The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin shell » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jebahan
View Profile
New user
CT
8 Posts

Profile of jebahan
Is there any possible way to make a coin shell?
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Of course, Johnson, Sasco, and many others have been making them for years. Smile
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Yes, or there wouldn't be coin shells on the market.
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
Rumours have it that you can also find them at the seaside...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
... well only if you can find her and then if she will let you buy them. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
jebahan
View Profile
New user
CT
8 Posts

Profile of jebahan
No, I mean if I could make one by myself. Without sarcasm please, I'm new.
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
Guys, we should not refer to a gaff by it's full name, especially when the name might reveal too much about the workings of the gaff.

I'm guilty of using the full names of several gaffs sometimes, but I'm just making a suggestion. Personally, I prefer using " ] " to describe the mentioned gaff.

Just my $0.02

Brad
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2004-08-04 22:18, jebahan wrote:
No I mean if I could make one by my self, without sarcasm please I'm new

O.K. I sincerely apologize. I just couldn't resist, I knew what you meant. I can speak about the other guys, they were just having fun too (I think).

I suppose you could make your own shell if you have the proper equipment, but I think the feds would not approve of it (though obviously many companies have them, I think that few individuals do).

One thing that immediately came to mind when I read your intial post was a gag my uncle pulled on me when I was young. He took a piece of aluminum foil, molded it against a quarter, took the quarter away, and placed the foil on the ground for me to find. It looked just like a quarter.

I am not exactly sure what this says about me, but to this day, I am excited to find a quarter laying around. I remember how had I felt when my uncle laughed at me as I discovered the foil wasn't a quarter. I am laughing as I write this remembering. This uncle is also who taught me 3 card monte, the shell game, and fast and loose... and he was not a magician.

Actually, thank you for posting this... I am going to incorporate this aluminum foil gag into something I do somehow.
markyeager
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of markyeager
The skills required to make a good shell are similar to the skills that Tiger Woods has in Golf. I search out the masters in magic to learn from, as well as the finest coin gaffers to get the best tools. This allows me concentrate on the effect not on the creating the gaff. This focus has made me a better entertainer. 30 Years of experience has make me think like this.
It's Fun to be Fooled
Norm
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Norm
Jwilder, that is funny! I gotta try that on my little cousins.

as for making your own gaff, you would most definitely need a lathe at the bare minimum and some great machining skills.... at least that is how I would make one.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
From what I hear making a good, useable one is a lot of work, skill, and machinery.
Tom
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
Sorry from me too =/

as markyeager said, it is possible to make one yourself, provided you do have the equipment, the knowledge and the skill and experience to do so. you might as well build yourself a watch or an airplane from scratch... but it's probably easier, cheaper and better if you buy them from someone who's good at making them.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The better question is how to make a ] that fits over a coin. The basic machining to make a ] is almost obvious by inspection of the problem. The extra steps to make an e] are a bit more subtle. Please ask the question in a way that suggests your level of expertise.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Tiki
View Profile
Loyal user
Northwest Arkansas, USA
247 Posts

Profile of Tiki
If you have to ask the question, you do not have the machinery or skill level to make a shell. Even if you did have the tools and skill needed to make your own shell, I suspect it would not be cost-effective for you to do so. You can buy a decent one for less than $40.

For making some other gaffed coins, you may want to check out Steve Dusheck's Coin Magic book.

Cheers,

Tiki
jebahan
View Profile
New user
CT
8 Posts

Profile of jebahan
I already made 1. I tok a large stick of chewing gum, chewed it for a bit, pressed it on the coin for a while, until the picture was imprinted, cut away the excess gum, froze it, painted it, and let it dry in the freezer overnight! a coin s__ll!
Tiki
View Profile
Loyal user
Northwest Arkansas, USA
247 Posts

Profile of Tiki
Sounds like a fine gaff for outdoor winter performances in CT.

Cheers,

Tiki
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Unless you have a machine shop, then it would be very difficult to make your own.

Now, excuse me, I must go over to the Great Salt Lake beaches to look for these shells that Sirakor mentioned.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin shell » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL