The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » A funny thing happened... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Hey all! I did a show earlier this afternoon and it was interesting to say the least. I feel like sharing my experience. Maybe you'll take from it a lesson or maybe just a laugh.

Every so often, I perform at a Children's Hospital through the Starlight Foundation. They always tell me, "We never know how many kids we're going to have," but in the past 5 or so performances I've done for them, I've never had under 12 kids in the crowd. Well, today, I started the show with 6 people in the audience. Three were patients and three were people that worked at the hospital. The show I had planned was for younger kids, but the kids that were there were around 10 years old. So, I have to improvise--no problem. I pulled out a few of my 'older' tricks and tweaked a few of the presentations. About 3 more people eventually came to watch the show. Only one of those three was a kid, but she was about 6 years old.

But that's not the best part! No no...in the middle of my show, there's this big fire alarm and the hospital was going through a Code Red fire drill. So, I leave my stuff sitting where it was and followed everybody to where we were supposed to be. After that lovely 'intermission,' I continued the show.

Everything went fine, but it was an experience like no other performance that I've done. Anyway, I just thought I'd share Smile
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I've had a similar sort of thing this week. I've put together a primary schol (under11) show about recycling. I turn up to do the shows for a science festival and its full of teenagers!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7437 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Because of fire alarms, I've had to leave my props and show in the middle of a school classroom show, a school assembly show, and even a mall show!

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Last summer, I was working in a library, on the second floor when they had a bomb threat. One of the librarians walked up to me right smack in the middle of the show and whispered it into my ear. I was standing there staring at about 200 kids and parents. I made a brief statement that we had been asked to do more of the show outside and that we needed to line up so we could go. It only took a few minutes to get everyone out, and I magished for them on the sidewalk with a TT and silk, while the police did their job in the building. I should mention that the last thing I grabbed on my way out the door was my fire book, which is custom made to produce a HUGE flame. Didn't think it wise to let the bomb sniffing dogs find it.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » A funny thing happened... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL