The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Correct diameter of rope? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

yanyak5
View Profile
Regular user
Delaware
186 Posts

Profile of yanyak5
What is the average diameter of rope that magicians use? Thanks,
-Thad
Dawai
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu,Hawaii
131 Posts

Profile of Dawai
I don't think they is a correct diameter rope to use.It all depends on the routine you are going to do. But type of rope you are going to use. Where the ropes are made. And color of rope.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I have been having problems using thin clothesline nylon rope for PN. The ends are so wiggly, they flop and I end up showing too much after the stretch.
oldwilson_2000
View Profile
New user
Germany
77 Posts

Profile of oldwilson_2000
The larger the diameter, the more visible the rope is, which is an important point for stage magic. However, which diamter is best fou *you* depends on the size of your hands and the techniques that you use. Rope diameters typically vary from 1/3" to 1/2". I, for example, have use a smaller diameter because I am using a TT for one of the cuts in my c&r rope.

Frank
respho
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
74 Posts

Profile of respho
If only the ropes can be as strongly branded as the playing cards...
DrBob
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of DrBob
Depends on the trick you are doing. For example, "cut and restored rope" for a larger crowd should be done with a rope large enough for easy viewing, but still be easy to cut. I've seen everything from dental floss to clothes line to heavy magician ropes. Usually it's best to use cotton for most effects. The most visiable is usually white.

Candini: I saw another post where they had a similar problem using the clothes-line and found it helped a lot to soak the line in fabric softener for a couple of hours before you use it the first time. They said it made a big difference.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Like has already been said, there's no one correct diameter. There are varibles that determine how thick your ropes need to be. That said, most of the ropes I use are approximately 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" in diameter.

Regan
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Correct diameter of rope? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL