The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Classic Palm (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic718
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of magic718
When I do the Classic Palm the coin shouldn't stick out that much, should it? Or should the coin stay flat on the palm because when I do it, it comes off alittle bit. I not really sure. I have Bobo's Modern Coin Magic and the picture is not a really good one. It makes look flat on the palm. Any advice would really help! Thanks!!
Peace and love
-Chris
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
The better you are, the flatter it is ;-) I don't think its possible to have it perfectly flat as your muscles have to grab the coin somewhere. The coin shouldn't slant too much either though, as that would be an Edge Palm (also in Bobo's). Check out Dan Watkins website http://www.coinvanish.com In the foundations section you will find a very good and detailed explanation of the classic palm with helpful pictures and also some suggestions how to start with Bobo's without getting lost amidst a wealth of stuff.

Good luck and enjoy your journey into coin magic.
Dr.Fate
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Dr.Fate
This may sound redundant,but on Dan Watkins website coinvanish.com he has a very good explanation with pictures of the classic palm.Its under the foundations section.The coin however should not lay flat...in fact I think because of the contours and flexibility of the hand its impossible...Good luck.
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
@ Dr.Fate: I was quicker :-P
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
I agree, the coin can't lay flat, but it shouldn't be way out there, either.

At least for me, the far edge of the coin (the one closest to the fifth finger/heel of your hand) lays right against the skin. The near edge (closest to the thumb) is gripped by the muscle below the thumb and is very slightly raised up.

If you want to watch and learn a good classic palm, get ahold of Volume 1 of David Roth's Expert Coin Magic DVD's. Lots of other good basic sleights and tips on there as well. As noted, the Watkins website is also an excellent resource. Good Luck! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Chevrie
View Profile
Regular user
West Texas
120 Posts

Profile of Chevrie
Any time that you can substitute the finger palm for a classic or edge palm you will be doing yourself a favor.
magic718
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of magic718
Is it normal getting bruise on your hand? Because I was palming it and I took it off for a minute and I notice it was bruise, but I wasnt holding it tight. Any advice?
Peace and love
-Chris
Norm
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Norm
I've never gotten a bruise from classic palming, only from muscle passing. But then again, everyone is different. Maybe the bruise was from something else?
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
I second the suggestion for the David Roth tapes.

Having a "teacher" to show you the moves is very valuable to prevent bad practice. Once fundamentals are acheived, you can acheive good practice on classic rouines.
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Shallow is probably used the most, Deep is great for multiple coins. Just try to avoid cupping your hand.

Kregg
POOF!
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
While I use finger and thumb palms much more than a classic palm, I can't totally agree with Chevrie's comment that you're doing yourself a favor any time you can substitute a finger or thumb palm for a classic palm.

A classic palm has one great advantage over a finger palm or thumb palm -- all four fingers and the thumb are totally free. That's not true with the other palms.

But that doesn't mean a classic palm is the "best" palm; it just has different uses and advantages. Hey, the great Scottish magician John Ramsey couldn't do a classic palm, and came up with the Ramsey subtlety for the finger palm instead. Not bad! SETH
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
Try checking out http://www.coinvanish.com it has a good explanation, tips, and handling of the classic palm.
Chevrie
View Profile
Regular user
West Texas
120 Posts

Profile of Chevrie
I didn't mention the thumb palm. I stand by my comment concerning the finger palm. Anyone that ever saw Johnny Brown work knows how effective and natural the finger palm can be. Also, there are several types of finger palms. (Just ask Mickey Silver) I personally have substituted the finger palm many times in place of a classic palm or edge palm. When you are under the gun in real world situations it is much more reliable. Just my humble opinion.
vernal
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of vernal
Just so you know, on David Roth's Sacramento lecture tape he puts his hands flat on the table and wiggled his fingers while palming.
"Finger-flinging has about as much relation to magic as a Jazz Band has to Music." - J.B. Bobo. (I don't agree with the jazz comparison, but I still think the quote is funny.)

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." - John Lennon
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Chevrie, you are right and I stand corrected: you didn't mention a thumb palm in your initial post. It snuck into my reply when I wasn't looking! SETH
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3027 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Quote:
On 2004-08-07 03:33, vernal wrote:
Just so you know, on David Roth's Sacramento lecture tape he puts his hands flat on the table and wiggled his fingers while palming.

Once you get comfortable palming, doing that is not terribly hard.
Click to visit:
Yiannis
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago USA
352 Posts

Profile of Yiannis
For an ultra flat palm, use Vernon's "Purse" palm as it is used in his trick Spellbound. It doesn't get any flatter than that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Classic Palm (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL