The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Zenner-Tech: The downside (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chanor
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
167 Posts

Profile of chanor
Although the climax is shockingly good, the problems are (1) the need to miscall at the beginning [which bothers spectators], (2) the dead time required to place the stickers on the cards centrally, (3) the need to draw the ESP symbols exactly as the gaffed ones [lest an observant spectator note the difference]and (4) that the critical moment "talks" in a quiet room [a problem with many effects]. Any thoughts from the thought-readers?
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1342 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
Hey Chanor,

1. For one there is no need to do a miscall. Quiet simple really just say "Obviously at this point you don't know which card is which... correct?" Just go on to say that "we are going to try a little experiment which may or may not work but we will give it a shot"
No need at all to draw attention to this phase...its done this way because its done this way... simple as that.

2. The dead time as you call it can be used to great effect. Just think about it...this time can be used to build up the effect with creative patter.

3. Come on not a chance. I have performed this about 10 times to date and the drawings are never questioned. Just make your last drawing similiar to the one which you did earlier....thats the one that will be on view the longest time but still in fairness it does not have to be an exact duplicate...

4. Use some tape to cover the noise. It's simple really, and if for some reason you can't find tape then talk as the action takes place. But for me, a little bit of tape took care of any noise problems.

Overall great effect, gets great reactions and in the spectators mind they did everything and they are the heroe's with the "ability" Just don't over think things and give it a shot! Once you try it, I promise you all your worries will vanish.

Hope this helps and have a great day!
Yours Sincerley,
Pete Carroll
glenn collins
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of glenn collins
To emphasise the point Peter made re: point 3, I was showing this to a magician friend of mine, I did not want to go through the entire routine, just to give him an idea of what the effect was. so I did not stick and draw. when I did the reveal he didn't even notice that there had been no previouse drawing???

Either the effect of correctly nameing five cards is that strong that it flipped his mind or my presentation was that naff he fell into a coma and just has no recollection of it???

Either way don't worry about the fine detail. I have performed this near on thirty times and no one has noticed anthing, even some very knowledgable magicians.
Keep real...
Glenn.
the road we travel is lined with beauty but as with all roads, mind the pot holes...
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
876 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
People interested in this effect may be interested in John Riggs' book 'The Psychic Agenda', which contains an effect called They Hell Fire. It's pretty much exactly the same effect (from the audience p.o.v.) but it's beautifully simple, sweet and deceptive. It doesn't the same gimmick as Zenner Tech, but whether this makes it better or worse is purely a matter of personal preference. (I've purchased Zenner Tech, and I'd say both versions have their place, depending on the performance context, but the Riggs version has always seemed perfectly good enough to me.) Jim Fassbinder, who does the wonderful San Francisco Ghost Walk, uses They Hell Fire as one of his opening effects, and you couldn't wish to see a more beautiful piece of simple, straightforward mentalism.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
chanor
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
167 Posts

Profile of chanor
Thanks, Pete, for your great suggestions. I HAVE performed this effect several times and the criticisms came from obsessive observers. I now use a pencil, as a pen can cause a tell-tale smudge in attempting to duplicate a design. The principle of this effect is an old one, as Ian notes. Misdirection here involves the spectator's busily trying to draw a nice star at the "moment of truth."
During the affixing of labels I patter about "test conditions" and "verifying" that these are the original cards chosen.
There are numerous magic effects involving apparatus that make giveaway noise in quiet settings and are challenging to the performer. Auditory misdirection is an art. Could be a new topic.
Michael Singer
View Profile
New user
Seattle
33 Posts

Profile of Michael Singer
I was concerned about the noise too. But I've found that if you hold the item in question naturally, with the thumb on top and the fingers lightly underneath at the end, the fingers can create a sort of bumper that slows the acceleration/lessens the surface area that contacts and makes noise. Play with it and hopefully you'll see what I mean!

Mike
"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery." - Ken Kesey
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:
On 2004-08-19 17:31, Ian Rowland wrote:
People interested in this effect may be interested in John Riggs' book 'The Psychic Agenda', which contains an effect called They Hell Fire. It's pretty much exactly the same effect (from the audience p.o.v.) but it's beautifully simple, sweet and deceptive.

John's effect is based on Paul Curry's killer
"Probability zero" John's idea using emotions is stellar though, so many possibilities.
Cheers,
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Zenner-Tech: The downside (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL