The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Misdirection can be a wonderful thing, but... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MichelAsselin
View Profile
Veteran user
20th century, 3rd dimension
326 Posts

Profile of MichelAsselin
" , ? ; !!! "
- Marcel Marceau, Feb 30, 1945.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase, "turning on your audience"!
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
mattneufeld
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of mattneufeld
What a tough audience!
Jorge Gonzalvo
View Profile
New user
Spain
71 Posts

Profile of Jorge Gonzalvo
About misdirection, I have an own reflexion. I think we only can aply misdirection in close up magic, I mean , that misdirection is a concept stablished for magic for a few people in the audience and a short distance to them.

My question is: what about your opinion in misdirection on stage magic?...does it exists?

Thanks

Jorge
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Jorge,
The late Harry Blackstone Sr. used misdirection in his stage show in a powerful way.
While the audience's attention was directed, by him, to one side of the stage, animals were brought on the other for a "magical" appearance.
It worked.
This was by no means original with Harry; a number of stage magicians used similar misdirection for major illusions.
So I guess the answer is "yes", misdirection is about as important for stage work as for close-up work.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
Didn't Blackstone Sr. also use misdirection in an effect where he would chase a duck around the stage whilst the "work" was going on in near plain sight?

I remember reading about it, but can't remember what stage effect it was...
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Quote:

My question is: what about your opinion in misdirection on stage magic?...does it exists?

Yea, I saw this guy putting swords through his assistant in a box, as he put the last one in there was a scream and a pyrotechnic from the top of the sword, he then walked over to the other side of the stage and asks to girls if he scared them, as he turns and walks away a VERY loud bang goes off and he turns round and goes "ha ha!" I don't know what the misdirection was for... because it definately worked!
Jester
:clownjuggling:
Risto L.
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
174 Posts

Profile of Risto L.
So this again proves that smuggling drugs does require balls. Smile And Jorge, I don`t think they were laughing at your contribution but rather at the story Michel posted here.

Risto
RangeCowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Long Beach
198 Posts

Profile of RangeCowboy
Very poor magician if he could not mis-direct a customs inspector.

He should have opened with his torn and restored passport, maybe a floating $100 bribe - and the handcuffs act, well, he obviously didn't practice enough.

And never perform under the influence !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Misdirection can be a wonderful thing, but... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL