The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Books of Thayer instruction sheets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I was thinking of purchasing one or more volumes in this 4-volume set, which was assembled by Glenn Gravatt in the 1980's. It contains the catalog descriptions of various Thayer effects, along with the matching instructions for performing the tricks.

I'd like some opinions from folks who have seen it. Is it well done, and are the instructions interesting to read?

Thanks in advance for any info on this. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
If you collect Thayer the books are invaluable. the books are well bound, logically grouped and relatively complete.
Some of the materials are, of course, dated but the instructions can help trigger the creative juices to come up with current applications.
As a certifiable book nut, I recommend all the historical data you can take in.
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Thanks. BTW, I've located what seems to be two different printings. The first was by Magic, Ltd., from Oakland, California in 1979. Another was done by Lee Jacobs in 1980 or 1981.

Any idea on what happened here, or if the Jacobs printing was a reprint?
kbfnyf
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of kbfnyf
I own this set & agree with Dave's comments. They are exactly what you would expect. More info about this series and a review can be found on Andy Martin's Website:

Click Here!

Bailey
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Thanks for the info and Bailey, thanks for the magic book website, it's fascinating.

I've ordered Volume 1 for starters, and if I enjoy it, well, there's always volumes 2, 3 and 4!! SETH
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I have the entire set and highly recommend these to anyone who has a sincere interest in the history and workings of various magical devices. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I have a set of Plans for the Thayer Improved Sub Trunk but can't make heads or tails of it
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Bailey,
I have to thank you for the website on books it is fantastic especially with me being a magic book addict.
Rennie
P.S. I also own the Thayer books and really enjoy reading the ads for the tricks and of course the explanation being a lot simpler than you would think.
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Barajista
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Barajista
One thing I love about the Thayer books is that they are great for learning tricks, but are enjoyable also to browse casually. Nice on a rainy day with nothing to do!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Books of Thayer instruction sheets (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL