The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Money Paddle Routines? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Hello all,
I recently purchased the Money Paddle, because I am not a big fan of the standard Hot Rod, but I wanted a paddle-move effect to carry around. I liked the multiple climaxes of Money Paddle, so I bought one.

Now, I showed it to some friends at a session last night, and one guy pointed out something I agreed with. I showed three coins on one side, and three on the other. Next I remove one from the front and then show that one coin from the back disappeared as well. This is repeated twice more until I show both sides empty. Then I revealed a folded $20 on the paddle, and for the final climax, I revealed a mirrored side to the paddle.

Well, the phase in question is where you remove one coin from the front and the matching coin vanishes from the back as well. We felt it was making the method somewhat obvious, especially when it is done three times in a row. Now, I love the cash revelation and the mirror climax, but I do feel the removing of the coins, one by one, seems to reveal the method a bit too much. I plan on working out a routine that doesn't involve the one by one removal of the coins, but I'm not sure what the answer is yet.

Does anyone have a routine with the Money Paddle, that avoids the issue in question?
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Start with the blank side empty. Show both sides, then add a dime and make it multiply. Add another dime and it multiplies. Add a third dime and it multiplies. Just as the audience is thinking you may only be showing one side. You simply slide six dimes off the paddle and onto the table, and show both sides empty.

To make big money, you simply shake the paddle and the $20 appears. This is very startling. You remove the twenty and show both sides of the paddle again.

"Of course it's all done with mirrors," as you shake and the mirror appears.

This is the original routine as I remember it.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
It's the original as I remember it too, and it's the way it should be done in my opinion.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I agree, Larry, it is what makes sense of the setup, with a bill covering the mirror, and three dimes on top of the bill. The complexity of the setup is very confusing to a spectator.

The pushing off of the dimes is a big surprise, and eliminates the spectator's guess that you were simply turning the paddle funny, or somehow slipping a dime on the other side each time. Having six dimes pushed off the bands really throws them for a loop.

Just at that moment, the paddle is shown empty on both sides, and then the twenty appears, and the paddle is shown on both sides. Then the mirror. It is to the spectator as if he has seen four sides to the paddle.

Truly one of the best and most entertaining paddle routines ever.

Who originated this routine, anyway? It is really brilliant.
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Part of the credit for the "Cash Paddle" belongs to the late Joe Berg. His routine was published in THE TALISMAN.

Regards,

Paul Green
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Thanks, Paul. I didn't know that. I remember Joe very well. What a nice revelation!
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Thanks guys, when I bought mine, it did not come with a set of instructions, so I had never heard of that set-up. I LOVE the six dime push off idea, it is so much more convincing and less obvious than the method I saw in the demo for it.

And thanks for the PM Whit, I appreciate it.

- Edwin Louis Cole
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Has anyone a suggestion about the best place to purchase a Money Paddle. I've been warned away from one supplier, and the folks I normally patronize don't have it listed on their website.

Thanks!
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
S2000magician,
I found the Cash Paddle by Jay Leslie at Hocus Pocus. If I could do it over, this is where I would have purchased mine from.

- Edwin Louis Cole
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Thanks!
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
One more thing...

I also see that they have the Money Paddle by Joe Porper, as well as Leslie's paddle.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Danny Diamond:

Dan White has a nice presentation.

He starts out as you do but has three coins on top of the folded bill. After showing “both sides” (with the move) he takes the three coins off the top and reaches under the paddle to remove the other three, so there are now six coins on the table.

In other words, no coins disappear on their own, so to speak.

Bob
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24273 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Joe's money paddle is really very good. Andy Greget has them at the TAOM convention.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
swatchel-omi
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of swatchel-omi
I used to like to perform the "mini magna paddle". It looked like a small frying pan. You could show both sides empty, put a penny on it, give it a shake and the penny shrunk to a tiny one. Then I would tip the tiny penny into my closed fist, and when I opened my hand there would be a jumbo penny. You got the paddle, the steel coin, the tiny coin, the jumbo coin, and plastic case to keep it all together, all for 5.00. What a deal.

Joe
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Whit, thanks VERY much for posting this simple but effective Money Paddle routine.

I like paddle effects, but my Money Paddle was gathering dust in a drawer because I didn't have a good routine for it.

BTW, I got my Money Paddle from Hank Lee several years ago for about $20; it's walnut, looks good and should hold up fine. I see it's still available, but now costs $25; see http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/customer/pr......p;page=1

Sounds like the original Money Paddle routine was being "improved" to the point where it's basically unusable!! Just goes to prove that if something isn't broken, then don't fix it. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I too, want to thank Whit for informing me of the original routine, which has such a great little convincer to throw off a spectator who has an idea of how it's done.

I had an idea which just popped into my head moments ago. I was wondering what I could go into after the Money Paddle, and there are a few ways to go. A Bill Switch could be nice, especially if I produced a relatively small bill on the paddle, and decided to change it to a bigger bill.

Another idea was to use the Xpert with the dime for a simple, in-the-hands, dime bending effect. I liked this idea because it would flow perfectly from the Money Paddle routine, and it would leave the spectator with a souvenir. If anyone is interested in discussing my dime-bending routine, shoot me a PM.

- Edwin Louis Cole
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
This is the only one I will ever use. After the whole things over you can milk it for three more and get 9 pennies total. Antique finish so you don't have to wait for it to tarnish up.

http://www.ronjo.com/thestore/prods/HYPNOPDL.html
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
danielrhall
View Profile
Regular user
NH, where some days I feel as dumb as
181 Posts

Profile of danielrhall
Quote:
On 2004-08-20 11:30, Danny Diamond wrote:
S2000magician,
I found the Cash Paddle by Jay Leslie at Hocus Pocus. If I could do it over, this is where I would have purchased mine from.

I've purchased two cash paddles from Hocus Pocus in the past two months. In both cases, I ordered Jay Leslie's Cash Paddle and received a generic wooden cash paddle. I spoke with Jason at HP last night and, after some discussion, he hung up and called Jay Leslie, then called me back. Then Jay called me. After some more discussion, he determined that I did indeed have the wrong paddle, and he's sending me one of his.

The first time it happened to me, I thought it was an innocent mistake at HP by whomever filled the order. After the second time, it's clear that HP had no idea that what was being sent out was not Jay's paddle. Jason knows now, so if you order the Jay Leslie Cash Paddle from Hocus Pocus, that should be what you get. If you ordered one recently and got a cash paddle with six crudely cut glass mirror insets, you didn't get Jay's paddle.

-Dan
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Quote:
On 2004-08-18 15:12, Whit Haydn wrote:
Start with the blank side empty. Show both sides, then add a dime and make it multiply. Add another dime and it multiplies. Add a third dime and it multiplies. Just as the audience is thinking you may only be showing one side. You simply slide six dimes off the paddle and onto the table, and show both sides empty.

To make big money, you simply shake the paddle and the $20 appears. This is very startling. You remove the twenty and show both sides of the paddle again.

"Of course it's all done with mirrors," as you shake and the mirror appears.

This is the original routine as I remember it.

This may be "icing on the cake" for a great routine, but there is also an interesting move for a Money Paddle that I found in J.G. Thompson's "My Best."

Without tipping the method, let's just say it is a very creative use of a simple finger palm . . . . Now I'm trying to work out a way to incorporate it into the standard routine. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24273 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There is a variation on the standard Paddle Move in my book The Early History of the Paddle Trick in Print. It is an idea from Eddy Taytelbaum, called the "half" paddle move.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Money Paddle Routines? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL