The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cold Reading (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
chrispa1
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of chrispa1
What is the best Cold Reading Book?
bluefred
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of bluefred
That's a good question? I don't know which is the "best" but I have some favorites like king of the cold reders by bascon jones ,the full fact book of cold reading by ian rowland , the dance by brad henderson and some articles from the oort magazine by philemon vanderbeck these are some of mi personal favorites but I think that all the books in CR have something to offer a diferent tool for a diferent work.just mi oppinion.
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
If you're just starting out, try Lee Earle's Classic Reading. I made thousands with it.

Best,
JS.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
The Dance by Brad Henderson is an excellent book. Get this alongside the Full Facts Book by Ian Rowland and you would want for little more.
Mystery
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Mystery
I hear so many great things about Brad's book.
Didn't buy it yet, though. I've read Herb Dewey, Nelson, Webster, Rowland, Waters and Cassidy.
If I were sure that there still is much to learn, I would probably go for it...
Ah, perhaps one day...
Let your dreams tear apart your life, before your life tears apart your dreams...
Steve Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Martin
Chrispa1, is that question phrased so as to get the answer out of me, so that you can pretend you already knew it?
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein
Bambaladam
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Bambaladam
chrispa1
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of chrispa1
Lol I am not psychic, so I know nothing. Thanks everyone and procyonrising I will check out Classic Reading. Does anyone know where I can get this?
Matt Andrews
View Profile
Loyal user
Switzerland
219 Posts

Profile of Matt Andrews
As a beginner in the field of mentalism (reading Corinda, Anneman and watching Osterlind and Banachek), which book or video would you recommend to learn cold reading ? I was considering getting Ian Rowland's book, but it might be just too much for a beginner.

The "best" book on cold readings is not necessary a book for beginners.

I also heard a good review on Blair Robertson DVD (Master Mystifier here on the café), which is more on numerology.

So any advice will be extremely appreciated.

Matt
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of chrispa1
Matt I guess I am in the same boat as you, I have Theater of the mind, and 13 steps to mentalism along with Banachek's PSI and Osterlind's DVD's all VOl 1.

What is the next step?

Thanks
Bambaladam
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Bambaladam
Get the DVD Matt Andrews mentioned. It is the best beginner's source I have ever seen.

/Bamba
chrispa1
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of chrispa1
Thanks Bamba
Laughing Otter
View Profile
Loyal user
Behind you!
205 Posts

Profile of Laughing Otter
Chrispa1, most of my cold reading texts are very old. My favorites are from Robert Nelson and Hester & Hudson.
For a fun way to pick up some practical applications, read a few Sherlock Holmes titles. Seriously.
If you want to study the topic in depth, I would strongly recommend Jung's "Man and His Symbols". This will help you translate what you cold read into what is relevant to your audience and what they want to hear.
Bambaladam
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Bambaladam
I think Laughing Otter's suggestions are good as well.

It is important to find a way to stay awake and really LISTEN. This isn't easy to do with contempt for the sitter (Rowland) or canned scripts.

Brad's book is also excellent.

/Bamba
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1255 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
The Dance is really excellent. Brad goes into some good techniques, but I found it most invaluable for his philosophy on readings, and his expert view on the psychological aspects. Highly recommended.

Don't be put off by people who bash Rowland's book either. Full Facts is easily the most encyclopedic resource around, and it is excellent. Ian lays out all the minute details of the reading framework. (Yes, he writes with doses of humor and skepticism, but when people start claiming that ramshackle pamphlets like "Quick and Effective Cold Reading" are better books on the art, you just KNOW it's about personal grudges!)

Go to books and other resources for information. Your attitudes and feelings are your own responsibility.

Seth
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1418 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Why don't you ask some of the authors of cold reading books what they think of Quick and Effective Cold Readings. Richard Webster hardly does anything even close to "ramshackle".

And really, no "grudge" on my part.

Peace,

John
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1255 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Okay, I'm up to the challenge. Does Brad Henderson count as a cold reading author? He has said that Ian Rowland is a great guy, and that Full Facts is a great book which complements his own. He's said Ian's is on the "craft" of CR while The Dance is on the "art". I agree. And of course, quotes from many other pros in the field such as Derren Brown, Banachek and others, can be found Here!

And, okay, perhaps "ramshackle" was a hard word. It isn't trash, but c'mon, give both books to a neutral person (who hasn't heard of Ian or Richard) and you really think he'll say that "Full Facts" blows and "Quick & Effective" rules? I'm not trying to pick a fight, but <giggle> I honestly can't fathom that.

I love all of Richard's shut-eye books you can buy at the bookstore. They're comprehensive, detailed and reasonably priced. By comparison, I felt Q&E was vastly inferior. (And I realize I may be the only one to feel that way, as surprising as that is.)

And in all honesty, I should say that Q&E is the only one of Richard's cold-reading books for the fraternity that I've seen, so obviously I can't say anything about the others.

I know Richard's something of a sacred cow, but I'm not knocking Richard. I am knocking ONE book that he wrote a long time ago, and that is my opinion.

Peace back at you! Smile

Seth
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1418 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Hi Seth, Ian's book is awesome and so is The Dance. If you didn't like Richard's Quick and Easy... that's all right. Cold Reading is kind of a reactive topic. It affects people differently. To have it done, and like on here, talking about it.

Years ago, I once owned Red Hot Cold Reading, and got nothing out of it. I'm looking at the whole concept differently now. Lee Earle's The Gentle Art Of Cold Reading is a wonderful approach and study of the practice. He has blazed new trails in this field and then some. I do recommend his work, a lot of heart and soul there.

So styles will vary and so will preferences. I hope one day to read your book on this, Seth. After reading your posts, it is easy to see you you do have Spark! ;-)

Thanks for the Posts.

Sincerely,

John
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1255 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Hey John,

Thanks! What a nice post. Man, now I feel bad about knocking Quick & Effective. I promise I'll take another look at it. I do know CR books can affect one differently after some time has passed.

And I think you're right. CR is one of the most divisive topics in this forum; I should be a bit more careful what I say! I'll have to check out "The Gentle Art of Cold Reading". Does this update "The Classic Reading" quite a bit?

Take care,

Seth
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1418 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Thanks Seth,

This has been a very "enlightening" experience here for the "both" of us. I just received some "inspiring" messages from "some special" people due to our posts to each other.

Yes, Lee Earle has updated his previous work. It is beautiful! I tried it out at a Resort/Spa where I work earlier tonight, with several ladies. And the results were beyond what I could have expected. "I felt like a kid hitting a grand slam home run in the big leagues, in my first at bat" ! LOL

Thanks for "your" message Seth, and keep smiling, especially when doing "Cold Readings"! Smile

All The Best,

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cold Reading (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL