The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Linking ropes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

el toro
View Profile
Veteran user
Across the atlantic
325 Posts

Profile of el toro
Do you use this routine, and if you do, have you found a way to switch the gimmicked rope with a non-gimmicked one? I think that would make the trick a real killer.
DrBob
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of DrBob
I assume you mean to switch it out after the illusion is complete. I do the trick, but have not thought about switching out the gimmicked rope. I use two volunteers to tie the other two ropes, and this alone seems to add all the credablity needed to the effect. Now, if you mean to do the trick with 3 non-gimmicked ropes...wow...let me know when you get that one working, you could make a fortune!
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
747 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
I use three ungimmicked ropes for the linking ropes. It works great! I found the routine at Stevens Magic Emporium. Try the following link:
http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=4396
All three pieces of ropes are thrown out and you ask the audience to throw one back (no force). You then say that you want the twp audience members holding the other two pieces of rope to tie a knot on the rope just as you are doing. You then ask for the other two and voila: thre linking ropes. I follow this up with handing out the three rings and having spectators untying them. I collect them and tie three loops throw them in the air and they become one big loop with three knots. I untie them and tie them up like I'm going to end the routine and begin to put them away. But then make a comment about the rope or something totally unrelated (depends on the group), wrap the ropes around my hand, throw the rope in the air, and now there is a one long rope. I actually have three sets prepared for this trick: one in white, one in red, and one in yellow. There is usually less of a perception of gimmicked ropes when they are white (since that is a more common color for ropes). I usually get a good response with this combination of tricks from 3 different sources.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Dario
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Dario
Do you get a good reaction with this from the public? Personally I don't find this trick very impressive. I think the effect is not very clear to the audience, as is a linking ring routine.

Darío
YVRDave
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
104 Posts

Profile of YVRDave
I have the Steven's ungimmicked routine as well as the gimmicked ones. I find the audience reacts better to the gimmicked ropes. I think they just don't get it with the ungimmicked routine.
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
I have never tried switching the gimmick with an ungimmicked one.

It's worth the try though...
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
The Linking Ropes with ungimmicked ropes was published years ago by a magician that I met in Texas. Unfortunately I do not recall his name. I do recall that he was restricted to a wheel chair... I think he attributed that to Spina Bifida. Anybody remember him or the routine? I do not know if the routine that Stevens sells (which is attributed to Dick Williams) is the same or not. I do know that the magician in the wheel chair fooled me very badly with it.
Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Howie Schwarzman has a great linking rope routine with ungimmicked ropes. The best mechanical version is Peter Goviczki's (marketed by Tenyo).
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
actorscotty
View Profile
Veteran user
wilmington nc
397 Posts

Profile of actorscotty
K, here we go. I do a routine using four ropes, start with two singles and two(well you know) count them separately, link one and toss the linked pair out, then toss the two singles out. ALL ROPES ARE IN THE AUDIENCE. Take back the two singles, do a faux link, unlink and mention they also link to other things.

MISDIRECTION AHEAD: hold one single up, reach into case with other hand, witch for gimmick and at the same time come out with a silk (with reel) drape the silk through the single in the right hand, snap fingers and the rope visibly drops off the silk, do a slow motion link of the two ropes and display them openly; retrieve the linked pair from the audience, and finish with a chain of 4four, finis. They have all been examined, etc. Hope someone likes this.

Oops, should have spell-checked. Sorry, guys.
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
Actorscotty: Your routine is brilliant! I purchased the linknig ropes, and used them in my FIRST show (when I was, like, 11 LoL). I never knew of any good routines with them other than link and unlink. If you're doing this routine, though, it's a steal! May I use your idea in my routine?

Daniel
If it is to be, it is up to me.
Tawkin2ya
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Tawkin2ya
In case anyone is interested, (and I think this might be the person Dennis was talking about), on page 11 of "New Concepts in Magic" by Aldini, he describes "Aldini's Ultimate Linking Ropes". It is a killer UNGIMMICKED linking rope effect. This MAY be the same as the Williamson routine, the book is still available from Mickey Hades for $10.75 USD.

Ray
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Linking ropes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL