's inability to appreciate magic when the birthday child is three or under. I talk to the parents about the different types of magic for different age groups. They always are so happy that I am honest with them.

In addition, I always do a couple of effects for the adults, so they know that I have the ability to entertain them too, and not just children.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I'd turn it down, I do parties for 4-9yr old. At a 1 year old party you may have a few kids of an entertainable age, but you'll also have a few who are too young. I find people really appreciate my honesty when I tell them they'd be better off spending the money they'd pay me, on a really good present the kid would appreciate.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2446 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
A 1 year old is not going to enjoy ANY kind of show, and the 1-2-3's are often terrified of a clown or costumed character. But if the parents understanbd that and want me to entertain the 4+ crowd, I can - I can even SOMETIMES get a 3 to "star" in the featured rabbit production - and I have a special final gift that suits 1-2-3-4-5's pretty well (I inflate a big yellow smile-face beach ball, costs me about 30cents from Rhode Island Novelty.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How Young? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL