The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » CHILDREN MAGIC LISTS (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
513 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
Pizzadigitation: Could someone tell me what this is? I know it probably a stupid question but I have never heard of it.
Thanks
Mike
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
<<<<In many ways, performing for kids can be much more difficult than performing for adults. Adults think logically and can get easily thrown off track as a result. Also, adults have learned to be more conservative in what they say and do to others. They don't scream, yell or grab. >>>>

Also if you accidently flash something an adult may notice it but not say anything, at the end they will still be impressed as they can't link what they saw with the end result. They do after all know it's only slight of hand and illusion. Kids on the other hand will shout out the moment they see something and call you a cheater because youre not doing real magic..

<<<<But there are also those who will opine that magic for kids is easier. The effects can be kept simple and direct, with little to no plot line. It also forces you to think like a kid - and that can be great fun in itself! >>>>

The tricks may be simpler with the routine directed more into the fun than the magic, but you also have to work a lot more on the audience control side. You have to be prepared for the questions, interrruptions, trouble makers, toddlers, granny with a camera, the audience slowly advancing into your space as the combination of excitment and slippery bum syndrome propells them slowly forward etc. All this combined is what makes entertaining children the hardest area of magic. Plus of course not only do you have to think like a kid, you have to be able to talk to them on their level without sounding patronising, a feat not all grown ups can do.

As an adult you know what makes you laugh, but with kids it's not so easy, often what you think they'll laugh at they wont, and then they'll fall to bits giggling over some obscure comment you make. This is why you cannot work up a routine on your own at home.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Go back and read Nick Johnson's posting from Australia. All the other advice good - but this is spot on!
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Smile
MaGiShN46
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of MaGiShN46
Where can I find this pizzadigitation. I cant see it no wherere
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I found it on line at http://www.ronjo.com
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Become a child to interact with a child.

Also watch and listen to what kids watch and listen too.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Hank Lee's Magic Factory has Pizzadigitation.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Isaiah
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Isaiah
I think it is important to start your show with something that is going to catch their attention. I start my show with a five-minute music display of productions. I then go into a short magic trick such as the coloring book. Going from one longer trick to a shorter trick will keep their attention span much easier then continuing with long drawn-out tricks. I know some people cringe on music magic with kids, but I have had nothing but success when it is my opener.

Magically,

Isaiah
Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
Key word: electrifying

Everything you say during the show has got to be said like it's the most important thing in the world.

Making faces when something goes wrong is just as important as something going wrong (on purpose, of course).
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
FYI: Glad this post got started! For what it is worth, let me just say that YOU MUST LIKE WORKING WITH KIDS AND MUST KNOW HOW TO GET ON THEIR LEVEL. If you don't like working and entertaining with kids, DON'T DO IT! I cannot count the number of times that I have heard someone say they hate kid shows but do them for the money. WRONG IDEA!

In order to present a professional, entertaining and fun show that children and their parents will enjoy, you MUST BE A KID PERFORMER otherwise you are only doing yourself and the client a dishonor.
Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
You're absolutely right about that.

The audience can tell if you're having fun or not.

And it's okay for you to have fun! As long as you are laughing with the audience not at them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » CHILDREN MAGIC LISTS (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL