The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Dakolta Chair (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
534 Posts

Profile of RSD
What are the performing conditions for the Dakolta Chair? How close can the audience be? What about surrounded? I assume the chair can also be used for a substitution?

Anyone have any experiences/stories with them?

Who is the bset manufacturer for them?

Thanks, sorry for all the questions.
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
As far as the performing conditions go, a lot depends on if you're using "extra equipment" to aid in the vanish. If not, and the traditional method is used in it's entirety, you'll have to perform it on a special stage. Or you can use a method that's in one of Paul Osborne's books...requires a little more stagecraft.

Generally speaking, the audience can be relatively close, but I still wouldn't do it right under their noses. I've never seen it done surrounded, but Rand Woodbury has a method for it, requiring a slightly different chair setup.

I've used three different DeKolta chair models. The first was a homemade and worked fairly well, especially considering what it was.

The second was made by a local builder and it held up great until I decided to upgrade to a Chalet. That has been, by far the best model.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
T.H.E.M. had one in a bar like setting and vanished a girl.

Cooperfield wanted to use the DeKolta Chair but couldn't think of a way to do it and make it fit his style until he came up with the attic scene which gave rise to an elevated stage and a perfect fit for that chair.
Dennis Michael
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Remember, even if they say that things are "just like the spectator sees it," T.H.E.M is on television, so you won't get the whole picture.

Copperfield's adaptation really didn't have a lot to do with making it fit his style. It had more to do with the requirements he was going to run into on the road, i.e. no t*** d***s.

But the idea was truly great. I think it was actually Johnny Gaughan's idea, if the truth be told.

It could be used for a substitution, but you would have to be careful.

Nobody I have seen in recent years does it as DeKolta actually did. He made the covering cloth disappear as well.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
I'm working with a designer that has come up with a totally different methodology for this effect. I don't know however, when I will be offering it.

Jack
Paul Arthur
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of Paul Arthur
Quote:
Nobody I have seen in recent years does it as DeKolta actually did. He made the covering cloth disappear as well.

As with the cover cloth disappearing, I always found his idea of the sheet of newspaper on the stage floor interesting.
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Quote:
On 2004-08-11 18:27, Jack Murray wrote:
I'm working with a designer that has come up with a totally different methodology for this effect. I don't know however, when I will be offering it.

Jack

Actually there are several variations already out there... Gary Darwin has one noted in his "Inexpensive Illusions" book and I believe Grant lists one in Victory Cartons... the list could probably go on a bit longer and include things as elaborate as Lee Grabel's "Above Stage Trapping System"...

THE KEY TO CREATING AN ILLUSIONS: Think of the impossible and work backwards from there!

In this case, you already have several variants to play with, just find out which one works best for you and your performance conditions.
GuySavoie
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
242 Posts

Profile of GuySavoie
Criss Angel did the DeKolta close up and surrounded at the WWE Underground Theater (to the extent that it was surrounded - people were seated from 2 o'clock to 10 o'clock around the "stage area." I was about 3 feet behind the chair and about 15 feet away.

It was performed flawlessly; there was nothing to see, or even hint at the vanish method. There was no impression of "hinging a bulky cloth" back over the chair, either.

--- Guy
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
The one that I perform is actually a Sneak-off method.

No traps or anything.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
spkrosky
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of spkrosky
Lance Burton uses it as a substitution effect -- in that he puts a duck in a box and a girl in the chair and then the next moment the duck is in the chair and the girl is in the box! I liked that one!
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Does anyone remember S&R doing it to make Roy a midget, then a duck, and finally vanish (at least, I *think* that was the sequence ... I saw it at the Frontier almost 20 years ago!)
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Quote:
On 2004-08-16 09:12, spkrosky wrote:
Lance Burton uses it as a substitution effect -- in that he puts a duck in a box and a girl in the chair and then the next moment the duck is in the chair and the girl is in the box! I liked that one!

Lance's original routine was a bit more fun (in my opinion)... he had a guy from the audience sit in the chair, covered him with the cloth and then proceeded to thrust a big knife into his skull... it was great!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Dominique, the French magician/pickpocket, created the duck appearing on the chair, and was really upset when S&R put it into their show.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

Profile of collective foundry
Smile We've got a new one as well. Hope to be offering it in early 2005.
David Goldrake
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
226 Posts

Profile of David Goldrake
Dear Bill,

Actually I have been using the vanishing cloth bit for quite a while in my version of the illusion.

Regards,

D
Dr.Maya Baalaamurugaan
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Dr.Maya Baalaamurugaan
I have done the dc method. It's a home made prop though, copying dc. It worked well for me in a semi circle condition.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Dakolta Chair (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL