The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » CS suggestions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

vernal
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of vernal
Does anyone produce a C/S using currently used currency for the C? Maybe something from the EU?
"Finger-flinging has about as much relation to magic as a Jazz Band has to Music." - J.B. Bobo. (I don't agree with the jazz comparison, but I still think the quote is funny.)

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." - John Lennon
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
Not that I know; but all EURO copper coins are IMHO too small for magical uses.
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
vernal
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of vernal
I've never seen any Euro coins, or coins from pretty much anywhere but the US. My understanding is that the English penny is no longer produced, correct? Is it a choice between that and the centavo (I have no idea if the centavo is still in circulation)?
"Finger-flinging has about as much relation to magic as a Jazz Band has to Music." - J.B. Bobo. (I don't agree with the jazz comparison, but I still think the quote is funny.)

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I use a US Silver Dollar and a US penny, with a giant copper penny the same size as the silver dollar. Learned this from Francis Carlyle. It is as good as it gets.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
I'm sure one of the custom coin makers could make you a C/S coin with a currently used currency. However, would your spectators know the difference? A half dollar copper coin that is currently in use would probably be from a country that most your spectators haven't even heard of and certainly wont be able to find on a map.
vernal
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of vernal
Well, my choice was current currency or a chinese coin. I was trying to stay away from a chinese coin because I felt that it would be more likely to be suspected as a gimmick while real currency (in my limited experience)generally does not raise the same suspicion. Since I've never worked with a chinese coin I don't know that it WILL be suspicious, just my opinion.

Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
Would real currency from Andorra or Congo or Turkmenistan help? (just guessing) you might as well take a chinese coin then...
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5262 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I think that a Chinatown Half is the way to go. The hole in the coin is its strength since laymen can't conclude that a coin could have a hole on one side and not on the other. Also, the Chinese coin is a better contrast with the other coin which is a good thing when you performing a transposition. Generally, the more unlike the transposing objects are the more visual/effective the transposition will be.

If you're concerned about examination, hand out a duplicate ungimmicked Chinese coin to begin with and then switch.

My two coin transposition is one of my favorite coin effects in that it can be done entirely in the hands, magic happens in the spectator's hands, and a lot of magic happens which makes it a great opener.

Larry D.
SOHA
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
178 Posts

Profile of SOHA
A quarter and the new gold dollars; or dime and penny
vernal
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of vernal
Soha - Too small. I want something half-dollar size.

Sirakor - You're right. I was thinking in my head Western currency, something the average Joe might have seen before. I'm not a pro, I just like to entertain family/friends and I want to get some sort of mini-act together for a friend's party where everybody does something (playing an instrument, stupid people tricks, etc.)

Hi, Larry. I like the idea, but I just hesitate on showing people the fact that coins can be manufactured by other entities than the gov't. This way when I slip in my ] nobody will have any clue. Plus it will be done standing and I'm not sure a black or white middle option will work. Hmm, maybe a peach crayon?

Does anyone have an opinion on simply painting a coin w/odd-colored nail polish?

Thanks for the help.

Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5262 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Vernal,

Re. your hesitation "...on showing people the fact that coins can be manufactured by other entities than the gov't...", I share your concern if you mean "coins" that look fake. That's why I use a real genuine Chinese coin. Also as you suggested, I don't use black or white as a middle option (I perform standing) and instead use flesh (if you're interested in the best way of getting a good match, PM me and I'll give you a hot tip). Anyway, I'm not trying to convince you that my way is the only way. It works perfectly for me but there are a lot of options and something else might suit you better. Good luck!

Larry D.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » CS suggestions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.58 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL