The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Practicing magic while driving » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
There have been several posts on the café that have implied or outright stated that a good place to practice palming is while driving.

Let me start my dissertation by stating that I know I am more safety conscious than most. The Navy trains us to be that way and I make no apologies for it.

If while driving is a good time to practice palming then while cutting the grass would be a better time. As would while chopping firewood. At least if your attention is diverted while performing these activities the only person you are likely to hurt is yourself.

And make no mistake, if you are still in the “practicing” stage of palming your attention WILL be diverted. You’re going to drop that coin (or card) and think it will only take a second to retrieve it. Well a second is all it will take to kill someone.

If you have recommended this practice you are wrong for doing so and I would hope you would take this opportunity to say as much. You may be omniscient behind the wheel, but those taking your advice might be mere mortals.

If you are participating in this practice because you are one of the ones it doesn’t happen to, I guess all I can say is I hope it doesn’t happen to you.

"Safety represents the wise choice of many alternatives." Smile
Yakworld.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I couldn't agree more heartily. Practice while taking public transportation or while a passenger, but NEVER when at the wheel of motorized vehicle--or even the handlebars of a non-motorized vehicle!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Remember kids!

Don't palm & drive

Smile This message was brought to you by the dancing banana
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Hey! I'm being serious here! (Well I was. Smile)

Ichazod, you just earned yourself a time out little mister. And leave your sponge balls on the table this time.

Don't make me use my Borg lazer-eye thingy. Smile
Yakworld.
donaldlaporte
View Profile
New user
new hampshire
46 Posts

Profile of donaldlaporte
the problem here is that Michael Ammar is telling people on his tapes/dvd to actually do that.

don Smile
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Practicing magic while driving. I was going to say something humorous, but decided against it..my dad would not have liked that since he used to teach a DOT Defensive Driving class. I think this would fall under the category of Inattentive Driving..same as talking on the phone. I don't know about anyone else's state, but Arkansas has a law on Inattentive Driving. Anything that takes your mind off of the road, is just plain wrong. Even if it's just practing palming...what happens if you drop the coin? How many will just leave it until they come to a stop, or how many will begin to search for it immediately? I will admit to doing my fair share of inattentive driving, in fact probably more than my fair share, but I try not to go out of my way to be inattentive.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4071 Posts

I was being totally serious! I learned personally when I first started out about palming while driving.

If you drop what your palming, the tendency is to want to pick it up immediately.

I had an experience when I first started out with a magic friend showing me two handed flourishes while driving (trying to drive anyway).

No palming for me, the most I might do is practice backpalming at stop lights.

Smile Smile Smile Smile

Thanx,

Ichazod

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Good Point, I was at an accident one time where it was a pickup vs. a car and in the car was a magician who was going over a card routine in route to a show he was doing. Needless to say there were doves flying all over the place in his car, along with a white rabbit that would bite anyone who came near it. Please people use common sense and practice in front of a mirror, and NOT your rearview !!!! Smile Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Dan Magyari
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco, CA
173 Posts

Profile of Dan Magyari
As long as people can change the stations on their radio, fiddle with cassettes or cds, make cell phone calls, eat and drink, discipline children, have conversations with other people, have pets running loose (this list could probably go on and on), all while driving an automobile, I personally don't think practicing some type of repetitive sleight would be any less disruptive to one's concentration.

If we were really so concerned with safety on the road, wouldn't we make it illegal to do anything but drive the darn car?

Happy practicing!

Dan Magyari
Everything you do -- everything -- has your signature on it. Regardless of whether you intend it that way or not. And that's how people perceive you.-George Ledo
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Dan,

Welcome to the cafe. Smile Smile (Steve could we get an angry wavey guy?)

Quote:

On 2001-11-30 17:38, Margarette wrote:

I don’t know about anyone else’s state, but Arkansas has a law on Inattentive Driving.

Margarette

And New York just passed a law prohibiting talking on a cell phone while driving. I think the lawmakers assume a certain degree of common sense will be taken by persons to ensure their own safety. Rewiring your toaster while in the tub isn’t against the law but that doesn’t mean it’s a smart thing to do.

And I think you completely missed the point of my post. I know people are going to practice palming while driving. They use the same rationale as a drunk driver to convince themselves that they are not stupid (I’m a more attentive driver when I’m palming.). Only when they injure themselves or someone else will they get the point (some not even then).

I think it is wrong for magicians, professional or otherwise, to encourage other magicians to do something that is inherently dangerous (and stupid).

I respect your opinion and I can’t stop you from from playing in the street. Just please don’t tell my kids it’s allright.
Yakworld.
Dan Magyari
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco, CA
173 Posts

Profile of Dan Magyari
yakandjak and other posters, please accept my apologies. I can now see that an attempt at facetiousness on one's first post (especially a reply to someone else's post is not the wisest course of action). So, for this, I apologize.

I spoke to my wife over dinner about my posting as well, and she concurs with you that I'm an idiot.

Please know that I agree with you completely yakandjak. I would never want to endanger myself, loved ones or those I don't know while traveling in a moving vehicle.

I was simply trying to say that the use of common sense is something that is lacking quite often on our roads and the apparently simple actions taken while at the wheel of an auto are often at odds with our safety and the safety of others.

If I am allowed to continue to post after my first travesty on this board, I hope that my common sense in board etiquette improves as well.

Best!

Dan Magyari

P.S. yakandjak, I've enjoyed your other postings on this board and look forward to those in the future.
Everything you do -- everything -- has your signature on it. Regardless of whether you intend it that way or not. And that's how people perceive you.-George Ledo
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
No apologies are neccessary Dan. I think everyone here appreciates it when people are frank and speak their minds.

And you are correct, had I known you better (your personality from previous posts) perhaps I would have interpreted your comments differently. Sarcasm is often a tough thing to read, especially with someone you've never met. A great example is Ichazod's first post in this same thread. I knew that he wasn't making light of my comments but rather found a funny way to echo my sentiments. 'Cuz that's how he is.

And a carefully placed emoticon (is that what those things are called?) can often help others know how you wish to be interpreted. (Like this one here Smile by which I imply, "Man I'm cool. Have you seen my floating goat effect?")

I do appreciate you clarifying your comments but don't beat yourself up about it. My wife thinks I'm an idiot too.

I think I agree.
Yakworld.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Aside from the safety issues involved with the idea of practicing sleight-of-hand while driving, I just can't see the practicality or value of such limited practice conditions.

For me it would be impossible to get in any useful practice AND conduct my usual drive-time activities, such as talking on the phone and/or eating fast food... except on longer night drives when I'm usually sleeping. So it only makes sense to save my sleight-of-hand practice for times when I can give it my full attention, such as when I'm sitting in traffic school.

Regards,

Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Yakandjak--

MY wife thinks you're an idiot, too! Smile Smile
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
See Dan. Here's another good example. I know Mr. W...I mean...the Tominator is only kidding because I've already jumped his @!&% in the past (isn't that a Jay Sankey trick?). I further know that he reserves his smiley faces for occasions when he thinks the author of the post he's replying to is a little unstable. Which doesn't explain why he didn't use one here but that's not the point.

The point is...actually I've forgotten the point. I'm still thinking about Margarette's shoes. Smile Smile Smile

Hey Tom. Meet me out behind the willow tree after school. Me an' my boys wanna show you somethin'. <kapowie!> Smile
Yakworld.
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Hey I resemble that remark.

I may be stupid but I'm ugly too.

Here's one for you too big boy...

<socko!> Smile

Anyone else wanting a piece a me?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Margarette? Smile Smile Smile
Yakworld.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4071 Posts

I would like a piece with a side of french fries Smile

mmmmmmmmmm..... Smile
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
<bip!> Smile There's yours tough guy. And a side of <bap!> Smile fries. Oh, gotcha in the nose with that one, eh?

Anyone else feeling not so smart today? Huh? Dead Ranger? Wanna be the Dead and Buried Ranger, sizzle-chest?

(I bet you'll all be glad when I start working more.)

Alright, has anyone NOT seen my goat float? Smile
Yakworld.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
A glass of rootbeer and two scoops of goat.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Smile Smile Smile

You a funny, funny man.

<shawack!> Smile I think I owed you that one.

You know, in all seriousness, I don't think this is the thread for this kind of levity. But whatever floats your goat.
Yakworld.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Practicing magic while driving » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL