The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review Request: X-Deck (by David Forrest) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gio
View Profile
Loyal user
Genova - Italy
247 Posts

Profile of gio
Has anyone tried X-Deck?

The blurb is:
Quote:
The spectator is asked to think of ANY card. The deck is removed and the cards fanned FRONT AND BACK. You ask the spectator to name their card for the first time. You fan through the deck and their card is removed to reveal it has a large 'X' drawn on it!

It seems a (very interesting) improvement of the invisible deck...

Cheers,
Gio
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2042 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Gio,
Come Sta,
No it is not an improvement of the invisible deck, it is actually an improvement of the Fred deck.Works as described except cannot show backs and fronts completely. I personlly like it and never fails to amaze.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Hi gio,

I use my X-DECK now instead of the Invisible Deck for walk around work, table hopping etc. For me the main benefit is being able to handle the deck very fairly and, despite what Rennie said, you CAN show it front and back.

Rennie, I'm glad you are getting good reactions from it but I don't understand why you would say that you can't fairly show both sides of the deck. You can, that's one of the main benefits. I'm not familiar with the 'Fred' deck but I do have a 'Phil' deck and the methods for both are million miles apart. Anyway, as I said, I'm glad you're getting good reactions.

Yours,

Dave.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2042 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Dave,
My X deck cannot show all the backs completely, they can be fanned ( front & back ) but you can only show complete backs or fronts on 26 cards. Do we agree on this as I may have something different.I have so many gaffed decks maybe I am losing my mind.I may be wrong so please let me know as I do not want to give the wrong info on something.
Rennie
D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
316 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
I don't want to know how this works but would appreciate the answer to two questions....is it rough and smooth, and is it easily reset ? If that's a No and Yes, I'll be buying several.
David Hawkins

djhawkins2014@gmail.com
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2042 Posts

Profile of Rennie
DJ,
Mine is not rough / smooth, no reset as you do not shuffle.I assume the deck Dave has is the same.
Rennie
digitaltrip
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of digitaltrip
Quote:
On 2004-08-20 15:23, D J Hawkins wrote:
I don't want to know how this works but would appreciate the answer to two questions....is it rough and smooth, and is it easily reset ? If that's a No and Yes, I'll be buying several.

Hi DJ,

I'm also interested in the X-Deck as well and I'm thinking about picking it up. From the demo, it appeared to be rough and smooth... But of course I would love to have confirmation from the creator himself. Smile Also, my opinion is that the reset wouldn't take too long.

I think the phrase "showing fronts & backs" can imply that you can show all 52 cards front and back. But as Rennie has pointed out, he can only show 26 (which is closer to how I think the X-Deck operates). So as an extension to DJ's question about rough/smooth: I'd like to ask if you can show all 52 backs of the deck, and all 52 faces of the deck?

Another question I have is: Does every "thought-of-card" appear as one with a red back and black "X" on its back?

digitaltrip
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2042 Posts

Profile of Rennie
The reviews from the website given by Gio,
#1-" John from Weston Super Mare on 8 Aug 2004
Ordered this trick without seeing the demo as it sounded so good. Arrived on Friday and after 10 minutes practice I was able to perform the trick. Very clever and very easy to perform no sleights needed. Only slight drawback deck cannot be examined after".
"deck cannot be exmained" That is correct

#-2" Reaction from the spectator is great first time but if shown again I got the impression that the trick was then spoilt. Would suggest that this is one for the beginner to intermediate magician".
"If shown again" This is also correct
This sounds just like mine. The effect printed on the package of mine goes like this,
THE X DECK
The Magician shows the audience a deck of cards and asks a spectator to think of one of the cards.When the spectator reveals which card he has been thinking of, the magician says that he can prove that he knew it in advance, and has already marked the card with a big X. The mark cannot be wiped off, and appears only on the selected card. The trick can be repeated at once.
As you can see my blurb states "can be repeated at once" That is true but depending on which card is selected it can easily disclose the method .Don't get me wrong I really like this trick but am trying to find out if we are all discussing the same one.
Rennie
digitaltrip
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of digitaltrip
Thanks for the extra info Rennie!

To me, it's starting to sound like the same trick. By the way, where did you get your X-Deck from? Is it not David Forrest's marketed effect at the website above? They sound very similar both in effect and in the way they work.

Interestingly, you mentioned that your X-Deck is not rough/smooth. Which now makes me wonder. Smile Because I have always thought it was.

Anyway, I'm still considering this effect. By the way, if anyone is interested, Jay Sankey has his own handling of the invisible deck called "X". It's found on his Secret Files DVD (volume 1).

digitaltrip
gio
View Profile
Loyal user
Genova - Italy
247 Posts

Profile of gio
Thanks for the info, but I'm a little puzzled: I thought there was only one X-Deck (the one by Dave) which seems to be exclusive sold by Magictricks.co.uk.
Rennie, I think your package should mention "David Forrest" otherwise we are probably talking about different effects Smile

From what I've understood, I can replace my ID with X-Deck!
Congrats Dave, it seems you have another winner Smile

Gio
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1505 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
Dan Harlan put this out about 2 years ago. I bought one from him at a convention. He also called this the X deck.
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Hi Rennie,

The X-Deck you have is not the same as the one I have recently released. Yours is (I think) the one put out by Eddie Burke's 'Mister E Enterprises' back as early as 1976 (but still being marketed to this day) called the X PACK. Cliff Lount later marketed a very similar item called 'The Maltese Cross' and Joe Riding did something similar called 'The Golden Key'. In talking through e-mail with Eddie and discussing both methods we decided that the methods where very different and that mine also had a twist which this version did not.

magicbyswh,

I tried to be as extensive as possible in checking around to see if the idea was 100% original. I didn't know that Dan Harlan had an 'X-DECK' on the market. The instructions I wrote for my X-DECK give credit to similar ideas that have been and gone, similar to the above information, but there wil always be one that gets away. In the end though, I felt that judging by what I had seen, my idea was original enough to merit a release and I stand by it.

gio,

Thanks man. Yes, as I said, I use it instead of my Invisible deck now the reactions are just as good except you have more freedom when handling the deck which can't be bad.

Cheers everyone,

Dave.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2042 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I just received a pm from Dave Forrest and he is correct. His X Deck is totally different from mine.The one I have is called The X Deck but no one's name on the package.After reading Dave's pm I would have to say he has a far superior deck than I. I am sorry for any confusion this may have caused but I thought I had what you were looking for.I guess I will be purchasing Dave's version as I do like the effect.Dave one piece of advice is keep inventing the magic as there is far to few people doing it, my hat's off to you..
Rennie
gio
View Profile
Loyal user
Genova - Italy
247 Posts

Profile of gio
Thanks anyway Rennie, it's surely not your fault if the two decks share the same name! Smile

Gio
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
944 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Quote:
Dan Harlan put this out about 2 years ago. I bought one from him at a convention. He also called this the X deck.

This comes as a complete surprise to me! I Have never marketed an effect called "X-Deck." Perhaps someone is masquerading as me? Perhaps the recollection by magicbyswh is cloudy? Is there a chance it was Dave Harlin? I think that's his name. We have (naturally) been substituted for one another before!
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1700 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Is Dave Harlin the guy who put out Cardtoon a while back?
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Watch the brilliant effect, Rule of Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CytuXsCbL0 and order it from www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1700 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Is Dave Harlin the guy who put out Cardtoon a while back?
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Watch the brilliant effect, Rule of Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CytuXsCbL0 and order it from www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
No, the person who put Cardtoon out is Dan Harlan.

Huron
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
944 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
For those who may not know, Jon is attempting a joke in his painfully British way. Be nice to him, he's had a hard week.
--Dan Harlan

P.S. -- Check out "Destination Box" by Stan Allen!
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
Basil
View Profile
Regular user
Green Bay, WI
114 Posts

Profile of Basil
Dave,

I've been trying to check out your link to Ripped and Repaired for the last couple of days(as it sounds like the sort of trick I like), but I keep getting a "Bandwidth Exceeded" error. Just thought I'd mention this in case you are unaware of the problem.

Basil
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review Request: X-Deck (by David Forrest) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL