The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Disclaimer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

carly
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of carly
How would you define a disclaimer?
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
"I am going to do this, but don't hold me responsible for the effects on your mind, personal property or your health!"

"Please don't try this at home. I am an experienced professional!"

"Watch but don't try!"

You get the point? I hope.

A statement which absolves you of any responsibilities for someone trying to emulate what they have just seen
and consequently causing damage or personal injury to themselves or others because of a failed attempt is also one way to define the word "Disclaimer".
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
It's a warning, like on jack***. Smile
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
In the area of mentalism, an old Robert Nelson disclaimer went something like this:

"I claim no supernatural powers nor help from supernatural agencies; but I do claim that just as radio transmits the voice, and television the picture, so too the mind transmits the thought."

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2039 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Webster's would define it thusly:

Dis*claim"er, n.
1. One who disclaims, disowns, or renounces.

2. (Law) A denial, disavowal, or renunciation, as of a title,
claim, interest, estate, or trust; relinquishment or
waiver of an interest or estate. --Burrill.

3. A public disavowal, as of pretensions, claims, opinions,
and the like. --Burke.
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
A disclaimer in Mentalism would be defined as follows:
It does not exist!
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Disclaimers are often ways people use to keep the gendarmes from tossing them in the pokey. For example, at one time, it was illegal to practice hypnosis in the state of Pennsylvania, which is where Kreskin is from. But Kreskin did hypnosis as part of his stage act. How did he get away with working in Pennsylvania? He claimed that he was not practicing hypnosis, and that hypnosis did not exist. He also challenged any doctor, psychologist or psychiatrist to prove by means of an EEG that there was a difference between hypnosis and a normal state.

David Hoy's disclaimer was "I'm a mindreader and I'm a fake!" Many of his audience members did not believe him.

Some areas have laws against anything that smacks of fortunetelling, so in areas like that, some mentalists will say, "What you are about to witness is not fortunetelling nor is it based upon supernatural powers. It is simply the application of talents that lie innate in every one of us. I have simply, by constant practice, increased my abilities to an unusual degree." And that may be considered a disclaimer.

So basically a disclaimer is a CMA statement.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Steve Knight
View Profile
Elite user
Oxford U.K.
479 Posts

Profile of Steve Knight
Make no claims... offer no disclaimers. Easier said than done of course. It's hard to tread the line between taking advantage of the gulible and insulting the intelligence of the sceptical. However, my girlfriend is sceptical where mentalists are concerned yet felt that Derren Brown's mild disclaimers in his stage show actually weakend the experience for her, which wasn't what I expected to hear.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Try this.... Downplay the disclaimer as much as you can, in fact use it as a joke.... but never ever contradict it.

This works well in a comedy sense, because you can say great things of "Of course no actual mind reading just happened, I have some secret method of extracting a thought that existed solely in her mind....", ect.

If you tread a very fine line, you will not only have a disclaimer of any real powers, but it will show them that whatever just happened was really impossible and there is no explanation.

Just a thought...
ThomasBerger
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of ThomasBerger
In my view, a disclaimer supports Political Correctness.
You cannot legislate against stupidity.

I would refuse to tread this path.
Tom
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
I wholeheartedly agree Tom...It is my reason for not using one as well....I merely happen to know the definition!
~2
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
Like houdini I claim that every thing I do is acolplished by natural means, however I like the idea that some audience members make up their own definition of natural, still I never clainm supernatural.
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2039 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Quote:
On 2004-08-08 00:03, Lee Marelli wrote:
A disclaimer in Mentalism would be defined as follows:
It does not exist!

Mentalism does not exist?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Disclaimer (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL