The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusion Books/Videos (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
The Illusionworks CD's are just fine but not great in my opinion.

Personal taste maybe.
plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
Hi Green,

If I remember right now there's only one volume of the Illusionworks book out. I believe there's a video version too of all four books. One is called THE BASE BOOK and deals with bases and steps. I'm sorry I don't know more about it. Bye.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Quote:
On 2004-08-25 23:23, NFox wrote:
I should have ALL four Illusionworks videos (with companion music CD) coming in in the next few days...Oh how I love ebay.

Nick,

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Richard
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Quote:
On 2004-08-26 13:57, plainman007 wrote:
Hi Green,

If I remember right now there's only one volume of the Illusionworks book out. I believe there's a video version too of all four books. One is called THE BASE BOOK and deals with bases and steps. I'm sorry I don't know more about it. Bye.

The only Randy Woodbury book that is still in print is 'Diversions', which is a good book to have in your collection.

Illusionsworks 1, 2 and 3 are out of print, as is The Base Book (it was published before the Illusionworks books), but show up on eBay quite often.

All 4 of the Illusionworks videos are still available from your favorite magic dealer.

Rick
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Okay, I just got the Illusionworks tapes in today...and had a marathon video session in which I watched every one from beginning to end all in a row. I was very impressed with all of them. The first one outlines some of the basic materials that will be needed as well as how to construct your own base and set of stairs step by step. The second, more or less, walks you through 4 of his illusions, including their methods but also some information on how they were built. Video three was filled with general and specific tips for illusion builders (a lot of time is spent on attaching vinyl/naughahyde/felt to illusions properly). Video four takes you on a tour of Bill Smith and Douglas Wayne's shops. Toward the end of video four, some more general tips are given out. I got lucky and found all four videos on ebay and was able to get them for a fraction of what they would normally cost.

The [royalty-free] music CD is okay, but not spectacular. If you need music you can probably work with it, but in general it's just not MY cup of tea.

Nick Fox

PS: John, regarding the "thought process" I would have to go with what a few have already said: Go with Jim Steinmeyer. His books are second to none. If beginning to build becomes your "thing" check Paul Osborne's stuff out.
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
boboshempy
View Profile
Veteran user
Jersey
373 Posts

Profile of boboshempy
I have been convinced. I ordered Jim Steinmeyer's book "Device and Illusion" off his website because it looks like it has some great illusions plans in it and everyone raves about it. I ordered it 9 days ago and have not recieved it yet, and Jim has not returned my emails. I will tell you what I think when I get it.
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Bobo, you will not be disappointed! Just remember that Jim is a very busy man, I'm sure he'll get it out to you as quickly as possible.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
I find Andrew Mayne illusions to be great and suitable for the "one-man-performer". He has illusion plans that are fairly easy to make but not that expensive. Smile
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
Not only is Jim Steinmeyer a very busy man, but his operation is not a company as we think of most magic dealers (Stevens, Hank Lee, et al). There is no clerk or demonstrator to reply to emails if Jim isn't there. He's pretty much a one-man show last I knew.
An incredibly prolific one... but still just one guy!
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusion Books/Videos (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL