The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » 3 Shell Game, Anyone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TalkingHeadsFan
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of TalkingHeadsFan
Does anyone happen to have a cheap set of the Three Shell Game they'd like to donate to a beginner? Smile Smile I've been looking for a cheap set, and have found some, but not without being ripped off in Shipping Costs...Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
Your local grocery store should have whole walnuts. If that's not cheap enough, your local forest may have some.

I'm not being smart alecky here, this is a sincere suggestion. Remember, magicians didn't always have their internet stores...
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Actually, blindbo is very right. Get a few walnuts and some sand paper and you can make a beautiful set. A small piece of sponge will work well for a pea. Probably the best sets right now are from School for Scoundrels, but the reason these were developed is because the real walnut shells had the tendency to crack during airplane trips. This made it hard on tradeshow and other traveling magicians who performed the shells. Unless you're traveling on planes a lot, you can't really do much better than real shells.

Good luck,
Richard
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
533 Posts

Profile of RSD
You can buy a novelty joke version and gag stores. They go for around $5.
flipped
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of flipped
Or you can use bottle caps. right now I use the cap off some free sample of AXE body spary, they are the right size.
claffeyb
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of claffeyb
I'm thinking of also getting into the Three Shell Game via Haydn's DVD. Having purchased too many el-cheapo tricks that are languishing in a closet because they looked and felt cheap, I'm heading more toward getting a very good set. I figure that, at least for me, it is ok to learn the moves with almost anything, but I need a reason to keep me sticking with the trick, and paying $$ for shells is a pretty good reason! Smile Also, I figure that for a newbie, it might be easier to perform some "moves" with a good set. True or not?
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I haven't seen Whit Haydn's DVD, but everything I have seen of his is top notch. Bob Kohler's Golden Shells video is also very good. I own a set of street shells and they are great and make the moves very easy. Most of the ease, however, comes from the peas (hey! that rhymes!) And there is a lot of knowledge to be gained by carving your own set of shells.
Will Gordon
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
124 Posts

Profile of Will Gordon
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
I like the Vernet(sp?) 3 shell game and their cheap (about $12).
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1965 Posts

Profile of tbaer
The school for scoundrels street shells are great and the working pea is fabulous. You may want to try the caps off a WD-40 spray can. They would make great cheap shells and as mentioned above, use a piece of sponge for the pea.
ashah
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Profile of ashah
Penguin sells the "Perfect Three Shell Game" for 10 bucks -- you get the shells, pea, and an instructional video download. Free shipping.

I don't have them so I can't vouch for their quality, but it is cheap.
what so ever
View Profile
New user
Denmark
61 Posts

Profile of what so ever
I know a friend who got the trick and he HATES the trick ...but then ,it looks really good
the_houdini_jester
View Profile
Loyal user
Charlottesville, Virginia
264 Posts

Profile of the_houdini_jester
Penguinmagic.com has some I don't think they're that expensive
All the Magic things I don't have are like the foods I've never had. One day I'll have some but I will never have all.
Tabasco
View Profile
Loyal user
The Netherlands
219 Posts

Profile of Tabasco
3 empty match boxes and a small ball made of paper. That's the way they do it here on the streets. Cheap to replace when they have to run......
the biggest card trick exchange center,
we have over 1600 tricks in our indexes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » 3 Shell Game, Anyone (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL