The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Some questions about card mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

vaughan54
View Profile
New user
new jersey
15 Posts

Profile of vaughan54
Hi everyone,

What sources should I use to find some good card mentalism tricks and effects that really get the best reactions? Which DVDs, videos, books, etc., should I refer to, to get my assortment of mentalism tricks from.
"Those who follow in each others footsteps usually trip."
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
People will suggest you do a search here at the Café to find tons of information. I don't do a lot of card mentalism, but maybe you should look at Annemann's books and Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism.

Anabelle
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I can't agree more with Anabelle. Also try Osterlind's BCS.
bluefred
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of bluefred
You can try the books above and some Docc Hilford videos from Flora & Vompany. Other books that deal with card and mentalism is "Mental Mysteries" of William Larsen Jr., and any Larry Becker books. Try some stack deck like the ones mentioned above---Osterlind's BCS, Joyal's six-hour memorized deck or Doug Dyment's quick stack.

I hope this help.

P.S. Try to do a search here in the Café. :-]
DangerMouse
View Profile
Special user
LONDON CITY
506 Posts

Profile of DangerMouse
I have found that looking at magic books will supply you with a whole load of ideas, especially when it comes to card work.

Also Stacked and Marked decks are a great asset for any mentalist.

Curt.
Cheese is nothing but thick milk.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2566 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
If you are going to use cards, just make sure it appears

ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE

and has as little association to 'card tricks' as possible

1. No flashy moves
2. No 'shuffling'
3. No handling, or as little as possible by you
4. Involves events that do not appear in 'normal' card tricks
5. And even, do not involve cards till the last minute (such as Brainwave)

A good way to do this is to look like your about to start doing a card trick, but before you then go into what people 'expect' from a card trick, you're already off....Radar for instance. People are expecting a 'card trick sequence of events' to take place after they've looked at a card - and you skip the whole thing and start freaking them out. They are not expecting this and it works a treat.

So I guess one of the good things about appearing to START doing a card trick in mentalism is it lulls the audience into expectation and then disrupts that pattern, which is quite powerful.

Oops, no idea where that outburst came from
DangerMouse
View Profile
Special user
LONDON CITY
506 Posts

Profile of DangerMouse
Me neither but I liked it.

CJ
Cheese is nothing but thick milk.
hjelm
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden, Borlänge
112 Posts

Profile of hjelm
"No 'shuffling'". Is that a "law"? In that case Osterlinds BCS out of question. He uses "shuffling" both with jumbo cards and ordinary cards.
hjelm
sweden
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
I don't think Bev was saying don't shuffle...probably just saying to emit the part where you say, "watch me shuffle this deck." Followed by a perfect Faro with a dovetail waterfall at the end (is that a move?)

Anyway, you'll notice Osterlind doesn't comment on it. He just does it without a bit of attention drawn to it...a shuffle followed by a few slip cuts. Nothing is ever mentioned about the fact. When people see a deck of cards, most will be watching for a shuffle. They watch even more closely when you tell them you are shuffling.

John E
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2566 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Exactly
Laughing Otter
View Profile
Loyal user
Behind you!
205 Posts

Profile of Laughing Otter
Anything using playing cards suggests to me that the performer is a magician. Magicians juggle cards.
Anything amazing is too easily written off as trickery.
But that's just me...
randomdan
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of randomdan
"Anything using playing cards suggests to me that the performer is a magician"

That's because you associate magic and cards, because you're a magician yourself.

But unless you're performing down the magic club, what does a LAY audience associate with cards?

Card games! Gambling!

As long as you don't say you're a magician, and they don't think you're a magician, why should they suspect magic tricks?
ThomasBerger
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of ThomasBerger
If you can track down Lewis Ganson's ROUTINED MANIPULATION Vol 2, you'll see how the great Al Koran put together a card routine with his Miracle Blinfold Card Act.

You always learn from a Koran routine, IMO.
Reminds me of the Einstein quote..."Things should be as simple as possible, but no simpler".

Cheers.
Tom
Adam
View Profile
Regular user
UK
103 Posts

Profile of Adam
Quote:
On 2004-08-08 20:23, vaughan54 wrote:
Hi everyone,

What sources should I use to find some good card mentalism tricks and effects that really get the best reactions? Which DVDs, videos, books, etc., should I refer to, to get my assortment of mentalism tricks from.

Memorized-deck work, as some have suggested, can be put to excellent use. The forthcoming Mnemonica should have more than enough material to get you started. But an under-appreciated aspect of card-mentalism is definitely the ability to force a card convincingly and cleanly. The most sure-fire method would be a forcing deck (as used by Derren Brown and others), but a good Classic Force (uppercase letters intentional and deserved) is almost as good. The uses in mentalism are unlimited (almost).
jbum
View Profile
New user
Burbank
16 Posts

Profile of jbum
I like to use Tarot cards instead of regular playing cards. I use something like a memorized deck system that enables me to use both the minor and major arcana cards. (The minor arcana cards are like regular playing cards, and the major arcana cards are the ones like "Death" and "Justice".)

Since the cards have pictures on them, it creates a lot of ways you can get mental "impressions" of the card the user picks. It helps if you can memorize little details about all the images on a standard Rider-Waite deck.
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Denver
614 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
My effect called OutFoxed gives 5 members of the audience part of a deck .. they shuffle their packets and THINK of a card ... the performer reveals all 5 cards ... no sleight, math, charts, or memory work ...
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
520 Posts

Profile of Craig Crossman
Quote:
On 2004-08-09 07:56, bevbevvybev wrote:
If you are going to use cards, just make sure it appears

ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE

and has as little association to 'card tricks' as possible

1. No flashy moves
2. No 'shuffling'
3. No handling, or as little as possible by you
4. Involves events that do not appear in 'normal' card tricks

Very well said, Bev!

Mentalism with cards is my main thing. During my opening, I explain that magicians doing card tricks (pick a card, any card) do not leave a lasting impression primarily because spectators use the rationale that the trick was accomplished via some kind of sleight-of-hand or manipulation or digital dexterity. And they use that rationale as a type of mental crutch to dismiss away what they just saw.

But the effects I do with cards follow the guidelines you listed, and I make sure that is quite apparent to them. They are all very direct, slowly executed, simple and straightforward. So finding themselves without that mental crutch, they cannot dismiss away what they just saw. What they see me do really bothers them because it seems as you say, to be ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE.

The result is that they DO remember my performances for a very long time! Smile
Craig Chamberlain
View Profile
New user
Michigan, USA
49 Posts

Profile of Craig Chamberlain
The first routine in Rick Maue's Occam's Magic Sampler is titled "Defining The Difference" and its premise is exactly the topic being discussed here.

The patter begins: "Over the years many people have asked me to explain the difference between a magician and a mind reader. Allow me to demonstrate some of the finer points that separate the two."

It continues with a great presentation and stunning effect. The sampler is only $10 and includes other great routines and essays including an excellent card to wallet effect. For the stand-up performer especially, the sampler is definitely worth checking out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Some questions about card mentalism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL