The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Snake Can (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I finally bought David Ginn's Professional Magic for Children. Really liked his snake can routine. However, my concern and question is, can this work in the often tight quarters a birthday show at someone's home or backyard. The kids are rather close to the performance area. I would be worried about knocking out a couple eyes with the snakes pop out. I think Mr. Ginn used the routine for school shows and the like. Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I think things like that are grat if you have room, but in a house you also have to watch it doesn't hit any ornaments, or because the kids are so close to you it may cause a riot when the kids all leap to grab it.

It's one of those, decide on the day when you see the performing conditions tricks.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I never do any tricks where items are out of my control or could possibly end up on the floor in the hands of kids.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Spot on, Clive, so true.
That's a good rule there, Nicholas.
Whenever a kid gets hold of a prop there’s a more or less guaranteed chance of losing a bit of control (they even scramble for the paper from party poppers. Why: I have no idea) I pop 'em and catch 'em nowadays.
So anyroad, I too would quite like to put some spring snakes in my act any ideas on keeping control? Aiming them slightly backwards and catching them is a solution but on the other hand it seems to take away from the fun.
George
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Bev Bergeron (sp?) on his birthday party tape has an outstanding way of using the snakes and the can.

My way for years has been to bring out the peanut brittle can, ask who wants some (they all know the gag), then say ok, open it and take out the real stuff and eat some!

While you are eating and talking as you are eating you begin to put the can away and switch it for the snakes.

When the kids are begging for it, you blast them!

As to the "problems"... well that is a performer issue.

I think most people bring WAY too much stuff into a home for a party, there just isn't room and that causes issues.

Just fire the snakes up and go from there, if someone grabs one, yell "its trying to eat Billy!" and run with it.

I have never had a problem...
macmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
MA
400 Posts

Profile of macmagic
Snakes are really great for any type of show, I used a coffin(similar to the one ine Ginn magic for monster) for years at halloween shows and recently started having them jump out of a book for my reading program, these are both designed to have the snake jump out away from the audience and land on my table.......you could always attach the bottom of the snake to the inside of the can or whatever production item your using that way you never really lose control of them and you are less likely to take out moms favorite vase!
Greg
"Its a magic thing...........you wouldn't understand"
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
I used to do the snake cans in every show. It's a great routine. The main thing about the can at the end is that I would hold the can, letting the kid touch it, so that I controlled where the snakes went. If I thought the kid could take the scare, then they would pop out right in front of his face. If the child was more skittish (or very young) I would point the can in my direction and be scared. Also, I attempted to direct the snakes into my performing area, instead of into the audience. I did have more than a few tugs of war with the kids trying to get the snakes back.
I still use the routine occasionaly for bigger shows, when I have a 'stage area'. To be quite honest, the routine took too long to reset for my 4 shows a day birthday party market.
Hope that helps
Jim Tighe
View Profile
Veteran user
West Virginia
363 Posts

Profile of Jim Tighe
I've used it hundreds of times (in home birthday parties and outdoor family shows). Yes it takes a few seconds to get the snakes back from the kids but never had a major problem or lost control. If you have good control from the start it's easliy recovered after a few seconds of silliness.

As an aside, my wife covered the snakes in cloth per Ginn's recommendation, and it really does makes a big difference.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Also the snakes can be a wonderful source of "re-direction" of the audience's attention so you can do something sneaky (switch, ditch, etc.). the principle of a large motion providing cover for a smaller motion.

A good example is Abbott's Goofus Plant--the snake can is in the guise of a watering can--snakes pop out and the ugly skinny vine changes into a beautiful flower bush.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Maybe its the just the UK but when I perfomed it at a school it didn't the responce I expected, oh well
Matt
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I don't know if I do the David Ginn routine per se. It's been a while since I looked at that David Ginn book, which is in my library. I mostly do my routine at birthdays, and have done it at hundreds of shows.

I use a peanut brittle can covered with a label (with cloth covered snakes), and have the child open it.

When they come out, I quickly grab the two snakes, while flying in the air, and pretend they are attacking me. I even go to the children sitting on the floor, and wiggle them at the children, saying "Oh no, don't let them get you." The children usually back away, but sometimes grab at them. I am holding and wiggling the snakes, and can usually get them before any children can get a good grip on them.

Mostly I take the brunt of the snake attack, to diffuse the "scariness" of the snakes (I do them for 3-6 year olds) by creating humor in the moment.

I even have a snake "attack" me, wrapping around my neck part way.

It's a little bit of mayhem that I am in control of, because I am holding the snakes. I hold the snakes around the middle part, so the ends aren't too far away and out of control (if out of control, they are more likely to get into kids hands.)

I then take the snakes and have the child volunteer hold them instead of a magic wand for that trick. They get to wiggle them and say the magic words. It's pretty funny!

Then I make sure they are put away totally out of sight, so they are not a distraction later on in the show. For the continuity of the routine I do, it doesn't make sense to re-load them (with the gag of them getting loose again) in front of the audience.

BTW, I don't call them snakes in this routine. I call them "woofle worms". I also use spring snakes in another couple of routines. They are snakes in those routines. Smile

- Donald

P.S. MarkTripp -- I liked the peanut brittle gag! Very Funny! Smile
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Michael238
When I perform the snake can, it is usually the Martin Lewis version on Making Magic Vol 1.
Snacks Alive is what he calls it.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts. I don't mind having mayhem in my kids show. I enjoy it. I was mostly worried about the snakes breaking things or hurting the kids. By the way, Ginn has 5 snakes in his can! I've never shot one off before so I don't know how far they go, how fast, or with how much force. But it sounds like it's controllable, even in a living room. Where's a good place to get them and the can?

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I use the one blue snake from a can of peanuts. I bought mine at the mall novelty gag shop for under $6.

I haven't had any kids run off with it yet. Thanks Gr8 for the neat experience:)
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
You might not be able to find the Bev Bergeron (Rebo the Clown) tape...

...so here is 5 minutes ( a bit less) with a snake can!

Ok, they just went off....

You put them back, BUT, when you get one in, you let it go (look don't see) as you bend to get the next one.

Before I go on, let me explain why this is good. The kids see you are going to be silly with these things, and will hand them to you to see what silly/stupid thing this grown up is going to do next!

If you have 5 snakes in there, you do that 5 times, trust me they are laughing like crazy at this point. Now "see" what you did; BIG sigh, get them all in, look for the lid, your hand is covering the tube. Reach for it, ALL snakes fly. Depends on the character, I "cry" at this point! Big sigh, get them all back again, BUT, on the last snake, about half way in put your finger on it. Look for the lid, point the can right at the kids, get the lid, and the snakes fly...NO, only one snake starts to go but your finger stops it. Man they jump and laugh when they see it didn't come out. Put them away.

I do not fire into the children. I fire in my face and to the rear. The only time it looks like I might, is the finish and yes they are really ready to catch the snakes. If someone in the front row wants to "help" (some will, some will think you are really having trouble), let them.

Not my idea, but I have used it for a lot of years.
Chippo
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh, PA
8 Posts

Profile of Chippo
If you're not using snakes at a kidshow you are missing out on lots of fun. Kids love them, after the get over the first "scare" of flying out. I mainly use mine as a second magic prop, like after the breakaway fan didn't work right. Tell the kid volunteer instead of the fan or wand or whatever, just sprinkle it with some magic "woffle dust". What? You don't have any magic woffle dust. Ok, here use mine. Mine is in a sort of covered drinking cup with a lid and spout. I use 3 snakes as that is all the fits. Open the spout, nothing comes out. Hit the bottom and shake again. Still nothing. Undo the lid, yell and run as you are scared by the flying snakes. Doesn't matter if the end up with the kids. You ask the kid volunteer to get them while you apologize for forgetting they were in the cup. Most will give it back to the kid volunteer. As you reach for the last one, let the other 2 fly again. Repeat as often as youo know your getting a great reaction. Finally have the volunteer help you load the last snake, reach for the lid and all 3 go flying. To finish have the volunteer get the lid and close it up right. Grab another wand or similar prop as you put the can away and finish the original trick. I think using a non-standard peanut brittle or similar can helps the original reaction much better.
I have NEVER had any problems! You acn easily guide where the snakes shoot so that kids don't get hit. Shoot slightly over their heads away from any breakables.
BTW you can get 2 cloth covered snakes in a jelly bean can for $8-10 from lots of dealers. Buy a few if you need more snakes. Recover them if colors don't suit your style.
Keep the Magic Alive
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I use mine like mark Tripp and I think it plays really well as you go to get the next snake the other shoots out etc and when you finally put all back in you find the lid as you turn your back the snakes shoot out and you put the lid on. You open up the lid and say were are they? I’m sure I put them in here; all the kids will give them back to almost prove you wrong that they didn’t disappear.
Matt
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I use a snake can I got from a local shop. It looks like a tin of chocolates.

I do my routine much like David Ginns Jelly Bean tin and it gets a great reaction.

I need to find some better snakes than the ones that came with it tho. Anyone know anyone selling just the snakes?
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Can of Wands by Barry Mitchell is a Top Quaity product.
Five 18" spring wands jump out of can and then you can do what you do with the multiplying wands.

Highest Rating
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
I have used my own variation of this effect for close to 25 years all venues and conditions with no problems
Phillip
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Snake Can (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL