We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Vanishing Spring Snake (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
Hi guys, I am working on a routine where I need to vanish a spring snake & have it turn into a silk scarf. Is there any type of canister available that can be used to vanish a spring snake?

I was thinking of making up some type of nesting clear canister that works like a dove pan in reverse. If anyone knows of any products that could be used or ideas etc please let me know.

Andy
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Andy:

What about the Abbott's Casket of Pandora? It's real simple - it basically works like a Niffen Tube but even simpler. You put a dove (or spring snake) in one end of the tube, put the cap on, and toss the tube in the air. Cap is removed and dove (or spring snake) is turned into a silk (or whatever).

Abbott's still sells this effect.

Ron
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
Thanks Ron, that is a possibility.

Here is the link: https://elektra.safe-order.net/abbottmagic//p881.html
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7454 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
While I don't have a Duane Laflin catalog handy (so I can't tell you the exact name), he had a prop a few years ago that worked on a dove pan principle, but resembled a cannister on a pedestal. It was about 3-4" diameter, and the lid overlaped the main cannister. There were two sizes (heights) available.

You could put items into it, and vanish them (it sounded like it worked in a backwards dove pan way).

I don't see it on his website. Perhaps you could e-mail him and ask.

The Switch Can is different (I have one of those).

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2122 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I think that's the indian sweet vase, is it tall and red?
Matt
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I think your main problem is going to be finding something which the will hold the spring snake in place once you do the vanish. Practical magic do a magic paint pot but I don't know how firmly the load chamber fits. if it's loose the spring in the snake will tend to push it out of place.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7454 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2004-08-20 07:34, magic_matt wrote:
I think that's the indian sweet vase, is it tall and red?
Matt

No Matt, it was silver. Not painted. It came in two heights, one was taller than the other.

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
Now I know nothing about the product from Abbott's but when I read the discription and then read the price, the two didn't seem to go together in my mind! $75, whew that's a lot for a tube.
What if you wrapped the snake in something before you vanished it. So it wouldn't spring out. Things that come to mind: rubber band, hair band, velcro strap. etc.
Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
Well, thanks for you tips & ideas. You have been helpful. I think what I will do is make my own version of the Casket of Pandora by gluing two plastic screw top containers end on end (containers $1.45 each). Iˇ¦ve got the containers I just need to make up a collar to cover the middle section. I think what I might do to aid the illusion is use some text graphic logo on the front & then the same graphic upside-down on the other side. Either that or use some of that special mirror writing that looks the same upside-down.

Now my spring caterpillar can turn into a silk butterfly!
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
Now it sounds like your onto something Andy. What if you just used some colored tape to join them and used it again at the top as stripe/trim? Some of that stuff, such as the mylar and chrome tapes, look really good from just a few feet away.
Edd
Maybe I'm just cheap?
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
788 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Andy, you're the man! I too Don seem to recall Duane's tube that was used as you say. You may check with with him Andy and he may just have what your looking for or steer you into the right direction.

Snidini
magic559
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of magic559
How about a flipover box? Here's the basic thing: http://www.magictricks.com/animal/flipoverbox.htm

The one I used to have had a huge load space, still... I don't know if it was big enough for a spring snake. Prop is a little angly too.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Vanishing Spring Snake (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL