The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Impaled (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
sandman
View Profile
New user
Texas
98 Posts

Profile of sandman
I don't know if anyone knows of this effect but they sale it at tillford magic. It is called impaled and the effect is that the magician is impaled with a sword sticking out of a large skull. The magician is laying on the sword. I think I saw David Copperfield do a version of this anyway I wanted to know where I could find plans to this or an illusion similar. Thanx
Sandman
PS if you find the actual illusion for cheap tell me to I just don't have 1000 dollars.thanx again
SANDMAN
Presentation is 99% of all magic
Paul Arthur
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of Paul Arthur
I would avoid building an Impaled yourself, as the pneumatics are very complicated and if done incorrectly, can be very dangerous for whoever is on the rig. I've seen this happen, it wasn't pretty.
This is not something you want to find cheap either... for the same reasons.
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
This is an illusion that you only want to have built by a top-notch, professional builder...and spend a LOT on it. It's very dangerous and if you don't have the money to invest in a quality model, either scrap the idea, or wait until you do.
alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
I have plan YOGANO " Impaled on a candle ".
Alex Krey
---------------------------
http://www.alexkrey.com
seanalexander
View Profile
Regular user
UK
194 Posts

Profile of seanalexander
I performed a version of this last year and my assistant hated it. I loved it but then again I wasn't on it!! Sandman, the guys are correct in saying be careful which one you get! We performed this in a production show and the dancers were placing my assistant on the sword and as they did one of them released the mechanism by accident with my partner HALF on it!!!!! As you can imagine this was not good! Not only did they ruin a fantastic Illusion, but Vanessa really could of damaged her back!! As for the dancers - not one apologized OR asked "are you ok"!! They all denied any part in it going wrong - blamed the illusion. Never again will I be so trusting to allow someone else to be so involved in an illusion like that.
Anyway have a browse on magic auction and http://www.magicweek.co.uk - you could place an ad in the wanted section for free!!
I got mine second hand in the UK for around £1500 and it was fine. Although it wasn't pneumatic or hydraulic, but still did a good job.
Good luck and be safe!
By the way there's a pic of vanessa on it on my website - it's on the home page!
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2004-08-11 15:13, sandman wrote:

PS if you find the actual illusion for cheap tell me to I just don't have 1000 dollars.thanx again
SANDMAN

From your post I got the impression that Impaled was selling for $1000. I was going to say that if that is the case, you had better stay away from it. Upon checking the web site I found it is in the $5500 range, which is a different matter.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Not only did I once own the original unit (built by the inventor Ken Whitaker, co-founder of Creative Illusions) I am also responsible for some of the more "up-dated" versions that have come along (in tandem with Ken, prior to his passing). That include Ayala's Torch Impalement and my own Water Fount Penetration.

Technically speaking I know of only two sources not directly tied to Kenny, [u]that has his permission[/u] to produce this piece: John Gaughan and Bill Smith (and possibly Mendoza... that's a bit of a foggy issue however.) I do know for fact that you cannot build a SAFE version of this illusion for less than $1,500.00 (builder's cost), let alone buy a new one at that price. Brand new, low end you are talking around $5,000.00 to $8,500.00 in most cases. There are some versions that use a mechanical set-up vs. the pnuematic method, that are less expensive for not nearly as awesome as the original concept.

DO NOT BUY MAGIC from anyone that has an established reputation for selling low-end KNOCK OFFS and especially those who have no LEGAL PERMISSION to do so. Especially when you are dealing with an illusion system that can result in physical injury to the person working it. Back injuries are not uncommon when it comes to this system, so do be aware that it's not something you can just "play with" -- it's a serious piece of business and demands that you not take half-meassures.

Best of luck!
Midnight333
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Midnight333
Alright. I have a hard time believing that I cannot, with proper permission and education, build one of these myself. I mean those who produce it commercially had to learn somewhere. So, are plans available or what?
alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
The plan of this illusion many of members of it have Café! Only everyone speak about ethics. Search for the plan of this illusion for search sites of Italy!
Alex Krey
Midnight333
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Midnight333
Alright! Somebody tell me. I will pay the royalties, and the rights and all the other stuff.. just point me in the direction of where to look or who to talk to. Thanks.
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Owenmagic.com
tpdmagic
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of tpdmagic
This is crazy, Several people have made good points. This is a profesional prop that needs to be built by a top notch builder. This illusion takes a lot of work to perform, it is not easy on the magician, the assistant. It is pysicaly demanding. Please consider what others have said in regards to buy from a builder that has rights to build it. You will get the rights to perform it plus you will get a top notch prop. I have a friend(most of you know his name) that took him over 6 months to put this in his show. That much rehersal and preperation involved. So please keep all these things in mind.

tpdmagic
spkrosky
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of spkrosky
You will pay the royalties? Performing rights alone on illusions such as these are around $1500, much less the actual prop, which, sorry to shatter anyone's personal illusions, is not an Andrew Mayne "Build in your driveway with some old 2x4s" piece!
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Not everything out there is available to you just by paying performance rights.

I can assure you will not be able to build you own Origami and simply pay $1500 to Steinmeyer.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Well I doubt that. It depends on your capability as a machinist or carpenter..... If Steinmeyer said yes and said here are the plans...I think there are some people that can do justice with that piece...

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Well I have talked to Steinmeyer about this and if you want one you will need to go to Wellington or Gaughan. The plans are NOT for sale.

Just my $.02

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Living Illusion I miss read what you said. I do apolgize. I read it as that you where saying NO one would be able to build the illusion and make justice of the Illusion. Which I belive that there are people out there that are crafty and can do it if the plans where public domain. Sorry for the mix up.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
In Russia there are many very good masters!
Alex Krey
Midnight333
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Midnight333
Ugh! I cant belive all these people say that no one has the capacity to learn how to build this thing. I mean a boat builder would never be able to build a boat if he was constantly told that "it is impossible and you should just buy one". That boat builder learned how to make on.. and no one as far as I can tell was born with the skill or knowledge to be an illusion designer or builder. Perhapse I'll just improve on the whole idea, patent my design and then get my panties in a wad about the whole thing... You know people should be encouraged. I thought that's this is what this forum was about. And why do these people feel the need to be so uptight? What personal trauma have they suffered to form these defeatist opinions. Any way.. I'll let the rest of you argue about all this junk. Im going to put my mind to better use.
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
There is a lot to be considered with impaled. First off it is actually dangerous to your health to perform (many other pope, can elaborate further). Becuase of that people are understandably tellling you that it is an illusion that requires a truly skilled hand to construct. I'm sure many poep, could build it...building it safely is another matter altogether. Given time I'm sure many more people could build it safely, but why? By the time you spend money and time getting the building rights, and paying royalties gallore, not to mention R&D time, you could have had a quality prop that already has those things in it. We don't mean to "discourage" anyone, we are generally realists. And what is truly encouraged here is new ideas and creativity...if you come up with your own method and design, all the more power to you. Please just tread lightly when dealing with other people's intellectual property. Just becuase you know how to build it, does not give you the right to. Just my 2/100 of a dollar.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Impaled (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL