The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » CHILDREN MAGIC LISTS (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Kevin Vu
View Profile
New user
Renton,Wa
61 Posts

Profile of Kevin Vu
I was wondering what do YOU use for Children Shows? I'm having this past show in my head. When I was younger like three, four years younger. I did a small show BORED THE HECK OUT OF THE KIDs encluding the parents. MY act wasn't right at all! I was just working on staged and Adult shows. But besides that I'm trying to build up my confident and build up my tricks for children show.

My reasons are
1. I want to gain my confidence back to do another children show
2. Expand my supplies and types of shows
3. Have fun performing once agian

So If possible just put down a few tricks or some sort of gag down for CHILDREN SHOWS =) Thank you Very much to all that read and reply! Thank you once AgIAN!

Kevin Vu
Seattle, Washington
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I'm learning the hard way also. I learned a bit from someone who has being doing chidren's shows for 25 years that it takes three things to be good at children's shows.

1) Lots of color.
2) Group participation
3) Story telling.

You need at minimum two out of the three.

Right now, I'm learning how to be more and more ridiculous. When I see the adults in the crowd, I tend to direct my effects towards them (not my attention just my patter etc). I guess this will take time to break away from performing for adults.

My nickel;)
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
A good childrens show has a variety of comedy props, various Assitant interview techniques, lots of audience participation (where they actually doe the 'magic'), comedy one-liners, and a complete understanding of what the kids are going to say before they say it.

As many pros will tell you, entetaining kids is a skill, and one of the most difficult skills to learn. This is why I love KIDabra! so much. It is where hundreds of skilled children entertainers meet and discuss ways to enhance their children entertainment skills and learn new marketing techiques along with what is new for kids shows. There are several performance where one gets to see other children entertainers perform. (not to steal their act but to learn those skills mentioned above, assistant interviews, interactions with kids, comedy props, audience control, etc. (Also get really great stuff at the famous KIDabra auction.)

If one cannot attend, then one needs to work with a skilled performer so they learn these techniques. It is the only real and fast way to learn this skill.
Dennis Michael
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Kevin -

I found this thread for you, to start you off: Magic Café thread... Your top 3.

To find references to older threads, just use the index, which is the first thread pinned at the top of the little darlings section.

There are many other threads that cover the topic you are seeking, as well.

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
This is going to sound strange, but if I were you, I wouldn't go out and buy ANY effects just yet. Instead, find one or two books on the general entertainment of children. It sounds like you may be fairly accomplished in technique, but you need to better understand you audience. Only then will you be able to pick the right effects, build an effective routine, and develop an entertaining style.
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
yanyak5
View Profile
Regular user
Delaware
186 Posts

Profile of yanyak5
Tricks I use:

-Pizzadigitation (every kids magician should get this)
-Slush powder (3 cup monty)
-Linking rings
-Manipulation Act (Cards,Coins,Balls, etc..)
-Mouth coils
-Silk to Egg

Just make sure the concepts are easy to understand.

I do my shows in a very goofy matter. I usually just improvise my shows. I do however make sure I know my effects down pat. This is very important. Remember to have everything set to go before you start the show!

Be goofy a lot. This will keep their attention. Interact with them. Tell them to wave their hands and say the magic words which are oobladoobladoo or some weird word you make up. They will follow and actually do it. Then after you finish the effect, get everyone to clap and applaud. This will make them feel good that they accomplished something.

You can even play a game during your show. It doesn't have to be all magic. Just make sure you BECOME one of them. Be a KID with them, and they will love you.
Kevin Vu
View Profile
New user
Renton,Wa
61 Posts

Profile of Kevin Vu
EVERYONE!

Thank you so much! I read every bit of everyones posting. Magicman you are correct I tend to just work on skills and not enjoyment. I shall go out and WORK On IT! haha Got to find a person whos in the business humm.. I'll find one eventually! Thank you ALL ONCE AGIAN!

Kevin Vu
Seattle, Washington
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Kevin,
Steve Taylor is in your neck of the wood... Vancouver, WA. Don't know where that is in relation to you but if you could get to see him in action, you would learn a lot.
Dennis Michael
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Dennis -

Vancouver, WA is across the bridge from Portland, OR. Seattle is much further north. Smile

At one time or another, Steve used to host the Pacific Northwest FCM Conference in Seattle (and also followed it with one of his Komedy Kidshow Klinics), but they have now moved the Pacific Northwest FCM Conference further south, closer to Steve's home.

The 2004 PCAM Convention was just in Seattle, so there must be an active IBM Ring there.

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
First step is admiting you have a problem. It took me years to do that!

"Hi...my name is Nick and I've done dodgy children's parties"

The second step is to IGNORE the magic. The magic is NOT the important part. Is Run Rabbit Run strong magic? Heck No! But it is engaging and interesting for children!

Figure out what kid's want to see. These include

-Magician in trouble
- Children being hereos
- Seeing things you can't see
- Winning competitions and games (even if everyone is a winner)
- Being a star.

Now go back and figure out how to include these in your routines.
Kevin Vu
View Profile
New user
Renton,Wa
61 Posts

Profile of Kevin Vu
Once agian!
Thank you all! I'm getting really good information on this subject! Mr. Dennis Michael I will try my best to find a way to contact Steve Taylor or attend to one of his shows. Thanks agian everyone!

Kevin Vu
Seattle, Wa

P.S. Vancouver is a long ways, but If I have to go down there its worth it!
flowJuggler
View Profile
New user
East Coast USA
71 Posts

Profile of flowJuggler
I have a fun suggestion. Make a bunch of balloon animals and donate them to a child care facility. This gives you an excuse to be around children. While there, be goofy with the kids. Talk to them. Ask them questions. Maybe do ONE trick to throw in some variety. Spending time with kids, especially when there is no pressure to be entertaining, can teach you a lot about being natural and playful. These are two of the most important qualities.

-P
Ãœber goodest signature ever.
VarietyArtsBlog.com
Kevin Vu
View Profile
New user
Renton,Wa
61 Posts

Profile of Kevin Vu
Flowjuggler,

OH MY GOSH! hahaha GREAT IDEA! I don't do balloon animals. I should look into them! But thanks agian!

Kevin Vu
Seattle,WA
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Let me piggyback on what Den said. KIDabra is an outstanding forum dedicated to children entertainers! I only wish I could attend the conference.

I'm learning to not be a magician when I go to a show now. I just did a small show a few minutes ago for two children here in my office. I called it "Midnight Magic." I only brought a close up bag, acted goofy the whole time, did some balloon tricks, a few card tricks (yes I did:). It was a freebie but I felt I was getting better at storytelling and one liners.

I have to get in the mindset of doing more free shows. Sometimes I am exhausted setting up and packing up all my stuff. I feel more relaxed when the pressure is off.

Yanyak: Pizzadigitation certainly looks entertaining. Possibly takes the place of the Die Box?
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
The No1 important thing in a kids show, is everything has to be fun. if the kids are having fun they'll sit for hours, if not they'll get bored pretty quickly.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Quote:
On 2004-08-10 15:42, Vudoo wrote:
EVERYONE!

Thank you so much! I read every bit of everyones posting. Magicman you are correct I tend to just work on skills and not enjoyment. I shall go out and WORK On IT! haha Got to find a person whos in the business humm.. I'll find one eventually! Thank you ALL ONCE AGIAN!

Kevin Vu
Seattle, Washington

Kevin, I don't profess to know everything there is to know about children's entertainment, but I would be pleased to offer any suggestions and advice I can. Feel free to contact me at your convenience.

I'm sure you will get similar invitations from many other members on this site. Enjoy the magic!!
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
Kevin Vu
View Profile
New user
Renton,Wa
61 Posts

Profile of Kevin Vu
MagicMan,
Thank you once agian for your help!
Also to the rest!

Kevin Vu
Seattle,WA
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
456 Posts

Profile of scolman
Hi guys, I just joined the Café a couple of days ago. I haven't performed since I was a youngster myself. I am now 32 and have two kids of my own (5 and 6 yrs old). I just started dedicating serious time to magic again about six months ago and really thought that perhaps kids magic would be the way to go. I tried a couple of routines on my kids and although they were entertained I found them to be quite a tough audience. I now have doubts as to whether I should pursue the child magic avenue - or are my kids just being difficult because they're mine?
I was thinking about putting on a show at their kindergarten - is this a bad idea?
Thanks,
Simon
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Simon,

In many ways, performing for kids can be much more difficult than performing for adults. Adults think logically and can get easily thrown off track as a result. Also, adults have learned to be more conservative in what they say and do to others. They don't scream, yell or grab.

But there are also those who will opine that magic for kids is easier. The effects can be kept simple and direct, with little to no plot line. It also forces you to think like a kid - and that can be great fun in itself!

Don't give up so quickly on children's entertainment. Analyze your performance thoroughly to figure out why you got the reactions you did. Was it the patter? What about the presentational style? Was it the type of trick you performed? Was it when you performed? It is only through this type of navel gazing that you will improve as an entertainer.
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Professional Magic For Children
Kidbiz
Comedy Linking Rings
All Books by David Ginn
Kid Show How-2
Live Kidbiz
Magic They Love To See
Bag of Magic
Videos By David Ginn
http://www.ginnmagic.com

Kidology Video by Sammy Smith
Kiddie Patter & Little Feats Book By Sammy Smith
Birthday Magician's Handbook Available at Sammy's site
http://www.spsmagic.com

Kidstuff Volume 1-5 by Frances Marshall

If you don't know how learn from those that do.

Blooming Bouquet
Snake Can
Super Frog
Ali Bongo's Hat
Egg Bag
Vanishing Coke Bottle
Topsy Turvy Bottle (only on carpet unless they are older)
Chen Lee's Water Suspension
Hippity Hop Rabbits or
Die Box (but not both in same show)
I've performed all of those for kids to good effect.

Learn warm ups to get the show going. Learn one liners to use during your show. Make sure this fits with your character. What my pirate would say and Medicine Show character would say wouldn't be the same. Laughter Legacy by David Ginn and Creative Kidtalk by Ginn, Smith and Steve Taylor would also be a good investment for a children's entertainer.

Use tried and tested material. Learn it and perform it well. If you have to act and sound like someone else at the beginning so be it. Your character will eventually come into his own and it will be your presentation.

If you don't already know how, learn to do balloon animals and book a vending space at a local festival. Most you can book all the way up to the week of the event. Sell your creations for $1.00 each and get used to being around kids and interacting with them. It will do wonders for your performance skills. After all they are just people too.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » CHILDREN MAGIC LISTS (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL