The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Luke Jermay at Edinburgh Fringe Festival (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
David, more or less all of Luke's material went down well with the audience. I like Twisted Palm because it was a nice piece of theatre. It worked really well.

PK touches was another nice routine. The only weak part of the set for me was the pulse stop. Although it still got gasps from the audience and "how the **** did he do that". It's just my opinion that it needed a little more build up. But I also believe that some of the suggestion effects vary from audience to audience.

The day I was there it was more of a family audience. Apparently each day has fluctuated between 30 and 100 people attending. If anyone knows anything about the festival that is a really good turnover of people for unknown acts.

So I would say they are doing really well. I can assure the Twisted Palm went down a treat live.

I am still amazed as to how strong a reaction a simple tossed-out deck gets.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Great info, Shrink, much appreciated.

Yeah, those figures are great for a festival show.

I'm totally surprised at Twisted Palm going down better than the pulse stop. I've said before that IMHO the average audience member would just put it down to hypnosis, and since much more interesting things can be done with hypnosis, I'm not sure they'd think it all that great an effect. Whereas with pulse stopping, there is just no explanation for it - particularly stopping an audience member's pulse.

Glad you are impressed by the tossed-out deck. There IS a reason that the classics become classics, and it's amazing how many of us overlook them until we see them done.

Regards,

David.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
I said the palm twister went down better than the pulse stop for me personally. It was just a better piece with use of lights, etc., and a good way to end. Also it was a family audience that day which perhaps wasn't the best for that effect. Were a lot of kids in the audience. Apparently the audience changes from day to day.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
I saw a pre-festival performance. Pulse Stop was well received. The Chairs was fantastic and caught me totally off-guard. I loved it. I wish he had done PK Touches but never mind.

His thrown-out deck at the very start really set the scene and he commanded his audience very well throughout. He got a tough cookie for the palm twister but held his own.

Overall the audience responded very well to Luke's performance. Me? I loved every minute.

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Unless I missed it, nobody posted regarding the question of who wrote that long review of the show that Colin posted. I can confirm that it is by our own Drew McAdam. FWIW.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Quote:
On 2004-08-26 01:48, Andy Leviss wrote:
Unless I missed it, nobody posted regarding the question of who wrote that long review of the show that Colin posted. I can confirm that it is by our own Drew McAdam. FWIW.

Thanks for the confirmation. No offence to Drew but as far as I'm concerned since he's obviously a fan and a mentalist his review holds as much weight as the severely negative ones posted earlier and discounted because they were probably written by jealous magicians.

The search for an independent lay review continues!

Regards,

David.
adamjames
View Profile
Loyal user
England
205 Posts

Profile of adamjames
Well, I saw this show at Edinburgh, and I went with five laypeople. I was hoping it would be good, as I had suggested seeing it, but the day I went it didn't go down well with anyone---magicians or laymen.

Mandy Muden did go down quite well (and got big cheers at the end), but the first fellow and Jermay seemed to stumble through their acts. Certainly no one sitting near me (and I assume they were all laypeople since they were all impressed with Muden's card-stab) was impressed by Jermay.

I heard many people discussing how he was doing his tricks while he was doing them, and they were correct in their guesses. This was mainly because of the way he conducted himself while blindfolded and an incorrect guess of an audience member's object which looked like something other than what it was.

Luke just doesn't have the charisma or experience. And that is not only my opinion. Many people were discussing this in the Pleasance Courtyard afterwards, and they weren't all magicians.

The show fell flat on the day I saw it.

I hadn't read the reviews on the site before I went to the show, but now I have read them, I can only agree with them.

Adam
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
Chances are that I'm not going to get to see that show. I have performed in plays on stage for a few runs, a good many were comedies. I have noted that some nights the audience were laughing till there sides split and other nights they seemed dead. I'm not sure if crowd or audience mentality comes into this.

Perhaps the shows have good nights and bad nights. Of course, I'm no expert in this.

Just a thought.

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of David Numen
It's a grey area. There are some performers - and Pat Page is one of them IIRC - who insist that there is no such thing as a bad audience.

I think if you have the charisma and experience you should be able to turn an audience around. A play is a different event to an "act" mind you - there are many more variables involved in a play.

I would think a lot of Festival shows go through phases. It's a great place to be "bad" and that's something all of us need in order to get experience. However, for people to be talking about how he was doing things whilst he was performing indicates a little bit more than just a bad night.

That said, it's obviously not been the case at every performance.

Regards,

David.
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

I can't offer an opinion on that. I've never performed a large venue as a mentalist, as an actor I have and if you count weddings and events like this, etc., I have as a hypnotist.

I wonder if Luke ever sits in the dressing room or back stage and thinks, "How can I increase audience response?"

It's books on these subject I would like to read rather than just on effects.

It's easy to get laughs as a stage hypnotist, but not so easy to get the same attentive response as a mentalist I find.

H.W
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1347 Posts

Profile of Colin
Luke has sat and talked me through every part of his current 25 minute act.

He has explained why he does what he does, why he does things when he does, where the inspiration came from for such things---the list goes on!

Needless to say, the man has considered every small factor of his act and modified it to gain maximum impact from the environment he has been put in. Every time I have seen the show, it has all worked incredibly well.

He is doing a well-varied assortment of routines, and even chops and changes depending on the audience which is in. As the numbers are never guaranteed, nor the age of the audience, he has shown the capacity to modify his character to win over the audience, and at the end of the day everyone has fun! That is what it is all about.

Colin
(The massive fan of Luke's)
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of David Numen
I am sure that Luke has thought very carefully about everything he does, and I don't think anyone disputes that for a second. However, if Adamjames is to be believed, having audience members discuss methods is a fairly serious breach for any kind of magical entertainer.

Besides, thinking things through is one thing - putting it into practice and actually entertaining people is another thing and no matter what you have studied, no matter how much you have thought things through, there will be something to learn when you get on that stage and do your act.

Regards,

David.
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

I would be interested in knowing some back story on Luke---how did he get to be such a celebrity in mentalist circles?

I think his written work is fabulous, but still I wonder how it started. I never buy it when people say they have been doing it since they were five. Though they may have been I don't think that makes any difference.

If any one knows how Luke got his big start, I'd be interested to hear.

H.W
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
There is definitely a gap in the market for such a book. Mentalists would benefit from learning presentation skills aimed at maximization. Performing should be much more than effects. In fact the effects should only be part of the process.

The biggest let down from most mentalists is not understanding about how to control mental states. Also skilled use of language. I haven't seen many who have these abilities or skills with the exception of Derren Brown.

Quote:
On 2004-08-26 17:45, Hypnotic Winter wrote:

I can't offer an opinion on that, I've never performed a large venue as a mentalist, as an actor I have and if you count weddings and events like this etc I have as a hypnotist.

I wonder if Luke ever sits in the dressing room or back stage and thinks,"how can I increase audience response".

It's books on these subject I would like to read rather then just on effects.

It's easy to get laughs as a stage hypnotist but not so easy to get the same attentive responce as a mentalist I find.

H.W
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
You can't get away with having a dull personality as a mentalist because 90%+ of the performance is down to presentation and acting.

I agree entirely with Shrink about the use of language and controlling mental states, but these are relatively new concepts. The 'old' mentalists (Berglas, Canasta, Dunninger) oozed charisma and had great presence. They were also a lot older (coming back to a previous point).

I'm sticking my neck out here, but I bet a lot of these guys spent their formative years in training on the stage in the '30s and '40s and before. They learned their stagecraft from the theatre.

Maybe acting classes are a must in mentalism?
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
There are teachers all around us...great performers from all types of acts, comedians, motivational speakers, presenters. I have even started to watch the God channel on cable TV! Some of those evangalists know how to work a crowd!
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Just a note on the good audience/bad audience thing.
After having performed literally thousands of gigs as an MC, stand-up,musician, and magic/mentallism I absolutely KNOW that there 'IS' such a thing as a 'bad audience', and whenever I hear people talk about there being no such thing I cringe with embarrassment for them. The saying: "there's no such thing as a bad audience" can only be used by complete and absolute twits who for some strange reason seem to enjoy using it to chastise those whom they consider to be lesser individuals than they. They should be kicked hard on the shins and booed loudly!
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Having seen how bad British audiences are when watching acts on the Costa Del Sol, I would agree with Bobser that you CAN have a bad audience.

That said, the mighty Pat Page - a magician who I have a great deal of respect for - would categorically say there is no such thing as a bad audience.

I don't have the experience as a performer to say which side of the fence I am on - I still think a charismatic and powerful personality can crack the tougher eggs but I'm sure even the greats had their bad days. I'm sure it's all in the management of the situation.

Regards,

David.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
All audiences are good as long as I get paid and have a getaway car ready turning over at the back door!

A tip I learned the hard way never do Senior Military Balls in the UK. They are a no go area...
adamjames
View Profile
Loyal user
England
205 Posts

Profile of adamjames
Quote:
On 2004-08-26 18:16, bartlewizard wrote:
However, if Adamjames is to be believed, having audience members discuss methods is a fairly serious breach for any kind of magical entertainer.

I'm just reporting what happened at the particular show I was at. It wasn't so much guessing what he was doing, as REALISING what he was doing...the methods were obvious by his presentation, to be honest. It was a shame...I had looked forward to this show.

If Luke did indeed change his show around, that could explain why some liked it and some didn't...they would have seen different things.

Adam
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Luke Jermay at Edinburgh Fringe Festival (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL