The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Black coffee as shiner - feedback please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Scott O,

Yes, licking the nail is a real (and very old) method. If it didn’t work for you, you probably had too little light or too dull a nail. Try buffing your nail with one of those do-it-yourself buffers from a home manicure kit.

Another nice shiner at the dinner table is your knife. Stainless knives are great--spoons tend to be too distorted.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Quote:

On 2001-12-11 17:59, Jonathan wrote:

Is the video an instructional one or just a performance video? Any stage stuff or just close-up?

Hi Jonathan. This is known as a 'hijack'. It means you have used a thread which is about one subject to ask about another, instead of starting a new thread. It's a bit of a 'no no' around here (and most internet forums). I started this thread just as a survey about the plausibility of the coffee shiner idea, which I think is essentially impractical. That's its purpose.

Why not try a new thread, or ask a question in 'Good Bad Garbage'? Cheers.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
Me bad, it is kind of modus operandi of all the other boards I go to. I apologize and plead ignorance. I hope you all will forgive me.

What do you all think? Is this really the way it should be? Let us know.

...just kidding! ha ha ha

Okay, back to the thread.

Jonathan Grant
laidback
View Profile
New user
NJ
51 Posts

Profile of laidback
While we’re on the subject of semi-practical shiners.... In an impromptu situation often I’ll find myself in a living room.

If I pretend to cover my eyes and turn around, many times there will be a great shiner right there -- a tv set (turned off of course). The curved screen gives a wide-angle view of the whole room. Obviously you can’t peek at a billet or card this way, but one thing I’ve done is to hand out some object (whatever’s on hand), tell them to pass it around and one person to hide it in their pocket. Then I turn back around, and the fun begins.

-Steve
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Corinda mentions patent leather shoes, and Marlo mentions the wet thumb nail in Estimation. Problem is, you need a very strong light source BENEATH the card.
fordkross
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of fordkross
I originally saw the idea of using cofee as a shiner in an exposure show, done in London. Was that you Ian?
Curious I tried it, the angles are critical but occasionally they work
More important two people at different gigs accused me of using it even though the cofee was yards away.
Thanks
from
Ford
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Quote:
On 2001-11-29 16:15, Ian Rowland wrote:

I’m a huge MG fan, don’t get me wrong. But I seriously doubt anyone has ever used this in real life, as a genuinely deceptive method, because it’s just too plain difficult to get it to work reliably. You need the lighting and the angles to be just exactly right before it will work.

So, have you ever used this in real-life? Or have you ever heard of anyone using it?

Thanks for your responses.

I drink a lot of black coffee generally all day and spend a lot of time in coffe shops and have had great success with this many many times. I have only encountered problems with it a few times. and those probablems were not lighting and that so much . It was during the first few times I tried this and was a little nervous I guess and focused on it too much and drew attention to what I was obviously doing. Since then I have gained the confidence in my performing and my timing is much better and the handling is much more natural . But yes it is a great idea that DOES work well from my experience. Now with that being said there are other factors that come to play. Such as how bold the writing is on the paper or card. and if you are reading the reflection upside down or oriented the right way. The color of the writing. Playing cards seem to be much easier to see than secret messages or what have you. Since we are all so familiar with cards they are easier to see at a very quick glimpse . There is a lot than can be done with this sort of thing. I could write about it all day. It is something I have played with for a few years now and have lots of thoughts on.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2001-12-11 11:25, Scott O. wrote:
Quote:

On 2001-11-29 16:29, greatscott wrote:

. . . Another great shiner is to lick your thumbnail.

I’ve done a great amount of reading and study of magic in the past few years, but I’ve never heard of licking your thumbnail to use as a shiner. Is this a real method Smile I tried it just now with no success at all.

Because you forgot to paint all of your nails in black... and then apply some reflective nail polish.

Hmmm... This would probably work for Richard Bandler (provided he is still painting his nails in black!)

Quote:
On 2001-12-02 16:56, Ian Rowland wrote:

To answer your specific question, I have tried eye reflection on very few occasions, and always in relatively safe ’informal’ conditions where I could try things out without a whole lot depending on the outcome.

Ian,

Since London resurrected this old thread... Let me ask you - Have you tried with all colors of the iris? I ask that because my thinking is that raven black eyes would work well whereas light green or blue iris would be pretty impossible to make it work.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
I was re reading some of the other post above about how it is not practical. I can see how it comes across that way at first glance but if you take the time and thought playing with it and trying different things it does in fact work. I have found a great way of giving myself time to peek and not drawing attention to it while at the same time directing lots of attention to it. What I mean by that. is I have learned to "create" a situation by which if I am standing at a table and working for someone sitting. I very casual handling of taking the card with the image of imfo on it with my left hand and at the same time casually sliding their cup of coffee off to the right with my right hand at almost the exact same moment the card is pulled beck over the cup. Saying do you mind if I move this so we don't knock it onto your lap. I say this as it is already being moved. so attention is drawn to the cup but after it is well away from the card and this seems to give the impression the card was never near the cup later on when they retell someone what happened. Not that they will mention the cup at on when retelling but in their minds it played no part so they forget it was even in the situation during the effect. I am not sure how this all sounds in writing but if you could see me do it you would get a better idea of the set up and situation that is created unnoticed. It is important when using this "open" shiner or any othe form of "open or visible" shiner not to acknowlegde it exist or at least appear not to ackowledge it. Hidden shiners can be a different animal all together. I have been considering putting a book together on the subject of shiners . All this talk about it is kinda making me want to dust off the old pages and work on it.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
This is an open forum so no, it never works, never will and is a totally silly and unworkable idea....... Smile

M
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
I'm sure this will work under the right conditions but it's not something you would rely on.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Michael Clifton
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Michael Clifton
Just tried this with a cup of tea and a deck of cards on a cloudy day and could quite easily glimpse the bottom card. in the right circumstance this could work. Something to have at the back of your mind.
Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right!
DeeChristopherMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of DeeChristopherMagic
People with glasses are great Smile

Me and Madison were performing an on the spot 2 person code-esque with playing cards, the participant chooses a card from the deck, Madison would flash the card at a particular time and we had a good laugh with it - One of the people said, "are you looking in the reflection of my glasses or something?"

I laughed it off and proceeded to do just that to great success afterwards! Doing a massive goth club on Friday, while the lighting wouldn't be ideal, I'm sure the dark shades will be marvelous! Smile

DC
The EPIC 5 hour billet masterclass is now LIVE!
http://the1914.com
Overdraft | Orphic | Shadow | Eclipse | The Art Of Stagecraft & Many more exclusive magic & mentalism products.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Black coffee as shiner - feedback please (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL