The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Big and the Small » » Miniature Card Effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Zedd: What is the result of the "Douglas Brewer effect" ? Can you describe it a bit ?

DVA: Can you Please describe the Kostya Kimlat routine a bit also ?

TIA - Nicodemus
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
Great Domino
View Profile
Special user
Canada
538 Posts

Profile of Great Domino
I use them for David Regal's "Lucky Seven".
Fayaad Manie
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of Fayaad Manie
How about Jay Sankey's effect 'Parallel worlds'. It uses minitare cards in an interesting way.
Zedd
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
264 Posts

Profile of Zedd
The 'Brewer-Effect':
Spectator takes a card out of the Mini-Deck. The Perormer takes three Jokers out of a 'normal' deck and the Spectator chooses one of the three - and "of course" it changes to the same card out of the Mini-deck!!
A GREAT effect, but you have to use a memorized deck!
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
I devised a trick that used a regular deck and a single mini card so that the mini card could be given away at the end. It turned out to be a good effect for the birthday person at a table, for instance. Basically, a regular card is chosen from a regular deck. The entire deck shrinks to miniature (so the the magician can look over all the cards more easily) one mini card is removed, and the deck re-enlarged. As I said, it does not use the small deck, just one card.

It's in "Deceptions in Paradise" by Jerry Mentzer, which is virtually out of print, (that only took 8 years, sheesh) although you can find it around if you look.

Along similar lines is "The Bantam Weight Card" from Roger Klause in Concert. And something by Richard Kaufman in one of the symposium books. These are all very practical and surprisingly effective.

And, in another, more commercial thread, you'll find a description of what I consider the only mini card effect that isn't "cute". The Rat Pack, done with a mini deck. See http://www.themagicbakery.com.

Paul, I think that terrific Tommy Wonder effect is called "Squeeze".
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2820 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
There's a routine of mine in Paul Harris' A Close Up Kinda Guy called "Mike's Dwarf." A "normal" deck shrinks to a mini. It's very easy and effective.

Mike
Bananafish
View Profile
Elite user
Simon Shaw, Suffolk, England
416 Posts

Profile of Bananafish
Michael Close has a routine called "The Lie Detector" on his Worker series of DVD's that is (IMO) a real killer. It incidentally culminates in the use of a well placed minature card.

And in case you are interested, these set DVD's are a some of the best value for money DVD's I have. They are absolutely packed with really strong magic...
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Curtis: What is the latest shipping info for The Rat Pack ? And how many times have you been whacked in attempting this stunt ? ;-}

Nicodemus
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3357 Posts

Profile of Julie
If you like to search through"olde" manuscripts, "Miniature Card Magic" by "Hen" Fetsch with additions by Lloyd E. Jones (copyright 1943) has several ideas.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Nico, that info is classified. Not available here, but all revealed through the DVD thread over at the "Good, Bad and Garbage".

I will assure you that when I was whacked, it was before the "Palms of Steel" DVD's were shot. So no permanent damage, at least, not to me.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Bball5630
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Bball5630
David Regal's Lucky Seven on the Hit the Road DVD.
doowopper
View Profile
Elite user
491 Posts

Profile of doowopper
Sometimes I use a mini deck for any routine I typically do with a regular deck. So far I have used it only in casual situations for family and friends. At first I thought people would get turned off by a mini deck or assume the cards are easier to manipulate than a regular deck. I was surprised to discover that most people often are intrigued and interested in seeing magic with a mini deck and assume it is harder to do magic with a mini deck than a regular deck.
Richard
MischiefMagicX
View Profile
New user
Albany, NY
48 Posts

Profile of MischiefMagicX
This isn't a trick, its just a gag, but I saw the Amazing Jonathan do it. You pick a mini card and show it around, then he says "okay now put it back in the deck" and you go to put it back in a regular sized pack (gets a laugh) then you shuffle the deck and proceed to find it. You look through the normal sized cards...no, no, no, no....get to the small one...pause....then throw it to the side and shake your head. Pretty funny stuff.

*NOTE: Jonathan uses a regular sized card and a jumbo deck.*
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary..."
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
1961 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
I have had very good luck with parallel worlds by Sankey.
The idea bove seems funny.
Might be a good idea to force the mini card to match you Svengali deck then after numerous attempts show your Svengali matches Smile
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3327 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
What about a mini Invisible Deck.? Jerry O'Connell sells one in a made-to-measure leather case! You could 'appear' it as someone hands you back the "Invisible" deck that they have just reversed a card in!
MerlH
View Profile
Loyal user
Carolina Shores, N.C.
272 Posts

Profile of MerlH
Make up an invisible deck from mini bicycles you can buy at any store like K-mart. They are easy to carry in your pocket for an imprompto performace.
Merl Hamen Old dog-- New tricks
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3357 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2004-08-17 09:35, Rennie wrote:
Buy the book Miniature Mysteries with Cards by Barbi Walker, deals entirely with mini decks. Byron Walker should have have copies available or know where some are.
Rennie

This is a great reference book (if you can find it) because it is a compilation of effects from many different sources. The list of "contributors" reads like a Who's Who from Magic's past golden creative era.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
1961 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
KMART sells mini decks?
magicman03
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of magicman03
How does Jay sankeys effect where a folded card is located in a miniature deck, and a mini card is found in a normal deck, work for everyone?
Ryan 101
View Profile
Regular user
Hawaii
164 Posts

Profile of Ryan 101
Diminish and Return is a good trick with small cards.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Big and the Small » » Miniature Card Effects (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL