The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Favorite Memorized Deck Trick (42 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
A new favorite is Sherlock from thé new Book In order to amaze by Pit Hartling.
ferryascanio
View Profile
Loyal user
Jakarta - Indonesia
264 Posts

Profile of ferryascanio
Anything by Simon Aronson ...
gogeta98
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of gogeta98
I've just recently relearned the Tamariz stack, and have really started putting it to use for the first time since I bought the book a decade ago. I do an ACAAN which utilizes techniques from Dani DaOrtiz, and it's really blown me away at how simple and clean it can be. I've tried Mnemonicosis twice, however, and spectators seem to really love it, even though my initial impression was that it wasn't such an impressive effect. People really love it, and they seem to find it even more impressive than ACAAN.
macc
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of macc
Test conditions and the invisible card. And i´m really looking forward to Pit Hartlings new book.
goochelen
View Profile
New user
Hexagonia
76 Posts

Profile of goochelen
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2016, Kjellstrom wrote:
A new favorite is Sherlock from thé new Book In order to amaze by Pit Hartling.

I don't know if this is the right forum to post this so in case it is not, I apologize.

I am in the process of Learning Mnemonica.

For the trick "Sherlock" I found a great way to practice.

I use the Software called Stackview (www.stackview.com) which allows me to simulate the setup of the trick and I can now easily train myself to get faster at identifying the selected card.
SamChak
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of SamChak
One of my favorite effects is Simon Aronson's The Invisible Card (Try the Impossible, 2001).

It's like performing the Invisible Deck using a regular deck. With just a little creativity, the effect can be transformed to Invisible A.C.A.A.N.

rbramati
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of rbramati
My favourite MD trick is Asi Wind A.C.A.A.N. It's real magic, really any card at really any number!!

if you can find a better A.C.A.A.N please tell me!!!
Mago Bramante
Prestigiatore & Mind Reader
www.ilmagoaroma.it
JassTan
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
105 Posts

Profile of JassTan
1) Zen Master - Darwin Ortiz
2) The luckiest cards in Las Vegas - Michael Close
3) Anything by Simon Aronson
Jerry Danes
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Jerry Danes
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2016, rbramati wrote:
My favourite MD trick is Asi Wind A.C.A.A.N. It's real magic, really any card at really any number!!

if you can find a better A.C.A.A.N please tell me!!!

Mike Vincent has a wonderful routine called A card and a number. It´s based on a routine from Al Baker.

Jerry
Jerry Danes
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Jerry Danes
Darwin Ortiz has published many excellent routines with a memorized deck. The are all extremely good and powerful.

Test your luck, Card sense, The Zen master, Billion dollar brain, Calculated risk, Case card, Sorcerer´s apprentice, Double Tap, The last laugh, Remote Control and The Quick and the dead, the last one uses the Si Stebbins setup.
AndreaMooreMagic
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of AndreaMooreMagic
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2016, Jerry Danes wrote:
Darwin Ortiz has published many excellent routines with a memorized deck. The are all extremely good and powerful.

Test your luck, Card sense, The Zen master, Billion dollar brain, Calculated risk, Case card, Sorcerer´s apprentice, Double Tap, The last laugh, Remote Control and The Quick and the dead, the last one uses the Si Stebbins setup.

I got into memorizing deck because of Darwin Ortiz, very strong magic.
these is the other 2 effects I perform apart from Darwin Ortiz work
Anything by Asi Wind
The Six-Hour Memorized Deck by Martin Joyal
Exitmat
View Profile
Special user
641 Posts

Profile of Exitmat
[quote]On Nov 14, 2016, AndreaMooreMagic wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2016, Jerry Danes wrote:
...Anything by Asi Wind

What is the effect?
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
The Asi Wind effect? Hard to describe. Smile
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
avasatu
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of avasatu
Shuffle-bored by Aronson, specifically my presentation of it. Smile
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I very rarely go into this section of The Café, but I've been interested in mem decks for a long time. I've been doing the 6 Hour Deck since it first came out. Anyway, here is a mem deck effect I put in my ebook Deep Thought:

WHERE’S THE REMOTE

THE WHAT: A spectator is given a deck of cards. You tell him to cut the deck anywhere and whatever card he cut’s to he is to deal that many piles until the deck runs
out. So if he cuts to a 5 then he deals five even piles until he runs out of cards.

The spectator cuts the deck and completes the cut... let’s say he cuts to an 8 of Clubs. You tell him to turn that card around again and then start dealing from left to right and make eight piles until he runs out of cards. When he does this you ask him to pick any pile up. He picks one. You have him look at the cards in his pile while you step away and, using your powers of remote viewing, you begin to call out all the cards he has in his hands... never making a mistake.

He can now pick up any other pile and you can do the same. Any and all piles he will pick up you can begin to call out the cards that he sees.

THE HOW: My friend, James Song, wanted to do such an effect, but wanted it to be untouched. He didn’t want to be seen handling the cards or taking a peek once the action had begun.
I solved the problem and ended up with a decent effect. The spectator gives you the peek.

Have a memorized deck of cards on hand. Walk up to a spectator as you casually false shuffle the deck. Put the deck down and have him cut to anywhere in the deck and complete the cut.
You tell him that the card he cut to will signify how many piles he is to deal out. In this case, we said he cut to the 8 of Clubs. He deals out the cards from left to right and we already know everything we need to know. I’ll use the Six Hour stack to explain this because that’s all I know.

I won’t be giving much away as you can actually see the picture of the stack on his book, but you still need the book to use his system to memorize it.
With the 8 of Clubs I know that it is my 41st card and, when he deals the eight piles, I know that the 42nd card now is in the second pile, the 43rd card in the third pile, so on and so on.
I also know that the cards in each pile are separated by 8 positions in their order. Do you follow the math here? Let’s say he points to the fifth pile from the left... I know that in that pile is the 45th card in my stack because I counted from left to right and I know that card is the 8 of Hearts.

Now when he picks up that pile I will add 8 to each card to get the next card in that pile so after the 45th card which is 8 of Hearts, I would add 8 and that gets me to the number 53... but there is no card numbered 53 so I subtract 52 and get one... I call out my first card the Jack of Hearts. I then add 8 to that and get to the 9th position so I call out my card there which is 9 of clubs... then I add another 8 and that gets me the 17th position and that is the Jack of Spades in that position. I continue this until his small fan runs out.

Do you see what has happened?

I’ll give you another example: He cuts to the Queen of Diamonds... that’s in the 29th position in my pack. Here’s something that can happen... if they cut to a court card you can give them the choice as to whether to count it as the position it is in a suit, such as a Queen is in the 12th position in any suit or as a ten the way blackjack players count it.

Whichever they pick they can deal out that many piles, but you must remember that number so you can added to all the positions in each pile.
In this case, let’s say, he decided to count the Queen as a ten so he deals, from left to right, ten piles. I know that the first pile contains the Queen of Diamonds (29th in my stack), the second pile contains the 30th card in my stack which is the 5 of Hearts, the third pile has the 31st card in my stack which is the King of Hearts, the fourth pile has my 32th card in the stack which is the 4 of Diamonds and so on.
He points to the sixth pile, from the left, and picks it up to look at the cards in it. I know that pile has the 34th card in my stack, which is the 3 of Hearts.

I start by calling out the 3 of Hearts and then add ten to its position to get me to the 44th card position which is Two of Diamonds and then I add ten to that which takes me to the 54rd position which doesn’t exist so I subtract 52 from 54 and get 2... that is the 6 of Clubs at the 2nd position in my stack.

Then I add ten to that position and now I’m at the 12th position and that’s the Ace of Spades... another ten gets me to the 22th position and that’s the 2 of Clubs. That ends that pile and all of its cards.
Of course, you realize that if the first card he cuts to is any Ace then you have to have him cut again because that counts as one and he won’t be able to deal out piles... but you could just start calling out the entire deck from there... I don’t think that’s as dramatic or clever.

I hope I’ve explained it enough that we are all on the same page. Try it with your memorized stack and you might see how it works when you do it.
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
325 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
Very cool! Thanks so much
goochelen
View Profile
New user
Hexagonia
76 Posts

Profile of goochelen
Great Trick "Greg Arce".
One question: How do you handle if the spectator cuts to a low value card, like a 2 or 3. Do you still ask them to make 2 or 3 piles of cards?
Just curious how you handle this Smile
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I've had that happen and I tell them they can keep that number or cut until they get to a higher one. For some reason it hasn't happened often. Oh, I have had people cut to an Ace or Court card and I tell them those cards are wild so they can decide to deal any number of piles up to ten.

One other thing that I forgot to mention in their original write up: When they finally have a pile they will use, as they pick it up, tell them to shuffle the pile so even they won't know what cards they have. It kind of doesn't make sense, but you don't want to be seen calling out cards in the exact order they are in.

Of course, I have done them in the exact order, but how I do it then is have them hold the pile facing them and just stare at the face card of the pile. Now I can call them in that order as they are just looking at one card at a time.

Your choice on how you want to present this.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Jefferson
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Jefferson
I love the sleight Asi Wind uses to get the named card to the selected number. However, I rarely hear the method that I prefer most mentioned anywhere and probably never performed. Here are the squeaky clean conditions.:
1. The spectators names any card
2. The spectator names ALMOST any number (does not feel forced by any mmeans
3. The spectator removes to the cards from the box
4. The selected card is at the selected number.

The magician never touches the cards. EVER.

More people should be doing this. I'll leave it up to the rest of you to search through your books to find the method. It is out there.
avasatu
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of avasatu
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2016, Jefferson wrote:
I love the sleight Asi Wind uses to get the named card to the selected number. However, I rarely hear the method that I prefer most mentioned anywhere and probably never performed. Here are the squeaky clean conditions.:
1. The spectators names any card
2. The spectator names ALMOST any number (does not feel forced by any mmeans
3. The spectator removes to the cards from the box
4. The selected card is at the selected number.

The magician never touches the cards. EVER.

More people should be doing this. I'll leave it up to the rest of you to search through your books to find the method. It is out there.

Do you have a video of this anywhere? Are you using stuff out of the Berglass effect book?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Favorite Memorized Deck Trick (42 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL