The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin vanishes? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
joethebunny
View Profile
New user
Potomac, MD
31 Posts

Profile of joethebunny
What are some books/videos that teach complete coin vanishes that leave both hands clean? I already have Bobo's but I'm interested in learning more.
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Jay Sankey's Non-Stop Party Magic has a vanish called the "Messiah Vanish" I believe. Both hands end up and are shown empty at the same time. However, the coin does come back into play. The vanish is accomplished without sleeves.
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
http://www.newmagicsecrets.com

Check out the 'Vanish in the Air.' Smile
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
Get Roth's Expert Coin Magic.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
How about false transfering and asking someone to "hold on to this coin for a while," as you aparently drop the coin in their hand. As you say this and move to hand the coin, do a slight turn and casually d***h the coin. By the time they finish reacting to the vanish, the evidence is gone, and when they naturally look to your other hand, it is visibly empty and doing something natural...like picking your nose or slapping someone (open palm of course, no subtlety needed here)

As long as it's off the beat it'll have some good impact. (the vanish that is)

I do not believe the way a coin vanishes is what impresses people.

The very first question that the logical mind asks when a coin vanishes is NOT "How did it vanish?" the very first question the mind asks is "Where did the coin go?" Then the eyes begin looking for answers. That is why unless you are dealing with a stand alone vanish, tansfers/vanishes occur within routines to support an overall effect.

A coin vanishing is a coin vanishing, some will argue all day against that, but MANY magicians get by with finger palm false transfers to effect a vanish. It's all about routining and timing the vanish with the tempo of the moment. Only magicians care about the latest and greatest method.

This isn't to say good retention vanishes aren't more magical, I'm saying that in the end the spectator remembers one thing "It vanished...cool"

I suggest that you learn routines, and if you invest in the David Roth video/DVD series, you won't be sorry.

-Brad
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
I do not believe the way a coin vanishes is what impresses people.

Wrap a coin up in flash paper. Light the paper and show the coin is gone. I think that would impress them. Smile

Mike
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Rubensteins videos vol one and two are excellent,
as well as Roth's videos.
Brad Burts has teaching videos on coins as well and are excellent for the beginner...
hope these suggestions help

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
I think it was a telling comment that "MANY magicians get by with finger palm false transfers to effect a vanish." How many of us want to just "get by"?

When you watch someone who is really good, you will see the difference in the audience reactions. Watch Armondo Lucero's audience, or Shoot's(Ogowa), you will see what I mean.

Beginning vanishes are a good place to start, not necessarily to end. Along the journey you will develope the understanding and acting necessary to effect more impactful magic, if you are aware and constantly strive to improve. Vernon used to say, most magicians stop thinking too soon.

Kirk G
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Some folks did very well with those fingerpalm transfers. Chapender, Kaps, Ramsay...

The question comes down to doing the transfers well enough that they go by unchallenged or better still, unnoticed. That seems worth the effort.

There are plenty of answers around to the question posed about hands empty vanishes. From sleeves, pockets, pulls and gaffs, it's not a big problem to vanish ONE coin cleanly.

Life gets interesting when you want to do that a few times in a row.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Very true Jonathan. I could have made my point better that after the journey, even the finger palm vanishes will improve. Note, I distinguish between finger palm vanishes and finger palm concealments.

One of the items I am working on right now is how to vanish, convincingly, 4 coins one right after the other. I want the vanishes to look as good as the aquitments. If you watch Conover do the C&C you will see what I mean. His handling appears so quick, casual and careless, that you don't even imagine that he is holding out.

Kirk G
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Kirk,
Have you seen Conover do this recently or are you refering to the Mullica Bash clip?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2004-08-08 09:40, joethebunny wrote:
What are some books/videos that teach complete coin vanishes that leave both hands clean? I already have Bobo's but I'm interested in learning more.
TOPIT!
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
joethebunny
View Profile
New user
Potomac, MD
31 Posts

Profile of joethebunny
Who is the magician that performs these? http://www.infinite-image.net/gone/

Is there a video that teaches those?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

The guy's name is Greg, and he posts on the Café. There was some discussion about one of his vanish moves some months ago. If you ask him, he might offer to teach you. I believe his ID here is grostami.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Andrew Goldenhirsch,who is one oth the best kept secrets in coin magic uses finger palm and false trasnfers , as amatter of fact his ramsey all his fingers are open and you stll can't see the coin.
.Most magicians that use a clascic palm look like they are ready to squeeze oranges the old fashion way.Mickey silver the best coin worker today always uses finmger palms.I do not believe he uses a classic palm

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
KirkG, I wasn't saying that some techniques aren't more deceptive or beautiful than others, I was simply trying to suggest that technique isn't always what the audience cares about.

There are puts, takes, tosses, tumbles, retentions, etc....blah blah blah blah

Use what works for you, but some great magicians built their reputations on simplicity and I was just trying to suggest that the original poster re-read Bobo and try the dif methods for complete vanishes because the ideas are very good. Sure there have been hundreds of new ideas since then, but classics never die.
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
Sk8rDave
View Profile
Regular user
California
189 Posts

Profile of Sk8rDave
I can't believe that nobody pointed out the ross bertram books as ways to vanish a coin or multiple coins cleanly. Check out his work on the "texas topit" in Bertram on sleight of hand and I think his work on the coin clip is also in the book. His magic and methods has some good stuff too but I think more of what you're looking for is in Bertram on sleight of hand.

Dave
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
One name: Tony Slydini
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

What counts here, is what you want to do with the coin afterwards to manage the traffic. There are lots of ways to ditch one coin. Life gets intesting when you are trying to vanish several coins.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Frank,

I think it is the Mullica Bash clip. It was a while ago and it is a very dark clip. I haven't seen him work lately, but I have heard very favorable reports.

Bradley,

I think you made some very good points in your 1st and second posts. I agree with most of them. I agree that audiences don't care about technique(as in secret moves) but they do care about it as it pertains to effect( the eye candy vanish).

So a vanish that proves to them, without over proving, that the coin is where they think it is, when it dissappears, that is the strongest magical effect. Then when they recover and start looking for it or where it went, and they still can't find it, that is the icing on the cake. Your idea of ditching before they look for it is excellent.

As such, I recomend always trying to be better, and Bobo's is a great place to start. Even if that is all you use, if you care and think hard abut it, you will improve. But I do think it does the performer a disservice to ignore the other sources, which do go further than Bobo's.

The Goshman vanish is simplicity in itself, but works because of the advanced ideas of people like Al Schneider. I am not suggesting who thought what up first, just that Al Schneider explains it well.

Simple is good. Look at the Vernon Vanish of a ball or coin. See me at the Castle and I will show you what I mean.

Slydini is great, but a large part of his work can't be done standing, although with some modification . . .

In all the greats hands, moves don't look like moves and they are effortlessly executed. That is what you should learn from them(IMHO).

Kirk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin vanishes? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL