The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Reading their Minds (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
McCritical
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of McCritical
Quote:
On 2002-08-08 18:55, Mikael Eriksson wrote:
Can we trust what we read in the papers? If we can in this case, did it happen repeatedly in ohter interviews too? If it did, you may have something.

Mikael

I'm thinking you might have a gutsy psychic who does her homework. Reporters are public figures, and most of their work is available for public review.

Bob Cassidy's "Theories and Methods I" has a clean technique of discovery that can work for a newcomer's portfolio or a pro in search of a new market. [Hint: Don't be fooled by the phrases in italics--I'm just suggesting them as excuses to employ the technique. Cassidy's method is more directly related to padding a performance than padding a resume]
Sniper
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Sniper
Quote:
On 2002-08-08 06:49, McCritical wrote:

Actually, a better concept would be to have a precognative bit where you predict unnaturally short life-spans for certain members of the audience.

My friend is a Sharpshooter!

:idea:

MIRACLES!!!

Sn!per
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC / NOVA
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
I read Yaniv's posts with interest. I'm curious to know what your frame of interest is in the topics of "mindreading," "ESP," and "Mentalism." Is the goal to provide a demonstration, to entertain, or to screw with someone's head? The human psyche is very delicate; to "pump" someone for information, and then proceed to "whisper their naughty deeds" to them, falls under the category of manipulation. That's my humble opinion. I don't find it particularly entertaining to cause someone emotional shock or "mental meltdown," just because one has the ability to do so. However, maybe it is all in the eye of the beholder. I have had audience members attribute supernatural powers to me following a simple card effect. In those cases, I have adapted a line from my friend Scott Guinn: "If I could really perform miracles, would I be here in 'Beet Root, Idaho' doing card tricks for you?"

This brings up the age-old argument: if you are performing as a mentalist, thought-reader, pseudo-psychic entertainer, do you have a responsibility to make a disclaimer? The leaders in this area of entertainment typically state that if a mental performer is in the theatrical arena, then nothing further needs to be said. If one is using information-gathering or reading techniques to freak someone out, or to cause them to actually believe that he or she has powers, then the motive is suspect. This is the type of behavior that lends itself to starting cults. Is the desired outcome to create fear, a desire to worship, or to amaze and entertain?

Smile
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
Paradox
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Paradox
Yaniv, it isn't what you tell them, it's how you tell them. It isn't what words you use nearly so much as how you use the words.
And the words have to be your words. Even if you use someone else's presentation, word for word, you have to make it yours by the way you're using it.
Telling someone their ID number doesn't have to be a "so what" experience. If you're an experienced performer, you should know how to make your presentation of this information effective.
See Richard Busch's PEEK PERFORMANCES, p26, 1st paragraph, bold face text. Yes, he's talking about billets here, but the principle is the same.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Y'know...something Craig said just hit me a weird way. He pointed out the "though reader" vs. "mind reader" semantics thing, which got me thinking. Technically, if you read what a person wrote on a billet via your favorite peek, you're reading her thoughts. She had a thought, wrote it down, and you read it, so you're really being honest if you say you're reading her thought :o)
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Andy,

I have always billed myself as a thought reader. If someone punches you in the face, you ceratinly know their thoughts.... I truly do not believe that anyone can read minds, but thoughts, individual thoughts, under the right conditions is at least believable and you are correct about the revelation of what was written, as it is revealing that thought.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/abstagecraft

Quote:
On 2002-08-08 00:36, MagicManDennis wrote:
I think we should keep more into the entertainment value of mentalism rather than the scary real mind reading stuff Yaniv was talking about.
Be a friend to your spectators not the man that knows your inner most secrets.
Smile

Doing mentalism in an entertaining manner is why most fail at it and go back to magic. Reading minds IS what you are demonstrating and it is scary and creepy to many people that someone might be able to read those inner most thoughts. The trick is to do that and remain in the audiences favor. If you can't do that, then it is best to stick with magic!

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/abstagecraft
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Once again Paul, you've hit upon an important point here...

Reading a "Mind" is a problem...

Theologically & Philosophically it has been debated for thousands of years as to "where" the "Mind" really is... some of the more ancient traditions believe that the "Mind" is the "seat of the soul" and resides in both, the heart and brain. In some traditions the eating of one's parents heart and brain after death (as well as enemies) was supposed to pass on their strength and wisdom... of course, this perspective in action lends we Bizarrest types a whole new angle when it comes to the issue of "Channeling"... Smile

O.k. I'm bored and posting some rather sublime points of view. Smile
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Quote:
On 2002-09-20 16:41, Darmoe wrote:
Once again Paul, you've hit upon an important point here...

Reading a "Mind" is a problem...

Theologically & Philosophically it has been debated for thousands of years as to "where" the "Mind" really is... some of the more ancient traditions believe that the "Mind" is the "seat of the soul" and resides in both, the heart and brain. In some traditions the eating of one's parents heart and brain after death (as well as enemies) was supposed to pass on their strength and wisdom... of course, this perspective in action lends we Bizarrest types a whole new angle when it comes to the issue of "Channeling"... Smile

O.k. I'm bored and posting some rather sublime points of view. Smile

There is research now to suggest that the mind exists throughout the body in every cell. There have been reports over here that people who have had organ transplants took on some of the behaviour and memories from the donors....
Allan-F
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Ontario
131 Posts

Profile of Allan-F
Quote:
On 2002-09-20 16:59, shrink wrote:
There is research now to suggest that the mind exists throughout the body in every cell.

That would be shocking and revolutionary if it were true. Can you give a source for this? (Not necessarily an original source... secondary is fine.)
Allan-F

"What can be thought of or spoken of necessarily IS, since it is possible for it to be, while it is not possible for NOTHING to be." -- Parmenides
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Actually, the whole organ donor thing has been heavily documented and researched since the late 1960s. I believe there's been both, legit news investigative reports with programs akin to 60-Minutes as well as Sci-Fi based parody bits on Tv associated with this "sympathy".

It might make for an interesting premise for someone doing a Two-Way Telepathy act..."This lady has one of my kidney's and has, as a result of the operation, gained some of my abilities... let' me demonstrate..." Smile
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Paradox
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Paradox
I can attest to the business of taking on characteristics of medical donors from personal experience. About 2 years ago I had a severe medical emergency which almost killed me. 11 days in the hospital, 6 of them in ICU, bowel surgery on a Sunday night & over 20 pints of blood.
I immediately developed an interest in sports, which I'd never had before. I even watched baseball on TV which I normally consider a waste of time. All this wore off as my own blood redeveloped.
Weird, eh?
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
Thank you for sharing Paradox. A very interesting story! I have never had any blood donation or anything similar, but I have experienced another thing that changed my personality. About 10 years ago I met a man who told me about a period of 3 years when he ate nothing but fruit. What he told me made me realise that we only BELIEVE we know how it feels to be healthy. We don´t KNOW. Anyway, it inspired me to try. I have since tried several times, a few days every time. Now to the personality change. Every time I do this I notice several things:

1. I get very strong mentally

2. I get a very strong self esteem.

3. I get very calm

4. My doubts about all sorts of things
vanish.

5. I get very focused on my target.

Now you might believe that I use to be a nervous wreck, but no. I usually am strong mentally, have a strong self esteem, am calm etc. But the effect of this diet is so strong that I can only describe it like I become another person.

Talking about that, it´s been some time since I did it, I have to take a few days on fruit some day!

Mikael
scheda
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago, IL
287 Posts

Profile of scheda
I may just try that Mikael. Thanks for that idea. I have heard of things like that before, but never heard any "testimony" from someone who has done it. Now I'll try it.

Smile
Coming soon... Who knows!
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Quote:
On 2002-09-21 15:04, Mikael Eriksson wrote:
Thank you for sharing Paradox. A very interesting story! I have never had any blood donation or anything similar, but I have experienced another thing that changed my personality. About 10 years ago I met a man who told me about a period of 3 years when he ate nothing but fruit. What he told me made me realise that we only BELIEVE we know how it feels to be healthy. We don´t KNOW. Anyway, it inspired me to try. I have since tried several times, a few days every time. Now to the personality change. Every time I do this I notice several things:

1. I get very strong mentally

2. I get a very strong self esteem.

3. I get very calm

4. My doubts about all sorts of things
vanish.

5. I get very focused on my target.

Now you might believe that I use to be a nervous wreck, but no. I usually am strong mentally, have a strong self esteem, am calm etc. But the effect of this diet is so strong that I can only describe it like I become another person.

Talking about that, it´s been some time since I did it, I have to take a few days on fruit some day!

Mikael

Funny... I noticed the very same personality changes back in the 60s and 70s... I know it was from the things I ate and smoked and drank... Smile
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
On 2002-09-21 15:04, Mikael Eriksson wrote:
About 10 years ago I met a man who told me about a period of 3 years when he ate nothing but fruit. What he told me made me realise that we only BELIEVE we know how it feels to be healthy. We don´t KNOW. Anyway, it inspired me to try. I have since tried several times, a few days every time. Now to the personality change. Every time I do this I notice several things:

Of course, be sure to never try a radical diet without first consulting with your physician!

I have serious doubts that one can maintain an all fruit diet for an extended period of time without serious detrimental side effect to your health.

Remember, everybody needs a certain amount of protein and fats, plus certain vitamins and minerals that are not available through fruit alone (unless you're considering various nuts and vegetables as 'fruits').

Okay... I'll get off my nutritional soapbox now and let this thread continue its normal topic theme.

:evilgrin:
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
"Of course, be sure to never try a radical diet without first consulting with your physician!"

Well, if you have diabetes, of course, don´t try this.

"I have serious doubts that one can maintain an all fruit diet for an extended period of time without serious detrimental side effect to your health."

I´m not sure either, but obviously at least one person could do it for 3 years Smile
In Sweden there is a man that has been living on fruit for 16 years now. As I understand it he has not had a cold the last 16 years, neither the flu or anything else. I´m only mentioning this as an interesting phenomenon, please DON´T try to eat only fruit for the next 16 Years!

"Remember, everybody needs a certain amount of protein and fats"

When it comes to protein we need much much less than most people believe. And fruit contains protein, something that many don´t know, albeit little protein. And regarding fats, most people who eat only fruit also eat avocado, which has a lot of fat in it.

"plus certain vitamins and minerals that are not available through fruit alone"

Actually, all fruits contain all minerals in varying amounts, and the same is essentially true for the vitamins. HOWEVER, vitamin B12, is present in very small amounts in fruit, but there has been indications that in raw food vegetarians this vitamin is produced in the intestines, and thus supplied to the body, but it´s controversial.

Remember, any HEALTHY person can eat fruit for 2 or 3 days. You will not get a deficiency in such a short time. It´s of course a risk if you continue for months or years...

To conclude this, don´t start eating only fruit for the rest of your life. I only wanted to share an experience Smile

Mikael
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Quote:
On 2002-08-07 22:52, McCritical wrote:
Why not confront the spectator with information that he would typically deny. Leave it up to the audience to determine whether you've just read his mind or the spectator is lying through his teeth. Statements like "I see you're cheating on your wife," or "You really need to stop stealing from work," would shake things up a bit in your performance.

Should a spectator claims that he's not doing the things you're accusing him of (and they most undoubtably will), all you need to do is confidently remind the audience that most thieves and cheats will try to lie their way out of a situation.

You then need to taunt them by identifying their physical reactions with the common attributes of a dishonest person caught in the act. (i.e. "Look me in the eye and say that!" "Do you always sweat like this?" or "An honest man needs no explainations")

The downside of this routine is an obvious adversarial relationships that you will develop with unwitting members of your audience, and an increased potential for physical harm. The advantage is that you can claim ALL HITS because you knew the spectator would try to lie his way out of the situation anyway. At that point it's up to the crowd to determine whether he's guilty or not, and your performance to prove that he is.

A psychic Dr. Laura routine...that ought to pack them into the seats.

Very very interesting post Smile
I think the best is to have proof of what you say.
Before the show you engage a private detective,for example Mike hammer he's very good but of course if you live to Hawai Thomas Magnum is the best choice.
So you coming to the show with pictures and others proof and when the spectators denied, you show to everybody the proof.
The best for that is to have a cinema screen on stage.

then to avoid to be wounded by the angry spectators you engage some body guard.
I advice Steven Segal, Vin Diesel or jean claude Van Damme.
of course the best will be to have these three men together because you'll have many angry spectators.

Now the negative point but not really is all this stuff is very expensive.
anyway is somebody do like that, I'm sure his show will be the most talk about show in the world.
So money doesn't will be a problem
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Reading their Minds (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL