The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusions Without Mutilation/Danger (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Laughing Otter
View Profile
Loyal user
Behind you!
205 Posts

Profile of Laughing Otter
DonaldD makes a tremendous point that so much of the general public seems to glaze over. Parents are responsible for what their children are exposed to, and only they can know what those children are ready to see.

I am on the production crew of a major haunted attraction. (Major? It is now the third week of August and we are in full production - have been for about 12 days now!)
We advertise and enforce a "PG-13, Parents Strongly Cautioned" rating because the scares are **very** intense.
Yet every year, we have a parent or two loudly insisting that their 8 or 10 year old will be fine, and demanding that we sell them tickets. With a stern warning that we will not stop a tour, issue a refund, or pay the kid's therapy bills, we'll take their money.
They often come out p.o.'d at us because they ended up *physically carrying* their sobbing, screaming 10 year old through most of the haunt.
I feel deeply for the kids; not because they've been terrified once, but because their parents are so clueless and irresponsible.
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Good point Laughing Otter.
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
Quote:
On 2004-08-17 12:37, magicman845 wrote:
I have had similar concerns when adding illusions for my childrens show. Even needle through balloon seems somewhat inappropriate for certain age groups. For illusions, though, you may want to consider productions such as the Tip Over Trunk or levitations such as the Chair Suspension. I understand that the Chair Suspension can be performed surrounded and the Tip Over Trunk can be made to do the same.

Hi Magic Man,

You've got my curiousity going. Did you mean you've found a way to do Tip Over Trunk surrounded? Were you thinking of using backdrops? As someone who has produced people from big tip over trunks and glasses of water from small ones I can't see how this would be possible. Maybe I misunderstood the post.

Steve
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Maybe Magic Man is referring to a version of the Tip Over Trunk wherein the trunk is within another trunk.

I saw it in a Doug Henning show, I think (?).
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
I remember when I was five a magician came to our school and climaxed his act by sawing the teacher in half with what I recalled as being a chainsaw but which was probably actually a jigsawing. And it did scare the bejesus out of me at that age, a reaction not helped by the fact I covered up my eyes while it was going on so I could only hear the noise of the motorised saw. The fact the teacher in question was obviously OK afterwards and reassured me as such was at the time more confusing than it was comforting.

I think if the magi had made her disappear instead of carving her up he'd have accomplished the same goal in terms of disposing of the teacher in a better way far less likely to cause nightmares, the natural reaction to that is more grounded in fantasy than in shock. Charles Morrit did good business in the 19th century making minor celebrities of the "men-we-love-to-hate" ilk disappear onstage, whereas blade illusions were designed not as mildly malevolent fantasies but as scary dramas, right up until television made it necessary to find ways to include those illusions (which were by then expected set pieces) while de-emphasising the violent connotations.

I have occasionally wondered if that early experience had any effect on the fascination I later developed for the death/resurection side of magic; I guess there are two directions someone can go in from that sort of an experience, either developing an abject fear/aversion to such things or the exact opposite (which was my own case). If that magi did indeed contribute to the happy maniac I went on to become, my hat is off to him, I'd never have had as much fun without him. But take that as you will. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusions Without Mutilation/Danger (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL