The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » When to use a flourish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

vernal
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of vernal
Any thoughts on when to use a flourish (coin roll, swivel pivot, etc.)? At the beginning of a set to show you know your stuff, after a trick or two while setting up the next routine, never?
"Finger-flinging has about as much relation to magic as a Jazz Band has to Music." - J.B. Bobo. (I don't agree with the jazz comparison, but I still think the quote is funny.)

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." - John Lennon
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
That really depends on your performing persona and the context of the routine.

Suddenly possessed by a circus clown, the performer juggles the cups for a moment, then comes to his senses and wonders if he can catch them before all three hit the ground.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
The only time I tend to use a flourish of coins is when I am in a small setting. I do not mind that one or two people see a coin roll, flourish, or the like, but typically if performing for more than a few (1-3)people I do not use them. Flourishes can sometimes take away from the effect that you are trying to communicate.

Ultimately I suppose the performer should decide what he is trying to communicate.
1. I have very good manipulation/flourishing skills.
2. I have a routine I want you to follow and enjoy... not to say that it can't be done with a flourish, but I try not to mix the two.
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
I use flourishes like coin roll or 4 coin roll down to downs star to get attention and to test who might want to see magic when amongst strangers. eg on a longer train journey I might practice my flourishes and if I realise that someone keeps peeking at me, smile at them and do a little pantomime quick trick etc. Use it to get people interested/curious about your hands and your coins.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4854 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Almost never when performing. Sometimes when watching TV.
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Whenever you want to get someone's attention or look cool. Smile
Kihei
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Kihei
If you can manage a coin roll while concealing 1 or more coins, it implies an empty hand. It can also make for good misdirection if you other hand is doing something. Other than that it is just a cool looking thing to do.
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
I mainly do card work, but I think this applies to all types of flourishes. I do flourishes just whenever I'm out and have a deck of cards. Someone usually says something like, "Wow, you're good," or, "Show me a magic trick," or, "How long did it take to learn that."
I like to use flourishes to get people to come up and ask ME to see magic rather than me go over and ask THEM. When you ask someone if they want to see magic, sometimes they say yes to be polite, and it makes you look kind of pathetic, but when you can use flourishes before you even perform to get an audience, they already know that they are in for something interesting.

Shane Wiker
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Flourishes give the impression of skill. I use them right after an effect accomplished through the use of a gimmick.

Try this some time: roll the first coin in your shelled coins across. Listen to the audience later.

People think foulrishes are difficult. Thus, another good time would be when you're holding out in the same hand as the flourishing hand.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
vernal
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of vernal
Not to nitpick a master, but "the IMPRESSION of skill"? I'm a newbie to coins, but my tapes have Ammar and Carney doing a roll-out, granted not for any purpose - were they just showing off (which I allow as a real possibility)? I think that bugger is hard to do.
"Finger-flinging has about as much relation to magic as a Jazz Band has to Music." - J.B. Bobo. (I don't agree with the jazz comparison, but I still think the quote is funny.)

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." - John Lennon
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
About a year ago when I was starting out with coins I tried a 4 coin roll down ... I gave up fairly quickly thinking this is the most flipping difficult thing in the world that I'll never be able to do and proceded to learn something else. Today I think a 4 coin roll down to a 4 coin Downs star is... well something to do when you're bored or when you're watching TV... None of coin magic is easy, you'll have to put up with it for the reward will surely come once you mastered it.
magic718
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of magic718
I use coin rolls for misdirection.
Peace and love
-Chris
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Chris hit it on the head for me....

I use it as a form of misdirection at times. Not commonly, but sometimes.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
icicular
View Profile
New user
USA
75 Posts

Profile of icicular
Quote:
On 2004-08-04 21:27, vernal wrote:
Not to nitpick a master, but "the IMPRESSION of skill"? I'm a newbie to coins, but my tapes have Ammar and Carney doing a roll-out, granted not for any purpose - were they just showing off (which I allow as a real possibility)? I think that bugger is hard to do.

It IS hard to learn, but once you get it, it just continually falls into place.
A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B. - Fats Domino
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Vern--

Just because something gives the impression of skill that does not mean it's easy. Sometimes, the impression is, well, accurate.

However, there are many harder things one might do with coins that appear (to the audience) to have nothing at all to do with skill. It just looks like magic. See, for instance, Kainoa's "Beijing Trio".

If your goal is to convince the audience that you are skillful, there are two ways to do this: 1) Actually be skillful, AND do something that shows it, or 2) do something that appears skillful, but isn't. In the context of this discussion, either one works.

I have no intention of belittling the dedication required to master something like the four coin roll out. But I can tell you I've spent more time searching for valid reasons to do the move than I did in learning it.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I'll stick the the premise that unless you are supposed to be possesed by some sort of juggler, why fuss with the props.

Could be quite a moment... a surprise channeling experience.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5262 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I almost never use flourishes because I don't want to advertise the fact that I "manipulate" objects. I don't want to provide the audience any explanation for the magic, even something as general as "he somehow manipulated the coins" (they may reach that conclusion anyway, but why foster it?) There's one exception. I do perform a four coin roll out, only because it's the best method I've found for concealing the fact that I'm hiding an extra coin and at the same time it permits me to use a humorous remark that works perfectly at a particular point in the routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » When to use a flourish (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL