The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Question RE: prerecorded vent tapes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2629 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
I don't do any vent, but the Axtell birds look great and I think would be great for kids. when using one of Axtell's tapes, is the effect lessened because the bird's voice is coming from the recorder?

s
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Tapes are no good. Here are my reasons from another thread.

a) they don't allow for children to interject and be part of the show. Children always try and talk to the puppet in my shows and, when I tried tapes, the puppet ignored the kids!

b) I'm Australian and I don't want to subject kids to a cheesy american accent! (sorry Yanks!)

c) I'm Australian and I don't want to subject to cheesy American puns! (sorry again!)

d) The tapes don't allow ME to add to the act.

e) They require tech set up that, if not done in a clever way, looks like your a just playing a tape. (I do like the axtell drawing lesson idea which explains the tape)

f) As others have said, it shows you up as UNTALENTED!

I'm a semi vent in that I have the basic skills but I would never sell myself as a vent because, frankly, I don't think I'm good enough. I use the drawing board and the face talks etc. but not as much as a vent might make him talk. But I add new jokes all the time.

Phew....I need a gottle of geer.
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
On the other hand, I use prerecorded Axtell Axtracks for Vern and the magic drawing board and I don't vent at all. You would be surprised how many in the audience actually believe I am venting. First off, I use a PA system so both our voices come out over the speakers. I don't feel anyone thinks I have no talent because it's recorded as no one really knows it is recorded. The skits are VERY entertaining and loved by all. It takes ALOT of practice to get the timing down and it took hours and hours of practice to get some puppetry skills that I thought would be easy. It wasn't. The above poster is correct though, the tapes do allow for some laughter but sometimes it's not enough. Sometime the bird steps on the audience. I believe I have come up with a solution. I use a laptop in my shows. It is connected to my PA system. I am thinking about using PowerPoint for my Axtell skits. Each line spoken by the bird or the Magic Board would be recorded separately on it's own wav file using sound recorder. Each wav file would be set to play in 1 slide of the presentation. I can use a wireless remote control to advance Powerpoint to the next slide. Basically, the bird won't talk until I tell him to. This way, I can control the timing of the skit and allow audiences to laugh as long as they want. I haven't tried it yet as I just thought of it, but it would provide the solution to a problem I have. Some audiences laugh harder and longer than others, it's different every show. This way, I control EVERYTHING!
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Why noit spend the time learning vent?
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
578 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
I started with Vern and the AxTrax recording, but I found it was extremely tedious to try to time the puppet's movement to the tape. I also worried about problems of timing if there is longer laughter, or no laughter. There's no way to compensate. I decided to take the time to learn ventriloquism so I'd be in control. I'm very happy that I did because it's a lot of fun and the audiences love it.

Oliver
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
I use the tapes most of the time. I love it.
I do vent, put I still make my own tape for the show. This way I can put sound and music in my show.
I love the use of tapes.

Emmett
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
I'll add my thoughts here, even though they fairly well echo those of the above posts...
If you are not using a mic but are using a tape player for your puppets voice, then yes, in my opinion the effect is lessened by the birds voice coming from the player. Also I'm not entirely sure how professional it would appear with you speaking 'dry' and using a player for your puppet.

If you are using a mic and your tape player is amped then both your voices will be coming from the speakers. In this case I don't think the effect is lessened. HOWEVER...this year I have had to perform somebody elses show and it requires me to perform to a backing and I absolutely loathe it!
As stated above, there are times when the laughter goes longer than anticipated and other times an audience member will say something that you'd like to respond to. If you are working with a backing, generally you will have to just keep rolling regardless of what is happening with your audience. I personally believe they deserve better than that.
Which ever way you decide to go I wish you all the best and I hope you keep us all posted about your progress.
Cheers
Billy
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
My thoughts: I think that there is nothing wrong with the usage of tapes, BUT you must not sell yourself as a ventriloquist.

Layman's expectations of a ventriloquist is that you must be able to "vent" it out, not to use the tape.

If you must use the tape, you must sell the show as a puppet show or something like that.

In short, DON'T LIE TO THE AUDIENCE.

I also feel that recorded tapes are only suitable for stage shows and not for birthday parties because you can "escape" with no children's participation in a stage show but you cannot "escape" in a birthday party...
-----

Joseph Then

Singapore Ventriloquist
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
Our AxTrax CDs are a great help to non-vents but you would have greater flexibility learning ventriloquism but I know that it's not for everyone so we provide the CDs to help.

EXCITING NEWS! We are making more routines this year and will start a new category of AXTRAX called "AXTRAX - Wide Open". These will be routines that are non-specific to the charcter and each routine on a given CD will have several different character voices so you'll have a choice to use ANY puppet with ANY "wide open" AxTrax Routine.

And about that "Cheezy American Accent"? LOL! You can record your own tapes using your own voice as the character with our sound effects and music tracks.

Let me know your comments on this and what kind of routines you would like by email steve@axtell.com as I don't get here as often as I wish I could.

Thanks.
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Pro Puppets, Magic & Animatronics
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
I do Axtell's drawing board. Use the Art-O-Matic pre-recorded tape. Get a great reaction. Sometimes the kids laugh so loud I cant hear my tape.

I also do some vent stuff to add to the comedy of my other tricks.

Go to Axtell site and look at testimonials from happy customers.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
328 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
I don't use prerecorded vent tapes, but because our mother tongue is not English. Smile

Several magicians use puppets, which only whisper to them. So you don't need to be a ventriloquist to use puppets in your show.

Another way is try to avoid using words which contain bilabial sound when the puppet talk. Then you are a half ventriloquist now. Smile

Regards,

Budi Ha Ha
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
Chuck Lyons
View Profile
Loyal user
Channahon, IL
264 Posts

Profile of Chuck Lyons
I have been a vent for 34 years now and I must say that I love the tapes also. I use several vent items in my show Drawing board. Possum, or vent mask, ect. What the tape does for me is to add variety and it appears that I am a great performer because of the range. Not all the character sond the same or similar. High voice or low or dumb voice or nasal voice. Like any other prop its all in how a performer uses it. It can be a great item or a lowsy one. I have seen some performers take a lousy trick and make it appear like a miracle. Its all how you handle it.
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
578 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
I have to say, that if it were not for the Axtell tapes I might never have learned ventriloquism. But the presence of the tapes gave me confidence to buy a puppet and work with it. So thanks to Steve Axtell for getting me started.

The routines on the tapes are great and I have friends who don't do vent but use the tapes and they get a great reaction.

Oliver
Tate
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
211 Posts

Profile of Tate
Quote:
On 2004-08-15 19:30, the Sponge wrote:When using one of Axtell's tapes, is the effect lessened because the bird's voice is coming from the recorder?

From the number of replies about laughter over-riding the tape, the answer is "No." I use the Art-O-Matic with the Drawing Board tape and I've had the same response at times. The kids go nuts over the Drawing Board.

Like Oliver Twist, the tapes have helped me to the point that I've bought the Steve Taylor course and I'm working on learning vent. But don't let anyone "shame" you into learning vent, Jim Henson wasn't a vent. If you feel that the only way to work a puppet is by learning vent, you may put it off and not have the fun of puppetry. And if you eventually decide to learn vent, you'll already have the experience of working with your puppet and so you won't have to learn to "rub your head and pat your stomach" at the same time. (I'm trying to say that you'll already have one skill and won't have to try to learn both at the same time.)
Chuck Lyons
View Profile
Loyal user
Channahon, IL
264 Posts

Profile of Chuck Lyons
Well said tate well said.
Tate
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
211 Posts

Profile of Tate
To clarify a sentence I wrote above.

And if (after you've worked with your puppet and pre-taped routine) you eventually decide to learn vent, you'll already have the experience of working with your puppet and so you won't have to learn to "rub your head and pat your stomach" at the same time.

Thank you.
MagicalArtist
View Profile
Veteran user
Hobart, Indiana
373 Posts

Profile of MagicalArtist
I know I'm coming to the party late, but I can't believe anyone would even consider doing a professional ventriloquist act to a pre-recorded dialogue!

Does anyone remember the old Jimmy Nelson "Instant ventriloquism" records? I tried that as a boy (even though I already knew ventriloquism) and I can't tell you how hard it was to synchronize the puppet's mouth movement to the dialogue in the recording.

You just don't realize how hard this is until you try it. Since you're not in control of the recording, no matter how many times you listen to it, you don't know exactly when the next syllable is coming. Therefore synchronization is nearly impossible.

I have seen actors playing ventriloquists on TV who were not really doing the puppet's voice. I've also seen puppets that were controlled by someone other than the one doing the voice. In all cases, it was quite obvious that the person manipulating the puppet was not the one doing the voice. Ventriloquism is not all that hard to learn, and if you can't bother to learn it, please don't try to put on a ventriloquist act.

I'd hate to see the act of anyone trying to do so using a pre-recorded voice. Such shows must be worse than awful, and this kind of thing is what gives the magician/ventriloquist a bad name. Please do not inflict this kind of cheesy garbage on an audience. Thank you.
alson
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of alson
Muzicman,
I don't wnat to get off the subject ,but I too have thought about using some tape in my show .Could you please tell me a little more about your use of a wireless remote control and what it cna be use with.
Alson
JoeFreedom
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of JoeFreedom
Hey Magical Artist,
I still have my Jimmy Nelson Album!
Joe
JoeFreedom

Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right.
sluggo
View Profile
New user
Mike B.
85 Posts

Profile of sluggo
I found it easier to just learn Vent, it makes it easy to just make whatever show you want. You can still add music to it with no problem.
But if you can do it with tapes and are good at it, go for it.
But check the tapes out so you don't get the ones with a 'cheesy' Aussie accent and puns.
Dad, magic, ventriloquism, facepainter & balloons.
A weakness for coffee (caffeine)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Question RE: prerecorded vent tapes (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL