The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Penguins Slydini Silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Tobias,

The Charlie Miller handling for the Seven corner Hank is fantastic. Billy McComb also has some touches worth consideration. Mr. Mccomb's presentation is fantastic as well. I'm pretty sure the whole mess is in his book "25 Years Wiser" and on the "Billy McComb Greater Magic Presents" video from Steven's.

It is a great trick, and even better very few people do it.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
Danny - For something which seems so innocuous in print, it *really* gets an amazing response from people. I'll look up McComb's handling when I have a little more cash (read: when season starts again Smile)

Frankly, I blame Messers Miller and Bauer for making me pull my tuxedo pocket squares out of storage. Darn them! Darn them to heck!

Posted: Jan 7, 2005 5:26pm
---------------------------------------------------------
Getting back to the actual topic - got the Penguin Silks in the mail. They're... ok. Nylon, clearly, with a flat hem rather than the rolled hem I have in the aforementioned pocket squares (Men's Wearhouse, about $7 for an 18" square in a wide variety of colors). I notice that the nylon 'binds' faster and harder than silk when making the s**p k**ts, so that might be a concern if you're used to being all macho tying them together - especially in something like the Seven Cornered Hank where you want things to work more one-handedly than in a Slydini-like routine.

My evaluation: They're good 'knockaround's - nylon is durable and is easier to keep 'white' than white silk, so if you're working in semi-toxic environments where keeping your stuff clean is a challenge, that's something to consider. My chief concern right now is the hems. In the video you'll see that the instructor's silks have already begun to fray a bit at the ends, but that may be indicative of how much muscle he's using in some phases of the routine.
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1737 Posts

Profile of wally
I have gotten the Bill Malone DVD on Sly Silks. But I wish I had info on Tony Clark's traveling knot. Have I got to buy Tony's DVD to know? I will trade Jeff McBride's vol 1 DVD on world class manipulation. I live in UK.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11992 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2004-09-03 02:17, Daniel Faith wrote:
Your tugging on the wrong ends and it's not breaking loose the knot.
Pay attention to the thread.
Also note wheather the person tied a square or granny knot.

I find that no matter which kind of know I tie (granny or square) as long as I pull on the right ends it upsets the knot. Do you all find this as well?

I perfrom the effect and that's the way it works for me. I don't see any difference in the granny or square knot as long as the correct ends are tightened.

John

Quote:
On 2005-01-04 18:44, mplegare wrote:
... for that matter, you might want to check out Ron Bauer's "Left Handed Handkerchief" booklet for a significantly easier to tie and less suspicious-looking s**p k**t as part of his handling of Charlie Miller's "Seven Cornered Hank". It works brilliantly for suddenly dissolving knots.

And of course, op cit Tarbell (which volume again?) for dissolving knots etc.

The left handed hank is also a great walkaround effect. I use it all the time and as it's silly it still fools 'em.

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13383 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Hey, I'm left handed. Tell me more about this effect.

There's also the routine... 4 hanks and a knot? or whatever it's called.

Does anyone use that one? I'm looking for a nice colorful silks effect
for strolling, the street, etc.

Thanks,
Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11992 Posts

Profile of John C
4 squares and a knot is a simple two silk sympathetic silk routine. It comes from Ron Bauer and has patter. I don't use it I use the Billy Bishop 3 silk routine. It's a classic.

Left handed silk is a funny bit with one silk you tell the story about a left handed silk. The knot never works tied the wrong way. It's cool. Also Ron Bauer.

Worth buying.

JC
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Dick Barry has a left handed hank bit of business which is hilarious.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Penguins Slydini Silks (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL