The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Copperfield's Rope Routine??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

respho
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
74 Posts

Profile of respho
Hi, we all heard about DC cutting his finger off during a rope trick. I'd like to ask has anyone seen the routine and is it featured on any of his TV specials? How does it look like? The routine involves using scissors - so those rope-conserving routines are out.

I believe he is not doing the routine anymore after the accident.
oldwilson_2000
View Profile
New user
Germany
77 Posts

Profile of oldwilson_2000
I didn't know he cut himself during a rope routine. When did that happen?

The only rope routine performed by Copperfield that I know of is based on MacKing's "Other Rope Routine" using a presentation idea from Whit Haydn. I think it's in the Orient Express TV Special.

Anyone correct me, please, if I'm wrong.

Frank
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Well, the bad thing about using David's presentation is that you can only do it ten times depending on how much you practice.

Kregg
POOF!
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
He explained it when he guested on Ophra Winfrey's talk show.
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1152 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
He also discussed it on an episode of the Arsenio Hall show. He basically cut the tip of his finger off, had to end the show right then and there, 20 minutes into the show and head to the hospital. The story he told was that it was the same night that Mike Tyson was in town fighting, and it was actually Tyson's "cut man" who was at the hospital and sewed the tip back on.

It is based on Mac King's Other Rope Routine. David changed the last phase which allows the knot to slide off of both ropes. Frank is also correct that he credits Whit Haydn for the angle of having the specator do everything (nothing) while not paying attention. (From Whit's 4 Ring Routine).

The irony of all of this was, I remember David telling that story around the 1991 time frame. Then in 1996, I was hired by Disney to do a benefit show at a local Childrens Hospital and cut through my knuckle doing Mac's Rope Routine. Blood was everywhere, and we patched it back up. About a month ago, Mac was interviewed and mentioned that he cut his finger doing the rope routine.

It is a great routine...but beware...it is apparently jinxed.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Cut-Alert!!!!

If you, just like me, are used to work in front of a mirror, be careful that when you "snip" that siccors, look at your real hand and rope, NOT at the mirror.

I remember a lot of blood as well!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Copperfield's Rope Routine??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL